***C6th West Texas Steel Guitar School Feb 7 & 8 2014***

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Larry Toliver

***C6th West Texas Steel Guitar School Feb 7 & 8 2014***

Post by Larry Toliver »

Hello again Fellow Steelers!
We just had a wonderful E9th beginner to intermediate Steel School in September, and 4 of the students wanted a C6th class as well. So, here it is. The class will be February 7th & 8th 2014. I've had 3 or 4 students in the past 18 months or so that have been asking for a C6th class and holding out for it. Your request is granted and we are getting ready for it. I'll update my website in a day or two with the correct information. We've had requests for the solo & intro of All My Exes Live in Texas (done), The Preacher (done), and more to come. It looks as though Steve Palousek will once again be my guest instructor for this one. It doesn't get any better than that. If you've always wanted a boost on your C6th neck....then this class is for you. I've had as many as 14 students and as few as 7 in a class. Seven is perfect, and 12 is max that I can do justice to....so sign up as soon as you can to ensure your spot. Since this is the 1st C6th class to be out there in a while....I believe it will fill fast. Hope to see you there.
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell
www.westtexassteelguitarschool.com
larry@westtexassteelguitarschool.com

PS....I've just had a couple more students call for another E9th class...So probably...April 2014.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Just a quick note on the C6th school. I have 3 students confirmed so far already. I'm really excited about this class, as I feel the C6th neck is being neglected a little bit. Most people think the E9th is easier to comprehend, and maybe it is...but this other jewel is heard on many number 1 hit records, and it is still relevant when played tastefully and well. Check out Doug Jernigan - Jazz by Jernigan, Buddy Emmons Swingin Series, Russ Hicks has a fantastic cd - On the C Side (check out Holiday for Steel Strings), Paul Franklin - on tons of George Strait stuff, Steve Palousek - "let the games begin" (wow), Jim Loessberg - Sawed Off Shotgun (Hold it, Brown Derby, and Jonesy (both necks), Buck Reid - Sour Dough & Eastern Swing, and even me on my website Danke Schoen. I could keep naming names and songs, but ...you get the drift.....There is tons of good C6th stuff out there ....so cmon down to Texas and let's get it on!

Oh....I almost forgot....Check out David Wright on Your Cheatin Heart (you may have to get his album). He plays a single 12 string, but the C6th stuff he gets is GOOD!
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

just a bump to keep the topic near the top. Still have 3 committed to coming, and looking for 2 or 3 more. C'mon down to Texas and lets get down on the C6th neck.
Larry Toliver
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Howdy fellow steelers!
Just touchin' base with everyone out there. Still have 3 commited C6th class attendees and still looking for a few more. If you are wanting a boost in your picking, then come on down. Please check out our website at www.westtexassteelguitarschool.com and make plans to come in February to our school. I've had requests for Heart of a Clown with Buddy Emmons solo (done) All My Exes with Paul Franklins Solo (done) and the Preacher (almost done - trying to make it easier) and Night Train...so far. I've got chords charted out, transitions, working with split string grips, which gives that FAT EXCELLENT sound, single string licks to familiarize you with the fretboard, some scales, and much much more!
Plus....HANDS ON TEACHING, with not only myself...but STEVE PALOUSEK...who is one of the best there is in my humble opinion. How often do you get a chance to do that!!! Please check us out and consider coming to our first C6th class on Feb 7 & 8. It will be a great time for us all.
Larry T
325.518.3947 cell
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Well....A nice update for everyone interested in C6th classes. We have 2 more students now making 5 paid up and committed. I have talked with 3 more that may end up coming. So..The class is looking good.
Now, for the good stuff! Steve Palousek and I spent 10 hours doing audio tracks,tab, unbelievable licks, and some of the best chords and turn arounds you have ever and maybe even NEVER heard before. The students that come to this school will be treated to stuff no one else will have. You're in for a treat for sure. It's not too late to check it out.
The West Texas Steel Guitar School.....gimme a call and let us get your playing to the next level.
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Well,
Another person called today and is coming to the seminar. Last minute attendees are welcome.welcome.welcome! I appreciate everyone for their support and emails about the school. The class is the perfect size for Steve and I to work with now. I am adding a couple of last minute bonus songs. Boot Heel Drag is one, and I already tabbed out The Preacher (Steve calls it The Creature) and he added a solo to it that you'll love. It just keeps getting better and better. He is also adding a song that is a tester off of one of his cds....Blues #37. The melody (or head part) of the song is very nice with open strings, etc. and I know you'll like the solo he is designing for it. Only at the school will you get this stuff...or even hear it.
Oh, and by the way....our E9th beginner to intermediate classes have 3 students so far that is coming up in April. Check it out if you are interested. Jim Loessberg will be with me again and if it's anything like the last class he helped me with...you don't want to miss it either.
Later.....
LT
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Larry, I'm still up in the air. With the weather acting the way it is, it's gonna be tough, but I haven't given up yet.
Ryan Hulin

Post by Ryan Hulin »

Is this a strictly Pedal Steel workshop or can Lap Steel players attend as well?
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Ryan,
I don't want to turn anyone away, but it IS geared toward pedal steels. I hate to disappoint you, but there are virtually pedals involved in most all of my tabs, except for some scales. All of Steve Palouseks material is the same way. I don't know if it would work for you or not. Feel free to give me a call if you like.
Larry T
325.518.3947 cell

Danny,
I'd love to have you as well, but do what you have to to survive. There is a song I think about "A way to Survive". (haha). PS you can come for parts of the day if you can squeeze it out. We can work out whatever.
Later
LT
Ray Mangrum

C6th Class

Post by Ray Mangrum »

Well Larry I'm on my way, but the weather is not being very cooperative. I made it almost threw Oklahoma, and hope to make it to Texas tomorrow. It's rough sleding (well almost). Hope to see ya in a couple of days. Ray
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

See you in a day or two Ray. Take your time and we'll see you Friday morning ....so get ready for some steeling C6th Style!
Larry T
Mack Quinney

C6 class

Post by Mack Quinney »

Thanks Larry and Steve for a great class. Also thanks to Susie for the wonderful meal!

Got some good stuff to work on, and certainly learned some new things. Also made some new friends!

Thanks again.

Mack
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Well I enjoyed it too. Great hospitality by Larry and Susie Toliver again. Steve Palousek is a musical genius, one of the very top steel pickers, and a comedian as well. And his wife is a jewel. How she puts up with him, I don't know. Now if my brain can just untangle all the info that was dispersed. And I apologize to the Merkle middle school custodian for all the mud that fell out from under my pickup when it thawed in the parking lot Friday.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Thanks for the great comments. I certainly do appreciate everyone who participated and helped make the steel school a reality, and a success. I already had some private lessons today with another student and he also just signed up for the April e9th class. We're in high gear again getting ready. Take care and keep on steeling.
Larry Toliver
Ray Mangrum

C-6th Class

Post by Ray Mangrum »

Hats off to Larry, Susie, Steve and Donna!!!! What a good time, and Oh Yeah, the Instruction and material was AWESOME as well. Steve is unbelievable, even when you set and watch him, what a player and an all-around nice guy! Took time to explain every question that was asked! Way to go Steve. Larry also had some real nice contributions and is quite a player.Thanks to all who attended for the reception on everyone's part. Great bunch of guys! Nice meeting everyone and look forward to our paths crossing again.