Moving to Dublin, How Are The Irish Steelers?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Lyon

Moving to Dublin, How Are The Irish Steelers?

Post by Travis Lyon »

I've recently been accepted to study for a masters degree at Trinity College Dublin and will be moving to Dublin come mid-August. I know there's an Irish Steel Guitar Convention, but I was wondering what the music scene over there is like. I will be bringing my steel with me as an oversize/overweight piece of checked luggage (it's an MSA, solid as a rock and I'll pack it well) and a guitar, so I'll be searching for gigs to supplement my income while I'm otherwise being sucked dry as a student. I know there are some Irish players around here somewhere, and I would appreciate any advice or recommendations for good teachers to grab a lesson or two from.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Travis, there are many excellent steelers in Ireland, and you'll be lucky to be in Dublin where the annual steel guitar festival is held (the only one in Europe these days) which attracts great players from all over EU (plus a few guests from more distant lands). Lucky you! :)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

You should talk with Basil Henriques. He played steel in Ireland for many years and used to run a radio station over there.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

One of the organizers of the Irish Steel Show is Forumite Mike Fereday. You can reach him here through the Forum. Heck of a nice guy, known him for years.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

You will be as busy as you want to be with the singer songwriter and band scene. It is a great town. I don't know the country music scene there though.

If you get the chance to play fiddle tunes in the pubs go for it. That stuff is a great workout and super fun to play.
Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 10 Jun 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

If you get in touch with Joe Ryan or Paul Brennan in Dublin, they probably know all the right people in the business. And if you need a steel while in Dublin, just contact Ted Nesbitt in Northern Ireland, he always has some well polished guitars around.
Peter (from a more distant land)
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Yes, Ted Nesbitt is a good contact, who can advise you on the general music scene in Ireland. Here he is playing on a YouTube clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnNLUJOz50

Also, if you want to know anything about steel guitar tone, Ivor Greenwood is your man. He could spend an hour or three advising you on what makes good steel guitar tone. He just loves MSA guitars, so you would have a lot in common as he has a number of them. Here is a clip of Ivor driving just the way that he does when he is in Dallas every March attending the TSGA meet. The Dallas highway police have always failed to catch up with him. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep8kcRZ01mo

Ditto too on Mike Fereday - a real gentleman and steel guitar aficionado. Mike lives in England, but sits on the board of the Irish Steel Guitar Show committee. :D
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I love going over there. They'll drink a pint or two with you too!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Tim Sergent wrote: They'll drink a pint or two with you too!
... following which, they'll drink a pint or two with you... 8)
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

They also have this unusual accent which makes everything sound like an Irish joke :lol:
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

That's right. And did I tell ya the one about "Paddy"...?
Roy Heap

Post by Roy Heap »

Travis, the Godfather of the Irish Steel guitar Festival and also a very busy session steeler is Richard Nelson.
Richard is a member of this forum and a real nice guy.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Ahhh Jimmy my boy you caught me out on that one ...damn Irish heritage hehe ...
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

You can run but you can't hide...
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Look up Paul Sheerin. He and a number of other members of this musical family are stalwarts of the Irish live music scene, so he should not be too hard to find. They recently got together to record a live album with Joni Harms - "From Oregon to Ireland" - and it's a good'un :)
Bob Ricker

Post by Bob Ricker »

Maybe "The Commitments" can use a steel player? Better learn Try A Little Tenderness".