Lever Wear, Does it Happen?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Adrian Wang

Lever Wear, Does it Happen?

Post by Adrian Wang »

I noticed the (E)lower lever need a lot more movement until it hits the stop.
I went underside, saw the problem and attached a shot.
Picture show lever folded up away
Notice the wear on the corner due to the round brown thingy.

I see the F with some wear but to a lesser extent.

Its a 2 year old guitar, S 10

Lever replacement will be a temporary solution as it will wear out again, Any solutions?
Has this happen to anyone? or only me

Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

For only being 2 years old, I'd be contacting the manufacturer about fixing it, or at least sending replacement parts. Looks like a design flaw that they might have a fix for by now. That kind of wear shouldn't be happening on a modern steel.
Best regards,
Mike
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It looks to be a problem of poor design/materials. The set screw (the "round brown thingy") for adjusting the angle of the lever is engaging only a fraction of that part of the lever. The solution would be to have a lever made that was slightly wider, or drilled slightly differently. A replacement from the builder may, or may not, solve the problem, depending on whether dimensions or design of a replacement part are any different. It's a case where the builder thought that something was good enough when it obviously wasn't. :?
Adrian Wang

Post by Adrian Wang »

I agree that a replacement is not a permanent fix.
It will definitely happen again
The brown thing set screw (angle adjustment ) is too far out and "eats" into the corner of the lever.
I may have to get that part where the lever get bolted to it. Whats that called.
Actually am in a fix as my location is in Singapore, shipping it to USA for repair is not economical.
Thanks for replies (forumers are helpful)and look forward to ideas / suggestions.

Have sent an email out to the manufacturer & waiting for their reply.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Since you have chosen to not mention the name, I'll defer to that. I checked my (same) guitar and indeed, there is some wear (not nearly as much as yours). In my case, by far the most chewed up are a couple of levers (I have 8) where the adjustment set screw is screwed farther up into the bracket to create a 'back-angle' on the lever. This causes the lever to pivot beyond the tangent point and to engage similarly to yours. If the screw were extended out more for a more square lever angle, the parts would meet more squarely and, as with the remainder of my levers, there would be much less wear.
This is just an observation, not a solution. The purpose of adjustable parts is to make adjustments.
Adrian Wang

Post by Adrian Wang »

Jon, you are so sharp.
You mentioned "same" guitar.
Adrian Wang

Post by Adrian Wang »

I will be asking the welder to weld that part
Anybody know what material is the lever made of.
Its a Fessenden.
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

I ran into the same problem a few times when I was using Fessy's. Here's what I did on the Fessy's and other brands as well. I removed the knee lever part and took a small file using a light oil and filed the inside area of the part until it was smooth. Also replaced the adjustment screw even though it wasn't necessary. Next I filed the area on the KL bracket until it was also smooth. I use Singer sewing machine oil or Rem oil w/Teflon. When I reattached the KL, I also replaced the allen screw with a longer one and used two screws to secure it in place. Metal on metal contact needs oil 24/7. I keep all of the parts on my guitars that make contact with other parts oiled. Even on several new guitars I've had over the years, I found some of them were needing oil to break in the parts that were usually aluminum. Be sure and oil the parts that connect to each floor pedal also. At the end of the pedal rod move the part and oil it until it's smooth. These will stick if they get dry and unlubed causing the pull rods not to return fully sometimes. Oiling the roller nuts and keeping them free also prevents problems. Jerry Fessenden builds a great guitar. I make a point to service my guitars everytime I change strings. Oil the changer also. Good luck.
Adrian Wang

Post by Adrian Wang »

Hi Billy,

Thank you for the instructions.
Here's what I did.
sent it to the welder to do spot laser welding on the worn area on the lever,
screw in the set screw for lever angle adjustment.
I am engaging levers gently.