How am I doing so far?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Hackett

How am I doing so far?

Post by Tom Hackett »

Earlier this week I bought a 2003 Carter S10-DB from a guy on this forum. I haven't played PSG for 20 years. I went to the very first Jeff Newman Jeffran class back in 1977. I never got beyond low-end mediocre. My fault completely. I wish badly that I had never stopped playing the PSG. I will only play at home with friends and to CD's for my personal enjoyment. I haven't yet bought an amp but I'm leaning heavily towards the Peavey Nashville 112. My PSG won't be delivered until mid week next week. This forum is great. I also belong to a Martin guitar forum. I stumbled upon this forum and was impressed by the information and posting frequency of its members. Great to see. I started with a Sho-Bud Maverick (sold it) and then ordered a Lloyd Green in the Sho-Bud store in Nashville back in early 1978. In their store I picked out the trim pieces they were going to use. I watched guys building them in the back. Staining, mechanics installed, lacquer. I didn't know I was watching PSG history right before my eyes. I was young and stupid I guess. I had the birdseye maple stained a reddish brown instead of the LG green color. It was awesome! I badly wish I had never sold it in late 1978 but I am looking forward to my new/used Carter. From what I've read and researched here on this forum and around, it seemed like a great PSG to start me back up on the PSG. I can't wait. Anyway, that's me, and thanks for reading. If any of you have any good advice for me I'd love to hear it. Thanks for your time.
Tom
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Hackett on 14 November 2003 at 07:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

Welcome back! I'm kinda partial to the Martin Guitar Forum myself Image www.umgf.com

I do my best at that forum to spark interest in the pedal steel. I like seeing someone come back to the dark side Image
Tom Hackett

Post by Tom Hackett »

Yeah. I like that Martin forum but they do have far fewer variables to contend with compared to a PSG. 1 3/4" nut, and which neck shape seems to propel most of their conversation. They are all made of similar wood, have 6 strings and one neck.The PSG is so complex comparatively speaking. PSG has completely different issues and a whole lot more of them. I enjoy both and just can't wait to rekindle my playing of the PSG. I've always been crazy about them. I could just kick myself for quiting before. I'm 50 now and my patience and focus has increased to where I think I can give learning the PSG a much better chance for success. This time... I'm going to enjoy the ride!
Tom<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Hackett on 14 November 2003 at 08:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Tom,

Congratulations on the new/used Carter loafer, it should make you a great guitar. I took delivery of a new Carter last week and I couldn't be more pleased, it is really a nice guitar.

The Nashville 112 is a good choice in amps. I play strictly at home for my own amusement so I became interested in them when I heard they were being touted as an entry level/low volume requirement type amp. It turned out to be a pretty powerful little rig. Think of it as a Session 400 Lite. While speaking with Bobbe Seymour yesterday he mentioned that he took a pair of them to a gig recently only to find that one would have been more than adequate.

Good luck with the new guitar,

John Drury
NTSGA #3
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Tom...I can relate to your story...my first steel was also a LDG...and like you I didn't get the standard green finish....my was the candy apple red finish Sho-Bud offered...had this guitar about a year or so and knew I was hooked....after I bought a used push-pull from a local seller I thought I had no use for the LDG..so I sold...a big mistake...I should have kept it and sold the push -pull...eventually I did get rid of the push-pull for a Zum....but I wish I would have never gotten rid of my LDG!
DON ENGLE

Post by DON ENGLE »

Hi Tom welcome to the forum I also live in indy if I can be of help in anyway with your endeavor feel free to ask I played for 23 yrs done repair for 15 yrs on steels and amps and built steels with the EAGLE brand for 7 yrs and still cant quit all together I dont play out anymore but I still love it you will appreciate this forum more every day until you cant stand to wait to see what is happening it is very habit forming and we all owe bob a salute and praise for his efforts bob SALUTE

------------------