TELE bridge? Individual or standard 3 barrel bridge

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Len Amaral

TELE bridge? Individual or standard 3 barrel bridge

Post by Len Amaral »

Anyone prefer the standard 3 barrel bridge over the 6 individual saddle bridge?

I know the intonation is better with the individual saddles. However, is the sound more pleasing with a 3 barrel bridge?

I have a Tele type guitar with the 6 saddles and it does not snap like a 3 barrel bridge. Also, are these bridges interchangeable? Any info is appreciated.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Me? I like the 3 saddle bridge, with brass saddles.
Simpler is better for myself.
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

3 for me as well. There are plenty variations of the compensated 3 barrels as well. Also, there way I see it, all of the classic records I like were made with those "out of tune" teles.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

4 of my 5 Telecaster-types(one's a G&L)have six-saddle bridges,one has a 3 saddle.I did swap the original 6 saddle for a compensated 3 saddle on my '75,but I couldn't hear much,if any,difference.Changed it back.Here's a pic.

L-R:'75 Tele,'94 G&L ASAT,'96 50th Anniversary,'99 Nashville B-bender(USA),'04 MIM Classic '50's Esquire w/aftermarket Bigsby-this one has the 3 saddle bridge.Threaded uncompensated saddles.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

@ Len-
There were some six-saddle vintage bridgeplate Teles made,but most of the six-saddle Teles I've seen are American Standards,so I'm assuming that's what your Tele is.The American Standard six saddle bridgeplate doesn't interchange with the "vintage" 3 saddle bridgeplate.Vintage has 4 mounting screws,AmStd has 3,and I think the string-thru-body holes are also differently placed.A vintage 3 saddle bridgeplate could be retrofitted,but plan on doing some woodwork.Haven't checked lately,but it's possible someone has come up with a drop-in 3 saddle replacement bridgeplate for the American Standard.Stew-Mac or Parts Is Parts maybe?
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

As a matter of personal taste, I say three brass saddles. Seems to take away just a little of the ice-pick highs and emphasize the throaty mids, compared with single steel saddles. I've tried several different brands of compensated (slanted) brass saddles, and they all clean up the intonation. Very noticeable on the 3rd string, so that you can play both E AND C chords without one sounding sour.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I prefer the original formula of Telecaster, from the vintage tuners to the 3 barrel saddles. You learn to compromise where needed to get acceptable intonation. The only thing I prefer on a modern Tele is the tone circuit. Leo pretty much nailed it right out of the chute. Amazing!
Robert Mayo

Post by Robert Mayo »

Seems most of us like the three bridge saddle versions, the compensated 3 saddle variants work really well.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I put a compensated 3 barrel on my '68 and I'm very happy with it. In general, I think the 3 barrels have a slightly brighter, snappier tone than the 6 saddle bridges.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I have 5 Telecasters at the moment and all with six saddle bridges. My main Tele has a six saddle bridge and I don't know of another Tele that sounds any better. I've even replaced the G string saddle with a "Rolling Bender" lever unit to raise the G string to A.... Here's a shot of the front of the guitar..........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

Glendale and Callaham both make a replacement bridge saddles/plate that fits the American standard Tele bridge.

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale2.htm

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partstel.htm
Jackson Pro-IV D-10, Fender Dual-Pro 8, Epiphone Zephyr-6
James Allison

tele bridges

Post by James Allison »

53 years playing the same tele, a '55, always 3 brass bridges and never had a problem with intonation or tuning...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

it seems then that slight imperfection may actually create some of the magic. as with a p/p emmons..it's not rocket science, but it sounds better!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I was going through the Music section looking for Bender stuff to move over into Almost a Steel Guitar, and dug this up. Yup, 3 saddles for me by far.