Effects for the Stage One

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stuart Legg

Effects for the Stage One

Post by Stuart Legg »

The limiter is a preference but I think the knock out is a must for the Stage One.
Out of the Stage One into the Knockout into a good amp with a little reverb and it's about as good a sound as you're going to get out of your Stage One and that is plenty good!
If you have to use an amp that doesn't do your steel justice just use the 59 bassman pedal I show below use it for the pre amp and run it direct the amps power amp or direct to the PA board if everything is running thru the board.
Here is a set up. Stage One to limiter to Knockout to delay to Amp or from delay to 59 bassman pedal to power amp of amp or to the board.
Use something like the Kustom wav 210 for small venues and something like a nashville 1000 for larger venues. I've heard these combinations and they sound great.
Bottom line you can just bring your Stage One, the Knockout and a good amp and sound really good.

Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

I second the knockout attack eq. I mostly use it to get the Stage One's humbucker to single coil sound, putting the low about 12 oclock the highs around 2 o'clock and the Dry level about 10:30. I got no jones for another steel.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

I got an Attack Equalizer today.
I set it like you suggested, Daniel.
Certainly sounds good.
Got a problem though.
It has a hum like you would not believe.
When I hold the power button down, till I feel some resistance, the hum goes away.
Any ideas?
At long last, July 14, 2011 and I have a musical instrument I CAN play.
Stage One, Nashville 112, Hilton pedal, Black Box
Daniel Policarpo

HI Hans. Do you find that it hums all the time, no matter what your amp is set like, or is it humming part of the time, aside from pressing down on the switch? Some EHX pedals are notorious for noise issues. Though I haven't had any problems with my Knockout EQ, I had a problem with my first EHX Holy Grail unit. It had a terrible hum, and turned out to be a defective unit. Also some EHX units don't play well with other pedals, like overdrives and fuzzes, but we don't have that problem.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

I have managed to get the humming to stop.
I placed it on a wooden chair that was at least a foot from the adapter.
Thanx Daniel, for your concern.
Daniel Policarpo

Well, if you went and got something because of a user group that said it works good and I was voice within that group, I do feel that I should be able to back it up with any experience I might have with the device. Glad it seems to be working out for you. Let us know about any settings that you like.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

I have changed my mind about the Knockout.

It arrived with no instructions on installing a battery.
The battery that it came with was dead.
It manage to consume my brand new 9V battery overnight.
Overall it is very temperamental about when it decides to hum.
Any wiggle of the jacks produces a huge pop from the amp.
Maybe I lucked out and got a defective one.

Did I like what it could do to shape my steel's sound?
YES
Daniel Policarpo

Yeah, sounds like you got a bad one. The batteries I've had in there have lasted months, not hours, and that you had problems directly related to the adapter supports something is going on with the power draw. Mine didn't come with instructions either, but it did come with a functional battery that lasted me a good while.

Apparently EHX has issues with quality control. Today I Googled "Electro Harmonix" and "quality control", and it seems that its a pretty wide problem for them. The tubes and pedals that I've gotten from them that work, last a really long time and seem pretty solid, but the one pedal I had a problem with, the issue was evident right away. That should have been caught before they boxed it up and sent it off. Hans, your pedal seems like it has a defect that would have been immediately evident if they had tested it proper.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

Will post when I hear back from the seller.