'' JUST ME '' And My Convictions .

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Preston

'' JUST ME '' And My Convictions .

Post by Gary Preston »

I just want to let everyone know this about me . There are several steel guitar jams / shows here in Ohio . I am sure that people have been wondering why i don't go to any of them . They are having these in V.F.W.'S. Eagles clubs etc . After all i have been the President of the O.S.G.A. Ohio since inception . Here is the reason i don't go to them . But PLEASE , PLEASE understand i am not in any way being mean or critical of anyone . I am a part of a Christian Ministry and at one time i played these venues . In my opinion i don't feel i can go to any of these places anymore . I know they don't serve alcohol on jam days etc. But i feel that i cannot go there and not feel guilty for it . Please understand this is '' my conviction '' and i am not judging anyone . I would love to go to their jams if it were in another venue . I hope you understand what i'm saying and don't hold this against me . Best regards and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years . Gary .
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i don't quite understand.
Last edited by chris ivey on 19 Dec 2013 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

You're all heart Chris :lol:
Gary I understand perfectly. Besides jamin' is a noncommittal gig and as such should be optional and left solely to your discretion.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:D Thanks Stuart . I was expecting some people to be critical of me and i was right . Understand this i enjoy jamming with my friends . We have our jams at a Church annex that we rent . We are considerate of everyone . Sorry you don't agree Chris . Be happy where you are playing and i hope you enjoy yourself .
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm not disagreeing or being critical.
i'm still a little confused. gary, you put this out there in dark robust printing like we're being yelled at or preached to. i really just want to know what the problem is. you're certainly welcome to go to the jam or not as you see fit. is drinking a beer or cocktail somehow anti-christian? if so, i did not know that. i grew up in an episcopalian household and had never heard that.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:D :D Chris i like the bold print and thats why i do it . There seems to be more you are wanting to say to me ! I made myself clear in my original post but maybe you didn't understand it . Sorry about that if thats the deal . I don't know how you could think i was being critical of you after what i said . I said what i meant and i hope this is ok with you . Problem What problem ? Why are you making this up ? I can do some preaching but it wouldn't make you happy , so lets just drop this ok ?
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I'm a pastor in the Christian Church (DOC).

Gary, why did you make this public statement to begin with? The folks in your various associations surely have email contacts within the association?

You made this statement of your personal religious beliefs in front of 13,000 people. Many are Christians. Some of them understand your personal beliefs, and some don't.

I understand "not taking on the appearance of evil," but still can't see the reason to invite 13,000 opinions into your life. I think you should do what you believe is right, and be convinced that you are doing your best. But, the words you used in the original post could not be interpreted in any other way but how they have been.

Don't misunderstand my post, I'm not disagreeing with you. The apostle paul exhorted the Roman believers to be serious about their personal beliefs, and to allow for other thoughts on the same issue. You did that, but in a public way, like walking into the grocery store and proclaiming that you would never touch a green vegetable, not that "others" couldn't eat them, but you were never to be in the presence of "those" evil vegetables. I happen to like green vegetables.

The best way to tell the Ohio folks of your choice is to tell them, not all 13,000 of us.

Just my humble opinion.

Shalom
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:D Pastor Rick . I am very well known on the forum . I have a good reputation on the same . I have nothing to hide . I posted this because as i said some people have been wondering about why i don't attend any of their jams . I would assume that you don't attend them either for the same reasons . I could be wrong ! Regardless of how you or anyone took what i said , i had no ill intent at all . So since you and anyone else can't read my mind you need to take my word for my reasons . Emails surly you wouldn't expect me to e mail everyone when they read the forum ? I am not ashamed of the Gospel or GOD so why would i be worried about that ? I have never claimed to be a poet or any great speaker with charming words , so i just tell it as i feel it in my heart . Again with '' no ill intent at all '' . I am really surprised at your comments being a Pastor ! I think this is the first time i have ever seen you on the Forum . Maybe not . I hope you understand what i'm saying a little better now . May GOD bless you in your ministry . As he has ours . Gary .
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I am a frequent poster on the Forum. What would that matter anyway? You are "respected," and I'm...

You are not understanding my point, I think. I'm not telling you to hide anything. The fact is that you chose to make a religious statement in the company of 13,000 people, many of which will not understand you, and then argue with the one, or two who speak up. Being a pastor has nothing to do with my comments, they are common, public Forum, sense. Who said you are ashamed?

Yeah, I do think that the organizations you are member of have ways to directly contact members.

All I'm saying is: don't be surprised, or hurt, when folks find this sort of post unreasonable.

I live too far away from your area to be involved, but I don't care where I go into, folks know me for who I am, they know my mind and my beliefs, and I do not get hung up about theirs. Like I said, Paul spoke to this in Romans... I'd say, "go to the jams, and if your religious friends disagree, get new religious friends." I DO understand your comments, and believe that freedom in Christ is greater than my ability to be free. Jesus ate with? And eating was / is the test of real community with each other.

Peace, and blessings Gary, I mean no ill will.
RICK ABBOTT
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Pastor Rick . You expect me to feel bad with your comments and understand this ,, you are making your opinions and i am suppose to accept them ??? I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but i'm thinking there is more people than you say that could see this if they want to . Mr Phil Robertson is going through the same thing with stating his beliefs . What's up with this ?? And yes you can say that again i don't understand your point ! I don't think letting people know my feelings would be considered arguing . Where is this coming from ? You don't understand me . The jams i am talking about are in other parts of Ohio , they aren't members of the club we have . You missed my point here , it's not about what others say ,it's about the Spirit of God that lives in my heart that tells me what i should do and where i go . I sure hope this ends soon . I never expected this of anyone . Why can't i give my opinions and be accepted for who and what i stand for ? I am not judging anyone here !
Bill L. Wilson

To Go or Not to Go.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Gary, after playin' in churches, tent revivals, Christian concerts, and prisons for40yrs. I went back to playin' in bar rooms and clubs. We play hardcore country, and classic rock. The opportunity to be a Witness for Jesus has been opened up for me, far beyond what I had ever dreamed. I do not partake of alcoholic beverages, or any mind altering drugs of any kind. The church folks where I attend, know I'm a bar room player, and welcome me in when I set in with the band. I don't recommend this life style to folks who can't stay away from the bottle, or have problems around drugs. But, If you're a strong Christian, and don't mind smellin' like smoke, it's a fun gig, you can keep your chops up, and win a lost soul ever now and again. If you feel GOD convicting you about going in a place like that, then I wouldn't go in.
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I agree with Bill.

I'm sorry I offended you Gary. I will not do what some do and remove my posts. All I was trying to say was what Bill did, I'm just not smart enough to say it so plainly, or not say it at all.

I didn't "want" you to "feel bad." The whole thing is a series of misunderstandings.

Maybe the thread's title should have mentioned the Ohio Jam, or something to alert those people to your opinions, but as it is, people with no connection to the Ohio Jam Sessions need to look at your personal opinion to be able to know what your post is about.
Last edited by Rick Abbott on 20 Dec 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RICK ABBOTT
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Good one Chris, everywhere you go you stir it up!!!

:lol:
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Deleted.
Last edited by Rick Campbell on 20 Dec 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Abbott

Here's What I mean

Post by Rick Abbott »

Gary,

Follow the link to see what I mean about not making all 13,000 of us have to know your personal opinion.

This has not been against your religion, just about good housekeeping.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=257594
RICK ABBOTT
Bill Howard

Curious where do you

Post by Bill Howard »

Just curious where people who will not attend a function over liquor buys their food>??.here is a partial ist of groceries that sell liquor
1 Wal Mart
2 K Mart
3 Target
4 Meijers
5 Aldi's
6 Marsh
Even little local stores in my town sells beer some more
THis is only a partial list off food suppliers
CVS and Walgreens sell booze.
ALso I know some go the the Steel convention is that OK?? They did sell liquor the last time I went??. I'm not trying to be critical but the ubject arose and I was curious
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i still haven't gotten an answer to my question before it was all misconstrued.

are christians not supposed to drink alcohol?
just trying to get straight on this.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

:roll:
Last edited by George Redmon on 20 Dec 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Hollingsworth

Booze

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

Hi Chris,
The answer to your question is:
The New Testament does provide several references against drunkenness but not against any and all enbibing with the exception of Pastors who are exhorted not to drink at all as an example to their flock. Folks like to drink for one of three reasons...
1. Because they enjoy the flavor - ok in moderation
2. For social purposes - ok in moderation if you aren't a pastor
3. To "Party" - (tie one on, get a buzz, etc, etc). - not ok,

Speaking from experience, the third option definitely has it's downsides. The other two can be Biblical if the drinker knows their limits & doesn't exceed them.

I don't really have to include scriptural references do I? (Tho' I can....)

Merry Christmas to you all!

Jim
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Catholics do not discourage drinking. Wine is a big part of communion and symbolizes the blood of Christ. I've known several priests who liked the harder stuff, as well.
Last edited by Mike Neer on 20 Dec 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Gary, what I am getting from your posts is that you would be most content playing sacred steel guitar in church only. Is this correct? :|
Gary Preston

'' Just My Convictions ''

Post by Gary Preston »

Here you go George . Guys if you look at my '' Post Title '' you will see it says '' Just my convictions '' Right ? At no time was i ever judging or being critical of anyone . Just stating my convictions and that's all ! At no time did i mislead anyone as to my meaning . I have been in a Gospel Music Ministry for 36 years . At no time have i ever '' looked back '' and wanted to go back to the clubs . I have been to Bible College , and teaching the Bible to whoever will accept it . I know someone will be negative about this also but it is what it is . The most i would expect from you is something like this . Gary i may not agree with you but if that's the way you feel i support your feelings . See how easy that is ? Regardless of '' what state '' i'm in my convictions will be the same . We have a great steel guitar club based here in Columbus and i am very proud of all our people . Everyone is welcome to be a part of O.S.G.A. Ohio . We play all styles of music from Gospel , Country , Jazz ,etc . We appreciate all of our people that makes our jams a success . I hope this clears things up for you . Best regards and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year . Gary .
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

It's comforting to know that, in the event it's removed from television, we can always get our "Duck Dynasty fix" right here on the Steel Guitar Forum :lol: :roll: :lol:
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

I may or may not be speaking for Chris here- but I think I had the same exact reaction when I read it Gary-

I didn't understand what you were saying-

At first it kind of read that you didn't want to play with the people at the VFW and Eagle Club and OSGA...

I had to 'read between the lines" and infer that you didn't play there because alcohol is there, it wasn't that apparent at first.

Your only mention was that they do not serve it on jam days.

I think it's just been a big misunderstanding from the get go.

That's my take on it, anyway

:D
Dennis Russell

Post by Dennis Russell »

i just read this post and I'm puzzled. I'm not puzzled as to your personal reasons for not wanting to go into bars, taverns, or places where people drink. That is your decision. Fine. I do not believe in any god, and I often don't go to these places just because I don't like being around drunk people, or being in a loud atmosphere.

When I read your original post, I interpret it as a expression of self-importance (and note I did not use the words "self-righteous," which could possibly apply to someone who uses religious beliefs as a basis for their behavior). My interpretation of your original post is that you are assuming that your absence at local steel guitar jams is a subject of discussion among attendees of those jams and you feel the need to explain your absence because you feel that your absence contributes to a negative perception of you.

And…BTW--Usually it is online etiquette, in email or forum posts, to use normal text. Bold text is typically used for emphasis (considered a raised voice) and all caps is considered shouting.

I don't know the original poster and I don't have "a dog in this fight", but am just explaining my interpretation as a random forum member, which may aid in understanding why other forum members are weighing in on being confused by the original post.
ETS S10, Fender Champion 6 string lap steel, Magnatone 6 string lap steel, Johnson Dobro, 1961 Fender Bassman, Fender Blues Jr., Fender Mustang III