Show Us Your Console

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I don't know why I didn't notice this thread before. It's so entertaining you could print it up and sell it as a book. 8)
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"Gibson changed the design to the more familiar type for production. It is a possability that yours is the only surviving example! See if you can contact Mr. Duchossoir somehow...he probably knows as much about this as anyone. "

I'm not having any luck making contact. Anyone know how to contact him?
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I had a Gibson Consolette just like it, only the name badge had been removed. The old guy I bought it from told me he bought it used in 1949. So the one above is late 1940's. I usually described mine as a 47 or 48, because that's when the guy thought it was made. Like mine, the one above looks to be korina wood. The P-90's sounded great!

BTW, what does the case look like?
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

And:

RICK ABBOTT
Peter Huggins

Post by Peter Huggins »

To Rick Abbott: The Consolette was introduced in mid-1952, according to Andre's book. 1949 was a long time ago and so was 1952... it's possible the seller may have been misinformed or scrambled up the dates after so many years.
I had a friend whose father had a lot of instruments, among them a 1955 Les Paul Special (first year of production). It had a stamped ink serial number beginning with a 5. When I told him the guitar was from 1955, he said, "Impossible! I bought it before that!"
A big THANKS to all my friends, here and everywhere !
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

Peter,

That sounds reasonable to me! Memory does fade.
RICK ABBOTT
Peter Huggins

Post by Peter Huggins »

Here's mine: A Supro dual 6. These were sold without legs, but the previous owner fitted legs that he made from conduit pipe. The pipe works pretty good, just screw a leg in or out a bit to shore up differences from uneven floors. He custom made the leg sockets, pointing the flanges the way he wanted and then having them welded in place, or so I was told. He also rewired the guitar, putting in an A/B switch - one neck on at a time only. The pickups are pretty hot, don't know if they were rewound, but it sounds good. Oh, BTW, I bought it from Tom Murphy.

A big THANKS to all my friends, here and everywhere !
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Sold this early 60s Stringmaster a few years ago. The previous owner had glued the case logo onto the guitar. The the new owner refinished it back to original blond with the proper decal.

Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Sierra with 5-position pickup

Surf Green Allison

Bob Gibler

Re: 4 Neck Wright Custom10 string

Post by Bob Gibler »

[quote="Bob Gibler"]This 4 neck 10 string Wright console, Belonged to my Father for many years and has been neglected over the last 40 years. "It is now under complete restoration".
Correction, Now Completed and playable. I just received my new Kevin Hattan case for this Console covered in fender blond tweed, and it is premium. Thanks to Kevin on a job well done
Bob Gibler

Re: 4 Neck Wright Custom10 string

Post by Bob Gibler »

bOB, Donation on the way, Thanks
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

Bob,

THAT is a tremendous steel guitar! There cannot be too many, maybe no other, like it. A real piece of history. Thanks for sharing. A couple of ten string tunings have me pretty stumped...4? Wow! The player who could think about, and use 4 is my hero.
RICK ABBOTT
Bob Gibler

Post by Bob Gibler »

Rick Abbott wrote:Bob,

THAT is a tremendous steel guitar! There cannot be too many, maybe no other, like it. A real piece of history. Thanks for sharing. A couple of ten string tunings have me pretty stumped...4? Wow! The player who could think about, and use 4 is my hero.
Rick, Yes it is I am finding out that it is a one of a kind, built By the late Chuck Wright. It is a very special Console that My late dad played professionally before He transitioned to the Pedal Sho-Bud Steels. My Brother Jeff had all of the Tunings and String Gage's I put the Bronze strings on it like my father originally had on it and Jeff tuned each neck to perfection. The Bronze strings have a very WARM Baritone sound to them. Thanks for the Nice comments.
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

Here's one I've gotten lots of use for over the years. I wanted a nine string instrument with the same string spacing as the standard pedal steel, so I made my own. Nice tone. C6th, E13th, A6th