The best XL80 setting with Williams E9

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniele Gilioli

The best XL80 setting with Williams E9

Post by Daniele Gilioli »

Hello there, Happy new year from Italy. I'm using Roland XL80 with my Williams E9. Is there anyone could share his XL80 setting experience to reach a good sound with Williams? thanks a lot. Daniele
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Bluegrass and country music band
RED Williams PSG, Hilton PV, StroboFlip tuner, Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro.
Doug Garrick

Post by Doug Garrick »

Daniele, these are the settings I've been using most recently. I use the Black Face lead channel about 75% of the time. These settings are for a Carter with an Alumitone pickup. I had very good response from the audience on NYE this year. However, I am always either mic'd or DI'd with the amp facing me so I never really stand on it for volume. Your mileage may vary if your not playing through a PA.

I also use two FS-5L foot switches to toggle the lead and efx modes. I generally use these same tone settings when toggled back to the default JC-Clean channel.

-doug garrick
Ollin Landers

Post by Ollin Landers »

I set my tone controls on the amp using a technique specific to Roland amps here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4t9oC57osU

It's intended for six string but the principle applies to steel just as well. You just have to use different strings.

I end up usually at about the same settings as Doug.

Another tip. Set the looper and play about 30 sec. Then play that loop back as you walk around the room. Go back to the amp to adjust as needed then listen again.

Once you get a good baseline setting save it as a preset on your Solo channel.
You can adjust the tone controls on the Solo channel when you need to make small adjustments for a particular room. When you turn the amp off it keeps that baseline setting so you don't have to dial it in every time.

And yes foot switch highly recommended.
Zum SD-12 Black, Zum SD-12 Burly Elm Several B-Bender Tele's and a lot of other gear I can't play.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Daniele Gilioli

Thanks a lot Doug and Ollin for the feedback. I'll try your suggested settings.I'm looking for a clean tone with good strings separation sound. I think also to use a MIC in front the XL 80 speaker to enter in the PA instead of connecting them via cable. I hope the sound will be better.
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
RED Williams PSG, Hilton PV, StroboFlip tuner, Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro.
Michael Beasley

Settings

Post by Michael Beasley »

Daniele, I play thru the Jc clean channel. Bass at 500 o'clock, mid at 900, treble at 1200, presence at 1200 slight reverb and slight delay. this is what I use for both guitars, MSA studio pro and Mullen pre rp
Daniele Gilioli

thank you Michael , I'll try also yr Jc clean set, let's see how it works on Williams PSG with alumitone PU. Bye
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Michael Beasley

Settings

Post by Michael Beasley »

If I were to guess on how it sounds. I would say good. It might sound a little bright at first but let somebody listen in the back of the area your playing. I find these settings cut through and stands out.