Oreck Vacuum commercial?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Oreck Vacuum commercial?

Post by Stu Schulman »

I just heard some great pedal steel guitar on a commercial for Oreck Vacuum cleaners...one of you kids??
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Surprised to hear that Stu. Last I heard, Oreck went bankrupt. They always boasted about their 8 lb Oreck Vacuum Cleaner being the favorite of the hotel industry. Never seen one in a hotel. Seen plenty of Panasonic uprights going up and down the hallways, but I've never seen an Oreck anywhere but a TV ad.

Thanks for the heads-up Stu. I'll be listening.

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Yes I heard the same commercial twice today, my Oreck is over 20 years old and still sucks (dirt up).
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

A couple of nights ago, I happened to faintly hear the Oreck commercial on TV while sitting on my back porch, heard the steel guitar in the background.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Oreck was purchased by TTI/Royal, that also owns Dirt Devil and Hoover vacuum cleaners.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

All due respect, I think this picture says a lot. An old guy selling an out-of-date looking vacuum cleaner isn't gonna move a lot of units these days. Steel on the soundtrack is apropos, but only adds to the overall image..
Steve Geis

Fruit of the Loom commercial !!!

Post by Steve Geis »

Haven't seen/heard the Orec commercial, but about a year ago my wife & I saw a Fruit of the Loom commercial with the guys dressed up like fruit and they were singing/writing music and one of them says, "what happened to my steel guitar track?" Thought I must have heard it wrong, but then saw it again a few weeks later and yep, that's what he said. Never saw/heard it again after that.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Barry Blackwood wrote:All due respect, I think this picture says a lot. An old guy selling an out-of-date looking vacuum cleaner isn't gonna move a lot of units these days. Steel on the soundtrack is apropos, but only adds to the overall image..

arguing vacuums are we? who buys vacuums, certainly not the millennials...

The commercial is pretty good, the vacuums are excellent. My wife just bought a second one after almost 20 years. The first one didn't die, it wore out. It still functions though...20 years later...

old style, old looking ? that's funny, :lol: Telecasters are the exact same style since 1952, Pedal Steel guitars look exactly the same as the first one way way back ..

Performance not style...Just like Telecasters, vacuums have one purpose, performance. Lots of guitars have come and go..the Telecaster remains . Lots of brand new pedal steels, , can a non player tell you which is the new one or which is the old one ?

The add is great, the music is really kool !

There are three Oreck stores in Charlotte NC and two Guitar Centers ! The store my wife bought the first one from is still in business in the exact same location, right there that says something. Guitar Center has NOT been in town for over 20 years, but I hope they are !

I suspect the music is a canned piece from a "CLIP" outlet which is real common for advertising these days.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Fuentes

Post by Bill Fuentes »

Thought I'd log in before church and see whats up, and became intrigued about the referenced Fruit of the Loom commercial. Saw the silly song and then found the steel guitar reference. I never saw it back in 2005-6

http://adland.tv/commercials/fruit-loom ... 05-030-usa
Bill Fuentes

Post by Bill Fuentes »

Deleted double post
Last edited by Bill Fuentes on 16 Mar 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Blackwood

arguing vacuums are we? who buys vacuums, certainly not the millennials...
Ok, Tony, you say tomato and I say tomahto … :)
You might wanna peruse this little article..
http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post ... 0d61f69ff3
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Whats the point Barry ? We are talking about a commercial with music, not really vacuums .

Sure anyone can go to Walmart and get a vacuum for $79 ! Who would argue that ? But you can't get that $79 vacuum to last 20 years either.

Oreck has a commercial with Steel guitar in it, that's a good thing !.

And regardless of the article, the same store in Charlotte is in the same place for over 20 years...and right next to Walmart !

Barry Blackwood

Whats the point Barry ? We are talking about a commercial with music, not really vacuums .
Tony, you love your Oreck, that's great. My original point was, using steel on the Oreck commercial did nothing to improve or enhance the dated image of the product..
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

My wife loves it. I am merely saying it's a very good product and I like the music in the commercial which has Steel Guitar in it ! 8)

tom anderson

Post by tom anderson »

I've hardly ever heard a commercial with pedal steel. I like it and wonder who it is. Good tone too
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

I would love to know who played steel on the original Bill Goodman's Gun And Knife Show Commercial's. Thanks Chubby Howard
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Does anyone make an economy lightweight flight vacuum with knee levers?
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

If a vacuum cleaner doesn't work, does it really suck?
I heard the steel too, great tone.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Good steel guitar will add class to anything! Even vacuum cleaners.

Pedal steel is just a beautiful piece of mechanical art, until it's played, and it's the artist who makes it sound interesting or not.

No other instrument stirs my emotions like steel guitar. That sound is timeless and classic. If someone thinks it is out dated, it's their problem, not the pedal steel guitar.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bill Bassett

Post by Bill Bassett »

I've heard the ad several times and tried to get a good listening. It sounds heavily processed to me. Odd, compressed. I liked it but it made me wonder if it was programmed or sampled. Or worse, auto tuned. No offense to whoever did play it. I'd like to get that sound too.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Here is the commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-byCoQuRkZI

The difference between a vacuum cleaner and a harmonica player?
The harmonica player sucks and blows!!
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

The steel playing was very fitting but I was really digging the vacuum. The apparent quality and attributes caught my attention, seeing as I do most of the domestic chores now. I will be checking this out at the mall.
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

"They always boasted about their 8 lb Oreck Vacuum Cleaner being the favorite of the hotel industry. Never seen one in a hotel.

I have seen a lot of them in hotels. Had one and they weren't the best vacuum but they were really light, I can see why a hotel would use one.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

.I just bought a Shark Rocket from Target, (paid cash ha). IMO, it's light and works good for our needs. I liked the price too. And no, it ain't got no knee levers like my psgs.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Thanks for posting the commercial Alvin !
It would be my guess that that dirt being sucked up is country dirt.
Know what I mean?
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.