Unbranded Valco 8-string lap steel (Sold)

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Chase Brady

Unbranded Valco 8-string lap steel (Sold)

Post by Chase Brady »

This is an unbranded but unmistakably Valco made instrument equivalent to the Supro Jet Airliner model. According to the serial number, this was made in late `68, the year they went out of business. (That's probably why it never got a logo), This is in pretty good condition for it's age. A few nicks, a bit of light corrosion, but nothing requiring attention. There is a small (3/8") crack in the plastic plate that covers the pickup. It doesn't appear to be growing, but if you're concerned, it would be easy enough to glue a piece of plastic cut from a flatpick underneath to reinforce it. There's room. Electronics are clean and it sounds great, with kind of a Don Helms vibe to it. There's a small switch between the tone and volume controls. I have no idea what it's supposed to do. I can't tell that it does anything at all.
The legs and case could use a bit of cleaning, but are perfectly functional as is. $450 plus shipping.

-Chase Brady
Last edited by Chase Brady on 5 May 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

There was a question about the scale length. It's 23". The spacing, lowest to highest is 2 5/8" at the bridge, 2" at the nut.
--Chase
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Hi there, simple question, do all pole pieces rotate please, they sometimes weld themselves inside pickup housing, making string balance impossible, regards Mr D
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

The pole pieces rotate nicely.
--Chase
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Does this model have the "string-through" style of pickup or one of those big nickel-plated pickups? Would you mind sending me a PM of your location in WV? (I'm in Hagerstown, MD)
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

This one does not have the string through pickup. '68 was a bit late for that. It does have a very nice sound to my ear, though.
--Chase
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

Still available.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I have one of these with a Supro badge. I sold my other lap steels after buying this one. It can do an awful lot with the right amp and gain setup.
Plus I like how versatile the tone is. Plus I paid much more than this for it.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

Paul, would you be willing to share "the right amp and gain setting?" I've got one of these too, and love it. But, I'm a newbie to amps and settings. I could use the advice.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Hi Liz,
Send me a PM. (thread drift).
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

Thanks for reining me in, Paul. Now will someone please snap this guitar up? It's a good deal.
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

The lap steel has been sold. Thanks for the recommendations!

--Chase
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Liz - no offense I hope. Somebody recently chided me for drift so i was trying to be a good boy ... I sent you an email.

Chase - congrats on sale. You sold a good item at a good price.