Caleb Klauder with Russ Blake

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Harmonson

Caleb Klauder with Russ Blake

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Got to do two double bill shows this last week with Caleb in Seattle and Portland. Russ Blake is a joy to listen to on steel or guitar. Big fun hanging with these folks.
http://youtu.be/bVQ-AapdD0Q
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Dave,

I Hadn't Heard Of Caleb Klauder Previously, But Throughly Enjoyed This Video. 8) Does This Band Have Any CDs Available?

I Lived In Everett Until Last August & Sold Russ A FENDER 2000 About 3 Years Ago. I Notice He Is Playing A Fender 1000 Now.

Roger
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Roger, Caleb has a few CDs with his country band and his bluegrass band Foghorn Stringband. His web site is www.calebklauder.com
He writes songs that have a real early 50's country feel to them and does some covers of old country as well.
Russ has several steels including a replica of a D8 Bigsby that he built that he calls a Blakeby.
This past week the shows we did with Caleb he had a home built D8 with pedals on only one neck.
The Fender in this video he rebuilt with more modern cross shafts, bell cranks and knee levers so it has 8 pedals and 4 knees. He sounds great on anything he plays as well as a ripping hot 6 stringer.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Russ is a great player. I got to see him with Caleb when they came east a few years ago. Russ is a quiet giant.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

True that Mike. I've hired him for a few gigs and he just plays the right thing every time. Super nice guy as well.
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

Dave you're right on the money. Russ is a cool player for sure. Both you and he sounded great at the Tractor show last week!
Russ Blake

Post by Russ Blake »

Wow, you guys are way too kind! As a lot of us do, I really get down on myself about my playing, especially when I hear some of the fantastic stuff that gets posted here on the forum. So it means a lot to me to get such nice compliments from great players such as yourselves. Thanks!
David Clancy

Post by David Clancy »

I had the albums "Dangerous me and Poisonous Me" and "Western Country" albums and they were fantastic. Russ that is fantasic playing, so tasteful. I think it was Paul Brainard who played on those earlier records. I'm just about to start back doing some 6th playing myself, and cant wait to dig in. Any chance of doing another record like this?
Russ Blake

Post by Russ Blake »

David,

Yes, Paul played steel and lead guitar on those records. Great player! We are working on a new record now, and I doubt it will have anything like "It's All Your Fault". As you know that's not really representative of Caleb's style, but just a tune that he likes to throw in once in a while.

For anyone else who is interested, this is more typical of Caleb's sound and style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBBPs2nN_8
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Russ, heard some tracks you played with Liam Fitzgerald the other day. More fine stuff, Sounded great