Don Helms "Your Cheatin Heart" now available in E-Book.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Williams

Don Helms "Your Cheatin Heart" now available in E-Book.

Post by Jim Williams »

I've been wanting to buy this book for a while, but I really wanted it in digital format instead of print / cd. I was about to break down and order the regular book but decided to check the Mel Bay site one more time as they have been converting their library to E-Books. It was available and I downloaded it and I can tell you from previewing it on my computer while listening to the audio tracks, it is great.

The tab not only includes the intro / solo, it also includes the fill and comp as well. What a great way to learn licks and fill from a master as well as steel instrumental. The tab is written as one piece of music, not individual tabs for intro, solo, etc. which is much better for playing along with the included background tracks.

This book would be worth the price just for the audio recordings of Don's playing.

I personally prefer E-books because I can print them and put them in a binder and they are easier to play from than trying to keep a bound book open.

It also allows me to archive the files so I don't lose them, and even if you do you can always re download them from the Mel Bay site. Of course there are exceptions to this, for instance The pedal steel course by Scotty would be quite lengthy to print out, so I have the printed version of that one, however it is spiral bound. Any music book one is expected to actually play from should always be spiral bound IMO.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

The book is pretty good but I remember I was really disappointed with "I'm So Lonesome I could Cry" - one of my absolute favourites - as he either doesn't include the solo or plays it differently from the record (can't remember which as it's a long time since I looked at it).

The rest of the book seems pretty spot-on though.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Hmmm, haven't listened to that particular one yet. Some of my favorites are Cold Cold Heart, Mansion on the Hill, and Wedding Bells. Can't wait to get home and try some of this stuff.

PS: I went on youtube and listened to a couple of recordings of I'm so Lonesome, one from 1949 and one from 1951. The one from 1949 mentioned that Jerry Byrd played steel on that release, I'm not sure when Don started playing with them, so that could be the reason there is a difference possibly?
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

With all the great Hank stuff he DID play on to choose from, I wonder why he chose to include one he didn't play on?

I've worked it out myself since but one of the main reasons I bought that book was to find out what was happening in a couple of specific parts of that solo :(
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

i was listing to a johnny cash best of cd at my workbench yesterday. "fool to fall" came on. i thought it was jerry byrd it sounded so nice. went online and checked....don helms. fabulous sound and playing.
Ryan Hulin

Post by Ryan Hulin »

I have the ebook and love it know if most of you saw my thread on the non pedal section I'm a bare bones beginner and I've already figured out the intro to Your Cheating Heart with this great book, it's super accessible and I think relatively easy.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Jeff, he probably did play on later versions or performances of it but the early one was JB.