I am losing my chops

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

My chops are long gone. Now I'm left with ground chuck.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I am now eighty and when I play I try to leave out the part that folks don't listen to anyway.
I blew a trumpet in my early years and there is nothing that can express feeling like a steel guitar.
Yes I am biased when it comes to music.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I never could play fast.. :D
But I do understand what your saying.. ;-)

I always like the speedy stuff, just wasn't cut out for it I guess...
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I found the answer, move to Phoenix. Since coming back in Nov I have really noticed joint stiffness.
Gosh I guess what they say is true.

Do not let Patti see this and do not call her, she would have us packed up and out of here in a week. :D :D :D

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Dave Bertoncini

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

Now you are talkin'....been trying to tell you that since you left
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bo Legg "the older I get the better I was" :lol:
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I play as fast as I ever did, of course I miss half the notes :D
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

What is lost in "speed" is recovered in "taste."
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Larry,
If I may be so bold and respectfully suggest, for the remainder of your life, purchase another 15K worth of effects. You'll be so busy tweaking and reporting said toys, diminishing chops will no longer, will not ever, be a topic De Jour
:D
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

I find all this to be true also. As age advances, so does stiffness, arthritis, miscellaneous joint pain, memory loss, and lack of focus sometimes ALL seem to advance also. I have had a great ride with music and still mostly enjoy playing. I don't like hauling equipment tho'....lol
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

Larry, Losing speed myself. Jeff Newman told me one time in Dallas when I asked him about his speed course that he has never been hired for his speed but for the way he played pretty. the great John Hughey was never a real speed demon but was never without work.
Keep pickin', Larry
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I would venture that if you were playing shows several nights a week like you use to do your chops would soar...
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I have been working 2 night a week for the last 3 years.

Larry
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Dave Grafe wrote:I would venture that if you were playing shows several nights a week like you use to do your chops would soar...
Yes, but, I've found that, that only works with a steel friendly band. I worked many shows where I'm restricted to regimented confines of playing. Very restricted with no chance for improvisation. You get to play, but, it's lke a dog with a muzzle. If you can work with a band that really appreciates the steel, that gives you a free hand, then, you can experiment and play more freely. One band that I used to work with was like that. The guitar player and I worked out our parts on stage and traded licks and took turns backing up the singer. It was very successful and I was able to really hone my craft to a fine knife edge. Of course, that was yesterday and gigs were plentiful, back then. Nowadays, I play part time in a band, where, I have freedom to play, but, the gigs are not regular. So, the ring rust is showing and my skills aren't what they were, which, is also affected by my age. The desire is there, but, the ability is waning. I'm at a different plateau now. It's hard to accept, but, it is what it is, I guess.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

John De Maille wrote:
Dave Grafe wrote:I would venture that if you were playing shows several nights a week like you use to do your chops would soar...
Yes, but, I've found that, that only works with a steel friendly band. I worked many shows where I'm restricted to regimented confines of playing. Very restricted with no chance for improvisation. You get to play, but, it's lke a dog with a muzzle. If you can work with a band that really appreciates the steel, that gives you a free hand, then, you can experiment and play more freely. One band that I used to work with was like that. The guitar player and I worked out our parts on stage and traded licks and took turns backing up the singer. It was very successful and I was able to really hone my craft to a fine knife edge. Of course, that was yesterday and gigs were plentiful, back then. Nowadays, I play part time in a band, where, I have freedom to play, but, the gigs are not regular. So, the ring rust is showing and my skills aren't what they were, which, is also affected by my age. The desire is there, but, the ability is waning. I'm at a different plateau now. It's hard to accept, but, it is what it is, I guess.
You stated it well John.. Pretty common scenario that many of us can relate to.. However, I have heard you play, and you have plenty of ability.

Lets imagine a good local band gave you a call.. They play well, often, and loved the steel, and allowed you to shine...
Your playing would quickly become very satisfactory to your ear.. You just aren't playing as much,, and probably not playing with the same level musicians as you did years ago... I can relate...bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I've never been satisfied w/ my chops.

Playing 2 days a week or month is usually just about enough to get get over the initial frustration and settle in.

Only when when I played 6-7 nights/week, was I relaxed enough to play fluidly and get my thoughts across.........but,never satisfied. I always thought my chops could improve.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Great thread, and thanks everyone for the contributions.
I never got caught up in too much desire for speed, beyond what I wanted to express my feelings at the moment, and concentrated instead on tone and more fluid expression. But after a cervical injury a few years back, I found myself mostly recovered except for some numbness in my right hand, and a slowly worsening disconnect between what my brain "sends" and the fingers "receive". I'm not sure it matters much to anyone but me, but it's hard to no longer be able to play everything I want, and have to make adjustments. I see a definite loss of speed and articulation, and a few "licks" or movements I simply can't do at all any more. Aging sucks... but I'm doing my best to reframe my own expectations.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

I have an instructional video from Sam Bush.
In the video, he says that the older he gets, the longer it takes him to warm up.

Getting older sucks, but it beats the only other option.

Rick
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

Hey Larry - Now you'll sound better because you'll be playing what's good for the song rather that what shows you off as a player. Make better choices for what you can still do. For me, steel guitar is about the sound, emotion and expression, which have nothing to do with speed. Leave the hot licks to the young hotshots.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Larry, slow down your background tape to half a speed, then record your playing, after that speed it up to a regular speed, and you will be playing faster than you ever did... :wink:

Db

btw. I can't ever lose my fast chops, can't lose something I never had to begin with...
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I thought I was doing okay, until I read a Bill Hankey post in which he confronted one of his critics and challenged his antagonist's ability on steel guitar by saying "let's see how fast you play Orange Blossom Special,"

When I read that, I knew I was in the deep end of the pool without my water wings, and realized that, if that's the criteria for steel proficiency, I'm sunk and might as well sell all my gear.

The hunt, as you might well imagine, is over.

;)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

In the world of the blind, a one-eyed man is king.
That one stuck with me. 8)