midi cable for peavey profex 2 question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Shannon Bryant

midi cable for peavey profex 2 question

Post by Shannon Bryant »

I have a profex 2 and wanting to buy a gecko midi switcher so I can change my effects while playing. The problem is the profess has a 8pin midi outlet and the switcher has a 5 pin... I've been looking and looking for a midi cable with 8pin male on one end and 5pin male on the other. Or maybe an adapter for the ends? Does anyone know or have any ideas about this?
Jim O. Underwood

Midi Cable

Post by Jim O. Underwood »

Peavey makes a foot controller for the cable that is used with the ProFex. I have one for my ProFex and TubeFex. It you can't find an adapter, that may be an answer to your problem.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Shannon, if it's 8 pin, I don't think it's midi. Kinda like if it's not 6 pin, it's not Ethernet. 8 pin DIN must be something else, like the Peavey controller.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

The Peavey DIN cable system is definitely midi. And if memory serves me right, the extra 2 wires were for powering their various controller accessories. For instance my Session 2000 uses the RC2000 midi controller, but that controller will work with the Profex I and II, the TubeFex, and TranstubeFex. The RC2000 has a power supply jack (16vac), but you don't need to use it if you're using one of the above effects boxes and the 8 pin DIN cable.
Best regards,
Mike
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Try the 5 pin to 5 pin standard midi cable. It will plug into the 8 pin female on the Profex. The extra pins in the 8 pin cable are for power and LCD display on the Profex pedal board. The rest of the pins are standard midi data
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

Ken Fox wrote:Try the 5 pin to 5 pin standard midi cable. It will plug into the 8 pin female on the Profex. The extra pins in the 8 pin cable are for power and LCD display on the Profex pedal board. The rest of the pins are standard midi data
Thanks Ken. As usual, Mr. Fox is on target. I have used a standard 5 pin MIDI controller/cable on the Peavey xxx Fex units through the 8 pin jacks and they work fine.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com