Brandy Williams --Honky Tonks and Heartaches

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Terry Hickey

Brandy Williams --Honky Tonks and Heartaches

Post by Terry Hickey »

I stumbled on this CD via YouTube. If you have not heard it you should take a listen. It is loaded with great music and pedal steel. Brandy reminds me of Lee Ann Womack. I'm not sure who the pedal steel player is but whoever it is.... what a great job. A whole bunch of different flavors.

Thanks Terry Hickey
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

The steel player on Brandy's record is Mike Johnson.
Terry Hickey

Post by Terry Hickey »

Brett, Thanks for the info. I like the CD because it has a old style country sound. Does not surprise me that it is Mike Johnson.. Terrific player.

Take Care, Terry
Last edited by Terry Hickey on 21 Nov 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I'll check with Brandy. If it's ok with her.I'll post a few links to her You-tubes in a day or so.

bb
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i don't think you need permission to link to anthing on youtube, do you? since it's already out there.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Nice, thanks guys. Brandy sounds a little like Pam Tillis as well.
Terry Hickey

Post by Terry Hickey »

If you get a chance listen to "Stranger Things Have Happened" and the steel solo at about 2:10 into the song. Simply beautiful. Love it ...Terry
Bill Howard

Better watch

Post by Bill Howard »

Guys you better watch talking about real country music around here, I posted something about it a few years ago and a female sent me a not so nice message about how Nashville was doing things right and country music WAS alive and well.... YOU BET.. the ONLY Country Music around is on RFD TV or in Texas that Crap TRASHVILLE is putting out is NOTHING but POP ROCK nothing but, those AWARD shows are a JOKE! TAYLOR SWIFT??
Makes me Puke as do the rest of those Bimbo little silly grls and those cowboy wannabe Bums who come out trying to sing in ripped up jeans looking like they havent bathed in a month or so. GOOD OLD TRASHVILLE.
I don't even use the radio in any of my vehicles EVER I hate POP ROCK WANNABES I would love to pop that Blake Shelton in his Pie Hole for making the "OLD FART GRANDPA Music" Comment he is a smart mouthed PUNK!
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Come on Bill, how do you really feel? :)
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

Brandy & Amber are doing a great job of keeping good country music going. I agree totally, about Trashville
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

BILL HOWARD, 100% ON TARGET.

I'll be mailing Brandy Williams a check tomorrow for her new CD.

Got all of Amber's, Justin's, CDs' plus lots more of great American Traditional Country music CDs, mostly from Heart of Texas Records.

By the way, does Nashville still have true American country music or has Lady Gaga taken over Music Row. Boy, wait till Rapper "50 cent" finds out he can appear on the Opry stage, the bling will be glowing that night.
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Who's the steel player on Brandy's CD?????
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Kenneth Kotsay wrote:Who's the steel player on Brandy's CD?????
Asked and answered: read post #2
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Don thanks for informing me that Mike Johnson was Brandy's steel player, he did an excellent job.

I had thought it was Dick Overby or Jim Lossenberg.

Can't wait till I get Brandy's new CD.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

There is SO much good talent out there. Yet for $ome rea$on they ju$t don't $eem to get the expo$ure that goes to the flavor-of-the-month on the radio. Brandy is a good example but there are so many more. It's too bad that the people who enjoy and support her kind of music are spread out all over the country - make that all over the world - and in any one area it's often too thin to allow it to thrive. Thankfully we have the internet!
Terry Hickey

Post by Terry Hickey »

Don, Your right..... Ashley Monroe is another great young talent. Her latest album is loaded with great songs and pedal steel.

Terry
Roger Dillingham

Brandy Williams CD

Post by Roger Dillingham »

Hey thanks fellows for posting this info about Brandy and her CD; and of course Brett is right as usual about her steel player on this effort. I was so impressed after hearing the you tube links that Carl directed us to that I had to go to Amazon MP3 downloader and buy a download so I could enjoy it immediately on my computer and my android phone! Great choice, and I totally agree with the fact that there are very few making good country music these days....Amber, Brandy, and a couple others can still provide us with hope! Maybe Nashville will eventually take a hint that there is still a market out there for traditional REAL COUNTRY MUSIC!!! Thanks again, ya'll! Roger :D :D
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Wow, Great work, steel was fabulous....Who was the guitar player?? great picker, sounds Brent-ish?
A.K.A Chappy.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I stumbled across "Stranger Things Have Happened" this morning. Tried to find info as I thought it was Mike Johnson on steel, but no luck. Then this thread showed up in a search.

This woman is the real deal. This is a real old thread. Does anyone know if she is still around.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Here's a shot at the tab for Mike Johnson's steel on "Stranger Things Have Happened" that I did a few years ago.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... t=stranger
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hey folks, does anyone have contact to buy one of these C.D.?
New or used, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

It’s available on iTunes, and I imagine most streaming services.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thank You Ken but I do not know how to do any of that kind of thing. I would prefer a CD. Thanks, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

J R Rose wrote:Hey folks, does anyone have contact to buy one of these C.D.?
New or used, J.R. Rose
I got the mp3 downloads from Amazon for about $9. I believe the CD might no longer be available. I looked and couldn't find one.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.