Emmons Push/Pull Drop Spring

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lana Carroll

Emmons Push/Pull Drop Spring

Post by Lana Carroll »

I broke one of the drop return springs that holds the lowers in place on the changer in my push/pull. I think I found a replacement spring but I imagine this could happen again so I want to be prepared. It's my understanding that Emmons does not have any in stock. Anyone have a few extras they'd be willing to sell me, or suggestions on where I can pick up a few?

I'm also looking for fixes or tips on how to deal with this issue. I only found one other thread on this from before which is helpful.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/011631.html

Thank you - Lana Carroll

Jack Stepick

Emmons return spring

Post by Jack Stepick »

Contact John Widgren who's a member of the forum. He's an expert on steel repair and especially push/pulls.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

It's been my experience that push/pull drop return springs rarely break. In fact, I've never had one break. But, of course, Jack's experience proves that those situations do occur.

I'm sure that if you put a Wanted-to-Buy posting here on the Forum for a couple of drop springs you'd get several replies. I do not think they are rare or particularly hard to find, at least not like p/p bell cranks.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I have some at the shop.
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

Thanks Jim! I will be in touch off-list.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

are emmons bellcranks hard to find? i've got quite a few stashed from all of my p/p tinkering endeavors. i pretty much hoard little steel guitar parts.
what's the going rate for the bellcranks?

i may have run out of extra original collars.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Chris,

Email sent.

Thanks.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

If the string doesn't lower you can run the lower adjusting screw all the way in.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I've owned/played four P/P's over the last ten years, and had two springs break on me. In each case I was able to re-bend the broken spring and re-use it without any problems. it's a little tricky getting it back in there and adjusting the tension, but it worked for me.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

John has the answer. You can steel one from the F# if you don't lower it.

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

For my 67' Emmons, I was able to obtain a few of the spring parts from MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com). The part number for the lowering spring is 06979686

If you use these springs from MSC, you will have to concoct a wire connector between the lower spring and the lower finger. That's the way my old Emmons was configured.
Jerry Jones
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I had one break with no spares. I think bent a hook in the end of the broken end of the spring so it would re-attach to the lower return spring rod. Then I tuned the changer again by pulling the spring until the finger hit the body + 1/4". Then I tightened the collar with the allen wrench and a pliers. I suggest you keep all 10 lower return springs on each neck to balance the changer.

Jerry Jones - thanks for the link to new springs.