The Brevity Of Sustained Interest Is Worthy Of Note

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

The Brevity Of Sustained Interest Is Worthy Of Note

Post by Bill Hankey »

Like a child with a new toy, we tend to wear thin on enthusiasm with musical interests involving advanced playing styles on the pedal steel guitar. Peak interests can become slothful over time without a special desire to keep moving to higher levels of expertise.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Please change the word "we" to "I".
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Most tend to languish contentedly in the cradle of mediocrity which is the ongoing path of the PSG. Lethargy does little to stimulate imagination in search of more challenging avenues of approach and style. A nonexistent audience is anathema to even the most brilliant, innovative and imaginative performance. This seems to question whether any effort in a divergent direction is worthwhile.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I think we've finally found someone who speaks Bill's language...;)
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jim,

As far as I'm concerned, Richard Damron is to be a recognized discernible individual who expresses himself in such a way as to clear any doubts concerning intellectual prowesses.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I don't believe there is any lethargy or sloth when chasing tone is involved. Or when it comes to the great debate involving which is better tone wise, a tube amplifier or a solid state amplifier.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

If' n ya'll gots the far, ye kin larn quick-like.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Most tend to languish contentedly in the cradle of mediocrity which is the ongoing path of the PSG. Lethargy does little to stimulate imagination in search of more challenging avenues of approach and style. A nonexistent audience is anathema to even the most brilliant, innovative and imaginative performance. This seems to question whether any effort in a divergent direction is worthwhile.
I agree, Richard. After languishing at the bottom for forty years, I finally gave it up. :)

So much for brevity, Bill. See above.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

bill..are you saying one gets stale if caught in a rut of non-advancement? or are you just trying to annoy us with your intended mumbo jumbo?
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Bill these endless topics of frustration associated with repeated failures in achieving higher levels is most likely the determining factor over time in becoming slothful.
Self-efficacy is the most important precondition for behavioral change.
Jerry Berger

Post by Jerry Berger »

What??? :whoa: :whoa:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Unfortunately, Homo sapiens as a whole linger at the threshold of completing difficult challenges, more often than not. Even when success is in plain view, many who have opted originally to carry out a mission, grind to a halt. Learning to become a respectable steel guitarist, requires many hours dedicated to the purpose of overcoming the urge to ease up by finding other interests. The steel guitar will not come to you, you must go to it.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

who are you to speak for homo sapiens as a whole?
Butch Mullen

Post by Butch Mullen »

BILL, it's plain to see you are feeling better.I'm glad.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Chris, I've ventured in close proximity with a large number of folks over the years who would thwart my best efforts, if I moved in the direction that they were contemplating as the most productive. I remember the worker with broken English who once said to me, "You lift it, I steady it", as we were attempting to remove a boiler from a cellar. Little did he know that my one ton pickup truck was equipped with a power winch. Luckily there are those circulating in our midst who have the good sense to know our limitations.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 8 Dec 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

I find that by wading into a "pool" of controversial subject matters, it lends to the fueling of otherwise out of sorts rationale. Rationalization is not the answer. Proving a point should be a valid reason to pursue and maintain a course of action that will inevitably bring about a reasonable solution to problematic dilemmas. A disciplinary plan of action that would include on average, a two hour practice session daily, would remove the quirky habit of hit and miss on the pedal steel guitar.
Jan Viljoen

Post by Jan Viljoen »

Don't know how many sloths play pedal steel, but this one seems to mastered the guitar.

The urge to learn more is still there.

I like your humor, it makes life more interesting.

Let the practice begin!

:mrgreen:
Sierra S10, Stage One, Gibson BR4, Framus, Guya 6&8, Hofner lap, Custom mandolins, Keilwerth sax.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peavey112-Valve King and Special, Marshall 100VS.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

A summary-Bill says becoming a very good steel guitarist involves focus, and that players become lazy, or they don't. Then, as a species we mostly choose mediocrity. Then, some people make poor choices when they don't understand the whole situation. Then, practice makes us better. I'm sure I overlooked some subtlety.
A comment- I think that work/family demands, rather than other interests and/or laziness as suggested, are the biggest impediment to practice.
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

Interesting quote: "Part of the true luxury of "earned laziness" are the braggin rights that come along with being purposefully and publicly lazy. It is a badge of distinction, an emblem of success, without having to say too much about it. It labels us, affords us kudos, and raises our profile in the "pecking order" of our fellow troglodytes. It says to others, "See, I've done so well that I can afford to do nothing at all whenever I so choose!"

AL GINI, The Importance of Being Lazy
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Enthusiasm wanes when we (I) venture into ways that are not necessary.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Briefly:
Simple __ not simplistic.
Play for your audience __ not for another musician.
If four notes sound more beautiful __ don't try to fit in eight.
Don't try to make a complex chord fit __ if a simple major will work well.

Do violinist lose enthusiasm because they don't have enough strings or equipment with which to tinker?
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Ken Campbell wrote:If' n ya'll gots the far, ye kin larn quick-like.
Dis ole boy sez it all, whur ya can go way knot doubtin whut he sez.
5220 Gretsch
Godin A-6
Godan 5th Ave.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Asa,

What is a steel guitar? It's something that is quite distant from gruffness; the like of which is heard in a rude voice, heard above all others in a quiet setting. The steel's pure tonalities emanating with the soothing melodies of our precious songbirds, is thought to be in a class of musical instruments that would be difficult to mimic. Some of our greatest players have openly declared that their searches for further developing a higher level of exquisite splendor is just out of reach. I could agree that the pedal steel guitar is still in its early stages of development.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

Bill,
I'm sure this is the answer you were looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_guitar

-and a few more thoughts- don't you think 'gruffness' or 'rudeness' is well within the scope of steel guitar? some of the more accomplished players- sneaky pete, david lindley, r.randolph to name a few- are capable of more than 'soothing melodies of our precious songbirds'.
I doubt any musician ever get's that feeling of having arrived. if so, it's probably a trap?
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Bill Hankey wrote:Asa,

What is a steel guitar? It's something that is quite distant from gruffness; the like of which is heard in a rude voice, heard above all others in a quiet setting. The steel's pure tonalities emanating with the soothing melodies of our precious songbirds, is thought to be in a class of musical instruments that would be difficult to mimic. Some of our greatest players have openly declared that their searches for further developing a higher level of exquisite splendor is just out of reach. I could agree that the pedal steel guitar is still in its early stages of development.
Bill, a steel guitar is an inantimate piece of steel, wood, brass, chrome and aluminum plus some wire strings that will, sometime in life, suddenly reach out and grab your brain and squeeze it until you say "Hey, I can do that kind of music.....hell I can just sit down there by you and push those pedals and music will come out"....then you try it and a glaze comes over your eyes and you start to thinking oooOOOO( Hey that was almost good)OOOoooo then you hit it again and press a few more pedals or levers....the wife yells "breakfast is ready"...YOU: "Just a minute I about got something going".....She " I see you after work " and she leaves.....11:00 your boss calls " You OK? we missed you this morning.......errrr You I just got tied up here...be right in"....you are hooked so just buy all the learning stuff that you can afford and come back in here and start the questions like...."Can I get a suspended 13th on the 8th fret with my thumb, somehow"....welcome to the madness of the budding steelman!
5220 Gretsch
Godin A-6
Godan 5th Ave.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

Bill Hankey wrote:Asa,

You obviously have not attended the jams that I have. The steel guitar can often be painful.........