adjusting changers

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Jackson

adjusting changers

Post by Larry Jackson »

I'm about to put some new string on. I've been playing on the same strings since I bought my PSG. I've always noticed that a couple of the pedals throw a little sharp when pressed.

If the problem persists after I replace the strings, is there any reason why I can't adjust the changers myself? I know which changer goes with each pedal/lever. I believe you turn the changer counter clockwise to "flatten" the pulled note, right? I would just be doing quarter turns, just a little at a time....I have a good tuner and a good ear.

Should I give it a go?
BMI S10, Beard E model reso, Gold Tone Deluxe Beard Sig. reso, Guild acoustic guitar
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

What kind of guitar?
Some student models (and old pro models) tune RAISED notes with the keyhead and the open notes at the changer end.
On modern guitars, that's not adjustment, that's a regular part of tuning (don't feel bad for not knowing that, one of the big young names in blues Tele didn't know that those plastic nuts were for tuning the changes, he has a GFI at home), and you tune the pedals with the little plastic nuts.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Well, Lane, I'm fairly new as you probably know. Sounds like I've got it backwards a little bit. I haven't done anything yet. I've got a late 90's BMI S10. How would you suggest I proceed. I feel like I can do it. You know-- tune just a little, check it, tune just a bit more, check it, etc....

On my guitar do I tune raised notes with the key head and open notes at the changer end?
BMI S10, Beard E model reso, Gold Tone Deluxe Beard Sig. reso, Guild acoustic guitar
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

larry..tune your open string note with the tuning keys at the keyhead. then adjust the raise or lower distance at the changer end when you press the pedal. you were right...nylon turns to the right (clockwise) to raise more.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

.. same to lower more.
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Thanks guys....I had been reading up and I thought that would be right on this, but just wanted to check. I'll put the new strings on first and see how it acts. Then make gradual adjustments till it sounds right.

Oh well, even if I get it way out of whack, the guy who works on them is only a couple clicks down the road at BMI.

Thanks for the responses. I think I can do it, though......
:)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Do you have a list of string gauges recommended for the BMI? They vary a bit on a couple of strings from some packaged sets, Ernie Ball for one. String 6 for instance is wound in the package but the guitar probably has plain, if it is strung as it originally came. I think there is at least one other string that is a different gauge. The guitar has gauged rollers so using a different string will possibly affect the string heights and will definitely affect the tuning. I have the recommended gauges from BMI...I will add them here when I get to where they are.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

You might try emailing them through their website...

http://www.beckmusicalinstruments.com/
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Most of us check/adjust these things a bit every time we play- you will get used to it and find that it takes very little time.
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Jim Williams wrote:Do you have a list of string gauges recommended for the BMI? They vary a bit on a couple of strings from some packaged sets, Ernie Ball for one. String 6 for instance is wound in the package but the guitar probably has plain, if it is strung as it originally came. I think there is at least one other string that is a different gauge. The guitar has gauged rollers so using a different string will possibly affect the string heights and will definitely affect the tuning. I have the recommended gauges from BMI...I will add them here when I get to where they are.
I was just going to put the same kind back on it. But I would definitely be interested in seeing those gauges recommended for a BMI S10.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

There is a good possibility that it has the right gauge on it now. I will post the gauges I got from them when I get back home tonight. I do remember for sure that the 3rd string G# is an 11, not a 10 sent in some sets. My BMI will dependably break 10's. I also believe it uses a 17 on string 5 instead of an 18 as well as the 22 plain on 6 as I mentioned earlier. I would also add that unless you have a micrometer or your music shop does, it may be hard to know exactly what gauge the strings on it are. I would replace them with the suggested string info from BMI and re-tune if necessary.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.