Choose a six string....

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tom Margulies

Choose a six string....

Post by Tom Margulies »

Let's say I gave you a blank check to buy a six string electric lap steel.... what would you get?
James Nottage

Post by James Nottage »

Something stunning by Tom Pettingill, no doubt.
Clinesmith S-8; Pettingill P6; Rick-Style Vintage 47 Amp
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

James Nottage wrote:Something stunning by Tom Pettingill, no doubt.
Something that I've personally done 3 times and happy as all get-out each and every time.

Truth is we have an abundance of talented luthiers who post regularly here at SGF.....Pettingill....Clinesmith....Ram Guitars....Georgeboards...et al.

A blank check will get you something wonderful to be certain
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
James Nottage wrote:Something stunning by Tom Pettingill, no doubt.
Something that I've personally done 3 times and happy as all get-out each and every time.

Truth is we have an abundance of talented luthiers who post regularly here at SGF.....Pettingill....Clinesmith....Ram Guitars....Georgeboards...et al.

A blank check will get you something wonderful to be certain
I agree, it's a great time to have the want-mes :) Don't forget about the new Asher model. There's a lotta tasty choices available right now
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

hmm... 6-strings. I've always been a vintage guitar nut so I would go for a Rickenbacher fry pan. Other possibilities would be a Fender Deluxe 6 (early version), Gibson EH-185, Gibson Ultratone. I would insist on excellent condition, strong pickup, etc. Send me that blank check... 8)
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

I'd go for the EH-185. Do you need my mailing address for that check?
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

If I didn't already have a Bakelite, that would be the one I'd pursue first. Easy to play, relatively common, and great sound.

I agree with Doug that at the top of my wish list would be an original Frypan, both for its history and the sound.

Finally, those Gibson Ultratones, especially the first version, have a visual appeal few other instruments can match. I've never played one, and understand they don't really sound all that great. But man, what a looker.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ah yes, a Bakelite... that was on my original list but I deleted it in a 'senior moment' thinking that it was an 8-string lap steel. :| 8)
Tom Margulies

This gives new meaning to the term....

Post by Tom Margulies »

Airguitar
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

NONE! I would give you your blank check right back.

6 strings would severely limit the stuff I play. I need at least 8 strings.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Jack Hanson wrote:
Finally, those Gibson Ultratones, especially the first version, have a visual appeal few other instruments can match. I've never played one, and understand they don't really sound all that great. But man, what a looker.
I have a '52 sounds just fine. Don't know why Ultratones get that rap. A slab of mahogany with a good P-90, what's not to like?
Jack Hanson

Ultratone

Post by Jack Hanson »

James Hartman wrote: I have a '52 sounds just fine. Don't know why Ultratones get that rap. A slab of mahogany with a good P-90, what's not to like?
I don't get it, either. Possibly the best sounding electric guitar I've ever got my hands on is a friends old single P-90 Les Paul Junior TV model. Fairly beat up, weather checked to the max, but it's totally original, and that thing just sings.

But on the other hand, I have an early '50s Fender Champion with what I understand to be the same basic pickup as the first Broadcasters & Teles, and that one won't hold a candle to my Supro Supreme or even my MOTS Magnatone of the same approximate vintage. And, when compared to a Bakelite, it's a joke.
C. E. Jackson

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Tom, there are many excellent modern 6 string steels. However, I would choose a vintage instrument if I only had one choice.

My 1st choice would be either the Gibson EH-185 with CC PUP (U-magnet), or the Gibson EH-185 with ES-300 PUP. In my opinion these steels, a combination of metal, wood, and a partial sound cavity, have an excellent sound. Upright tuners, scale length, and string spacing, make these steels an enjoyable playing experience.

My 2nd choice would be the Gibson EHG (metalbody). Really a great sounding steel, and the only metalbody ever produced by Gibson.

My 3rd choice would be an early model Rickenbacher Bakelite Steel.

I believe you would be better satisfied with a 7 string steel in one of the Gibson EH-185 models or in the Rickenbacher Bakelite model. 7 strings will allow a greater variety of tunings.

C. E.
Val Drummond

Post by Val Drummond »

Kelvin Monaghan

Post by Kelvin Monaghan »

Pre war Bakelite,but for live use my Gibson 185 with the es pickup ,great tone and sustain and rock solid tuning ,due to the metal top plate.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

I would buy at least an 8/10/12 string and tell you you don't have to use the other strings yet. You'll thank me later when you need them. :lol: