ernest cawby passes

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I just saw this post...I will miss Ernie. He was always ready to have ajam. I really enjoyed the
" Pickin on the front porch " jams. Ernie was a devoted family man and a very adept musician. \
Like many others I first met him at the Florida Steel Guitar Club. He loved the old country and played from the heart as we all should.
To Nan and the family my heart goes out..God bless you all.
Bud
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

The last picture made of Dad 3 days before he was gone

Al Vesel

Ernest Cawby

Post by Al Vesel »

Go Rest High on that Mountain Ernie. He certainly was a great man and will be missed. I got a couple of his great amp stands.

God Bless the family at this time of sorrow.

Al Vesel & Family :( :(
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
Pete Conklin

Mr. Cawby

Post by Pete Conklin »

I just saw this and I'm saddened.

What a sweet man. I bought a few things from him just this past spring and every deal was class and integrity.
He'd always invite me to come jam on his porch. RIP Ernie.

Prayers to the Cawby family.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The report I got, from one person that was at the Celebration of life, was that it was well attended by both musicians and family and friends. He said the celebration was a very nice tribute to Ernie. (He said the food was great too).

Sadly, I had to be at a picking job by 4PM, in Inverness Fl, and I couldn't attend.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
J J Harmon

Goodby Earnie see you later.

Post by J J Harmon »

He really was a highlite of my life.
Rick Simmons

Post by Rick Simmons »

Our sincere condolences to all the family.We will miss him. His Emails & pictures of him & our son, Bill,will always be a treasure for us.
Sincerely, Rick & LiL Simmons, Canada.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

R.I.P. Ernie.....
Emmons LeGrande III Pedal Steel. '54 Gibson lap steel, Peavey Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Telecaster,Banjo, Peavey Power slide Lap Steels ,Effects, and other assorted crap.....
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

Oh no I just saw this post. This saddens me. I didn't know Ernie for long but he was such a sweet man. I haven't been on forum for a while cause I just lost my father in law on Sunday.
God bless you Ernie. RIP!!!!!
Lee Wilber

Post by Lee Wilber »

Ernie, Don Sulesky and myself went to Dallas and St Louis conventions together. Enjoyed all the good times we had there. It seemed he knew every one and every one knew him. He would tell me storys of his early days in the late 40s when he played with the LA. Hay Ride band and when he met his beautiful wife.I would always call him the hall of famer because to me that is who he was. My prayers go out to his entire family. Lee Wilber
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Just now saw this, been away since August. So, so saddened by this. I did not know Ernie personnaly, but met him a couple times at the local Steel Guitar Club; he was a guy you just immediately took a likin to. :) God Bless the family. ...
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Laurie Ayres

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Nan, Belinda and family,
I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile. I was shocked to hear about Ernie. The last time I heard from him he wanted to know if I wanted a record of Roy playing. I said sure but I never did hear from him again.

Roy & I enjoyed many jams with Ernie and his Daughter. Also went up his way to play and "eat" with the group.

We loved all of you and I too still miss those days.

My prayers and heart go out to you and the family. Roy has been gone 1 1/2 years now and it still seems like yesterday. I can feel your pain...he's with Roy now once again and I know they are having a good time. We will see them again one day.

Stay strong God and time are the only answers. I listen to Roy play all the time and have a lot of videos from the jams.

God Bless and comfort you all,
Laurie Ayres
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Ernie touched us all I think...We became instant friends,,,Til we meet again brother Ernie..Mick
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bill Cook

Ernest Cawby Passes

Post by Bill Cook »

Ernie Cawby will be inducted into The Alabama Steel Guitar Association's Hall of Fame on February 1, 2014 at The ASGA Show. Induction ceremony will be at 2.00 at The Music Hall, 935 N. Memorial Drive ( Highway 31 ) Prattville, Al 36067.
Ernie was a Charter Member of The ASGA and provided years of excellent guidance & suggestions. Ernie only missed 1 ASGA Show. 2012 our Show was same date as Saluda Show. Ernie called me and said he was going to have to break his commitment to Saluda, and I told him NO! He was so relieved that I understood his situation. Ernie was a fixture at all our Shows, Jams & Functions. He has already and will be sorely missed. Hope all his many Friends can come to The Alabama Show and see Ernie's induction. Bill Cook