tommy white

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Bouton

tommy white

Post by Bruce Bouton »

I heard Tommy playing with the Whites on the Opry. needless to say , the playing was phenomenal. What got me was the tone. I knew it was Tommy but there was a classic richness to the sound. I called him today.
Guess what it was?
His Sarrat Sho Pro. What a sound!
Bob Knight

Show ~ Pro

Post by Bob Knight »

Bruce,
I agree 100%,That is "the sound" and what a beautiful guitar. Jeff has "got it together". I WILL own one. I will never sound like Tommy, But............. :lol: :lol:

Bob :)
Last edited by Bob Knight on 2 Sep 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

The Show-Pro has got the vintage sound. From the Duane Marrs legacy through Jeff Surratt these are classic guitars. Jeff and Gloria are also top shelf people.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Tommy sounds incredible regardless of what guitar he plays. I loved the tone he got on his black Emmons push pull best of all, and he made the MSA guitars sound great too.

Show-Pro is right at the top of the modern pedal steel tree. Mr Surratt has to be one of the nicest guys in the business.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Man, when Bruce says it's good, it's GOOD! Jeff had some of his beautiful guitars in St. Louis. Classic beauty, tone and playability.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I see Jeff has just built Tommy a second Show Pro D10 to go with his blue baby .....this new one is a more natural toned machine which looks just fabulous. Check it out on Show Pro's website

http://www.showprosteelguitars.com/whos ... nuted.html

I know what I want for Xmas this year ... just need to find someone to pay for it :lol:
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I agree with Bob Kinight I might own one but never sound like Tommy. I caught the Crook and Chase with Ricky S. and the Whites. I really enjoyed Tommy. Please catch Crook and Chase on RFD TV Thersa and her co-workers always get camera work right for the solos and breaks. Trust me people it is not easy being in the right place all the time. thanks to T and T White for all they do to bring us great entertainment. I think of them as the dynamtic duo.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Tommy white now is playing a Mullen. Wonder why he changed from Sho-Pro.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
john widgren

Post by john widgren »

Variety is the spice of life?
Love that Mr. Tommy White, no matter what he's playing..
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

I agree, tommy is as good as they come ;-)
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Edited with sincere apologies to the White family. :oops:
Last edited by Ken Byng on 27 Mar 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Teresa White

Post by Teresa White »

Wow. I've had several people tell me T is sounding better than ever! He is so inspired and happy with his Mullen. He is constantly talking about how much clarity and depth his new guitars have.
So Ken, with our daughter living in the UK, when we visit, I'm guessing you're not inviting us over for tea? :cry:
Bill L. Wilson

The Mullen, or The Sho-Pro, Or Any Other High End Steel?

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

How long does a standard contract run when you endorse, for instance, a steel guitar. And, do you get to keep the instrument when said contract is up? I would probably switch from my Emmons for a while, for a free guitar, but there are two chances of that happening. SLIM AND NONE, and really not even SLIM, as my pickin' would never warrant such good fortune........Or do some builders, sell the steel for the cost of the build? I saw Wayne Dahl's Rittenberry at the Dallas Show, and I don't think Gary gives guitars away, but I could be wrong. By the way, it was a fine looking, top of the line guitar......As are the Mullen, Sho-Pro's, MSA's, Justice, and all the other fine brands.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Teresa, if you are in UK, I am sure Ken ( and myself at other end of the country) would love to have you over for tea.Have known Ken for many years, and can say that since he owns many guitars,Mullen and ShowPro included , he is open minded on tone, and as he said he was not criticising ,merely reporting what he heard, and as pointed out it could be for all sort of reasons, sound crew etc.I know that both Ken and myself are big fans of Tommy, but the most important thing is that Tommy is happy with tone . If Tommy played a four by two plank with strings on it he would sound fantastic such is the talent of the man :)
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

I know last year when Tommy played here with Vince he sounded great with the ShoPro. Problem was, the sound guys didn't have him nearly loud enough through the system! It was very tough to hear him over the guitars and drums which were as expected, way too loud. Tommy sure is a monster player as we all agree. :mrgreen:
Last edited by David Higginbotham on 27 Mar 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

:oops:
Last edited by Ken Byng on 27 Mar 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Now that I have a free minute, I observed this thread as being 6 years old. Alot can and has changed in 6 years. First, thank you, I really do appreciate all of the extremely kind compliments. Second, my sweet wife and a few folks around here are a bit sensitive when it comes to others discussing me, something that comes with the territory. Third, I no longer accept guitar company endorsements. Several months ago I decided to purchase what I think are the very best pedal steel guitars available for my work and play. I am convinced I've chosen wisely.
In regards to the Grand Ole Opry sound crew, they are the very best at dialing up sounds at the wink of an eye with absolutely no rehearsal. That's what they do. In today's wall of guitars, keyboards, dominating drums and bass type music, I would think the pedal steel needs brightness and clarity to be heard in such a large venue.
Thanks again!
Last edited by Tommy White on 28 Mar 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Tommy, you are my favorite PSG player of all time. Your talent is impressive. The tone you achieve is what I try very hard to replicate. The reason I go to to the Opry is to hear you play. I have a new Gfi ultra and i jusT ordered a new seat from Billy Knowles. Thanks for your inspiration. Gary Cooper
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

When I bought Tommy's black Push/Pull of the video from Cohen, I thought, "Now, I'm going to sound like Tommy." I even have a Webb amp I bought from Jimmy before he passed away. You know who I sound like? ME. Yep, me. Tommy had erased all of the notes and licks from the hard drive. Oh well, there's only one TW and I ain't he.
Last edited by Gary Walker on 30 Mar 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Gary, i agree. Tommy has total command of the instrument. I wish he would write an instructional methodbook for E9
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

When I bought Tommy's black Push/Pull of the video from Cohen, I thought, "Now, I'm going to sound like Tommy." I even have a Webb amp I bought from Jimmy before he passed away. You know who I sound like? ME. Yep, me. Tommy had erased all of the notes and licks from the hard drive. Oh well, there's only one TW and I ain't he.
You know, I have TW's old MSA Super Slide and he washed it off it before I got it too. I even took off the bottom and looked in the hole, and looked in the pouch in the case - no tone there! If I didn't know better, I'd almost be inclined to say something stupid like "you just can't buy talent." But there's a jillion ads in Guitar Player magazine that proves that's wrong.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

You know...I may come off like a real jackass here,but,I believe Tommy would agree. I know that you guys aren't talentless or toneless. I don't know why everyone chases someone else's sound ? No one should try to play or sound like Tommy,Lloyd, or Buddy ! I was listening to some tracks I cut a few years ago,and although I hated most of what I played....I liked the TONE that I got ! Liberate your tone my friends !
D.S. Rigsby
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

I haven't heard but a very small handful of players that can work that kind of midrange. There are so many surprises in Tommy's work, but they don't take you out of the experience of the tune. He's always right there, like water finding the nooks and crannies of the melody and sttructure. Aside from those beautiful hands, the spirit that's continuously developing behind the work is immense.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Tommy White is like Buddy Emmons. Both would sound great playing a two by four with haybale wire on it. It is in the hands.
george
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I don't know how many of you have read (or heard of!) a book called "Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument" by Allen St. John but it's a lovely book, for anyone who plays, builds or even just wonders about the mystery of greatness.

http://www.amazon.com/Claptons-Guitar-W ... 0743266366

And in some long discussions about just about everything under the sun, they get to a point of saying that to build a really, really fine instrument - you have to be a good person. It sounds kinda weird, but I think it surely holds true for musicians at the highest level. And yes they can have a bad year, get surprised (and stuck!) playing with not-so-nice bandmates; but there's a basic humanity that either shines out, or... it doesn't.