A Challenge!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rob Munn

A Challenge!

Post by Rob Munn »

Hey every person,

Every cool soul that ever traversed the blues, How 'bout (aboot) I try and put my 2 bits on SoundCloud or whatever (I have no idea how to post a music thing). What I am proposing is a guitar instrumental, one played by the one and only Peter Green, say, about '67 or so, early Mac, a song called "Jig Saw Puzzle Blues". That's only cause it's one of the few, harder songs I've tried and you know, I can take objective criticism. Really not that hard, but mine sounds fairly confusing at this point. I will get back and fair warnin', I'm coming with both guns blazing....

(Oh boy, am I in for it...Mr. Neer, come to my rescue, just give me a 20 point spot)
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

Thanks Brad for clarifying,

Yeah, the one with Danny Kirwin and didn't Jeremy Spencer play the rythym slide? He was darn good himself. Still plays although the album I have is acoustically oriented. It was off of an album called "English Rose" originally.
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

...and I have to admit, I've only got about 2/3 of the way through the song, and the small (read:large) stuff still hasn't been perfected. This is a jazzy blues that after you get off the intro (and the very end is the same), you get into some a modulation that's pretty cool; some jazzier notes and nice progressions that I have just begun. My blocking ain't great but anyhow, I'll give it my best shot. This is a blues deal but some country players might like the Django influence, if ya think there is one. I'll be back.
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vkh63QIw-c

Just in case anyone's interested, this is a cool 1 hour + viddy on Peter Green.
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

How about "Albatross"? It has a lot of steel slide guitar and goes another direction than blues. Or anything that has Mr. Green's mark on it. When I get my thing down a bit better, I will post it. I really need the feedback, tips and pointers, or rotten tomatoes if I warrant them! Okay, back to the garage.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

Jigsaw Puzzle Blues wasn't Peter on guitar - it was the other real young guy - can't remember his name - Danny K(?)...i haven't listened to that stuff in 30 years
..oops - just saw Brad already clarified that in post #2
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

You are right Jerome!

I'm surprised. After watching that BBC doc. that I posted about the early Mac, I discovered that it was Danny Kirwan. Another very good guitarist of whom I haven't heard about in years. Alive?
Well, so much for my ode to Peter Green. Albatross, as spacey as it is, and probably too easy for most of you (slow, no fire) is still a beautiful song. I believe Peter Green is quoted in this doc as having laid his guitar on his lap, played like a lap steel for this song.
The original line-up (or the one after Spencer joined) was only together for 2 1/2 years but in those years, outsold the Beatles and Stones together, apparently, according to the BBC. Then they crashed, apparently in Munich, Germany.
Remember this album cover?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Lots of good information about Danny Kirwan on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan

Back to the topic, though - I'd like to hear your version of "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues" on lap steel.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

Thanks Brad,

I'll have it ready in a couple of weeks!
Jan Oelbrandt

Post by Jan Oelbrandt »

I like a good challenge.
Especially when great songs are involved.
He're my version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdADW50pxM4.
Tuning is what I call Am9, I use it all the time. low-to-high A-C-E-G-A-B
It's the same group as on a C6 pedal with high C lever lowered, strings 8->3
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

that was great Jan - wonderful adaption!
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

fleetwood mac sure sounded better when they had some girls in the band......
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Oof, couldn't disagree more. Love the original 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' blues band with Jeremy Spencer on slide and Green and Kirwan on guitar. Certainly the best of the early British blues groups.
Nothing against later members, it was great pop, but not what I prefer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13c1CeelzH4
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I saw the original Fleetwood Mac in... I think 1970 or '71, a free outdoor concert at UMASS. They sounded awesome, a great blues band at that time. Later they added the girls and went pop and became huge. There was an unknown, up and coming solo "folk artist" named Bruce Springsteen who opened the show. The university had some great free concerts back in the day: Grateful Dead, Seatrain, Curtis Mayfield, James Taylor (unknown at the time), Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, and many more.
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

Good grief Jan!

Really well done! That will be hard to match! Thanks for the backing track info cause I didn't want to do it free form, although I might get our bassist and drummer to back me up. I now will get my ready asap.
Good going Jan! Am9th eh? Cool. I do mine in D and I haven't figured out the 3rd modulation up.
Nice footage of F.M. in France Mike. Is that Kirwan on the far right? Some nice looking femmes doing the hippie shake too.
Last edited by Rob Munn on 22 Feb 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

I really like that Jan...beautiful tone too.
Jan Oelbrandt

Post by Jan Oelbrandt »

Jerome, Rob, Steve,
thanks for the comments.

Rob, If you need help on that 3rd modulation, just say so (and is that D-A-D-F#-A-D as your openD tuning?)
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Great job Jan. Like :D
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

Thanks Jan,

I've got a friend bringing a Tascam over next week and I'll record my version played on a Rick B6, yeah, in DADF#AD. I'll play the two riffs, and then maybe you an help me with the 3rd mod. Thanks for the offer Jan,

Get back to you..
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

Hey Jan,

I haven't given up yet. I just have a real busy life right now and I'm still hung up on the 3rd modulation; gets pretty jazzy in there. So, I'll just put up what I have (skipping the 3rd mod for now) and then maybe you can help me. I have to get my wife (our vocalist) to help me cause she knows how to use computers very well (being a teacher helps) and I just want you to know that I am not going to lose my credibility by ignoring my own challenge! I will give it my best. I will not be up to your level, but I will do my best. What was the old cub scout oath, I'll dyb dyb dyb, dob dob dob. (Can you believe we actually chanted this?)
(Akela, we'll do your best, do our best)
I had to float this one up to the top so it didn't sink too far. I promise to get it up there soon.