Opinions on a speaker application...

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Geoffrey Latham

Opinions on a speaker application...

Post by Geoffrey Latham »

I have a used Yamaha G50-112 II amplifier. For those who don't know this amplifier, it is a solid state, 50 watt, single 12 combo with a very nice parametric eq section. It is recommended by some jazz guitarists for it clean channel sound.

It probably needs a fresh speaker. I know there are tons of threads on the subject of speakers, but every thread I follow seems to be nearly 10 years old and referring to something that might not even be available on the market today.

I'm hoping to receive some opinions for a good 12" speaker replacement. The stock speaker is supposed to be 60 watts/8 ohms. The amp will take either 4 or 8 ohm speaker.

Would something like the Eminence EPS 12C work or would my amp be too low of wattage?

Is the Blue Marvel (Nash 112) speaker even available on the street? I would think that whatever speaker is in the Nash 112 would work spec-wise since that is an 80 watt application.

The amp will be for home rehearsal or very small gigging only. I am working on another amplifier for larger gigging applications.

I'm interested in your opinion. Thanks
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

To the best of my knowledge, from a strictly technical standpoint, there is no issue with an over-spec'd speaker. A speaker rated for 200 watts in a low powered amp will not be a problem.
I'm not saying there is no sonic difference between a high and a low power-rated speaker in this application. Just that it is not an issue that will damage the speaker or the amp.
Geoffrey Latham

I agree with you Jon. It may be incorrect logic, but I always thought it would only be a problem if you were clipping your amplifier...which I guess could occur more frequently with a mismatched (inefficient) speaker. I probably wouldn't see any clipping in my living room, but it could be a problem for someone else in the future. Maybe the commonsense approach would be to find out what people have been putting into their Nashville 112 amps since that amp is pretty close in wattage output to the yamaha g50.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

I would suggest the Blue Marvel as used in the NV112...not the other versions. I've tried one in a couple other Peavey amps (Special 130, Express 112) and the results were very good. I think you'd like it.
Best regards,
Mike
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

My EPS-12C sounds great with my 160 watt Special 112, or with my 40 watt Frenzel tube amp. I even dialed the tube amp down to 15 watts with smaller power tubes, and it still sounds great, and plenty loud for a small gig with no drummer. Under-driving a speaker is not a problem, as far as I know.
Geoffrey Latham

Thank you guys for the responses. Does anyone know the actual part number for the blue marvel? When I look for part numbers mentioned in some old threads I can't find anything on the peavey site....lots of blue marvel options though.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Call Peavey Service. They can give you the part number and probably the price for a new/replacement Blue Marvel.

1-877-732-8391
Best regards,
Mike
Geoffrey Latham

Thanks for your help Mike. I am going to give them a call