1969 Emmons Push-Pull

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bud Harger

1969 Emmons Push-Pull

Post by Bud Harger »

I started looking for another 60's Emmons Push-Pull last September (see link if you're interested). Tommy Wayne (Las Vegas Forumite) responded with information on this 1969 Push-Pull fat-back, cut-tail that he owned. Tommy is a super good guy and a pleasure to talk to.

Long story, short...we finally agreed on the deal just before Christmas. This guitar started out life with 9 floor pedals and 6 knee levers, from the factory. Tommy acquired the guitar in 2005 from the original owner, a well-known Nashville player.

All original, never revised, reworked or added to, in any way...it is practically new and has very little playing time on it.

The great Rick Price (Texas) did a great job cleaning, lubing and revising the set-up for me. It is now 8 floor pedals and 4 knee levers...and considerably lighter. Rick is a super PP mechanic!

Factory-original pickups are wound 16.5 an 17.5 and the tone is incredible! I've gigged it several times now and it is awesome.

I love this Forum.

bUd

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 57dc1e2c3c
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Very beautiful bUd..

I LOVE those Emmons guitars with decal on front of them !!

Thanks for showing this guitar.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Anyone who is not drooling over that guitar should have their pulse measured immediately.
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

Jack Hanson wrote:Anyone who is not drooling over that guitar should have their pulse measured immediately.
Aye
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

yeah, really nice. my second steel in the 70's was the s10 version. decal/badge.

hope you saved the extra pedal and levers. most people would probably want to put those right back on.
Bud Harger

No worries...

Post by Bud Harger »

I saved every part...pedal, rod, knee levers assemblies, collars, pull rods, screws, etc.

If anybody ever wants to change it back to 9/6...it should be easy to do.

bUd
Jerry Kippola

Post by Jerry Kippola »

I have a '68 just like it, best soundin steel i ever owned
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Great looking horn Bud!!
Bud Harger

Post by Bud Harger »

Thanks, Mike. I agree with your post about Rick Price's abilities. I might also add that he is a great picker, too. I saw the Jake Hooker Band 1/4/14...Rick was awesome; the Band is the best around (IMO). What a show!! Rick was playing a lacquer wood-neck PP that sounds great.

Mike Kowalik wrote:
Posted 25 Jan 2014 7:56 am Rick Price....
I can also attest to Rick's expertise with push pull guitars. He has done work on my guitar several times over the years. Rick possesses a very high sense of quality and when working on someone's guitar he is not satisfied until he has it to the point where he would have no qualms with taking it out on a gig himself.

bUd
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

That's a twin to my 69 Fatback except mine has the badge instead of sticker. My E9th pickups are like 13.9 and C6th is around 15.2. It is also a tone monster. I've owned lots of steels over the past 30 years and it is without a doubt my favorite. Can't be an older Emmons in my book.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Bud Harger

The Decal...

Post by Bud Harger »

The Decal is original from factory and as you can see, is in perfect condition.

Apparently, it was during the 1969/1970 period that the Emmons folks changed to the badge.

Thanks,

bUd
Dan Carey

Emmons Pedal Steel

Post by Dan Carey »

Great Looking Emmons. can you post what the serial number is.

Dan
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

beautiful guitar Bud