Changing strings, shoes?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Walter Seaman

Changing strings, shoes?

Post by Walter Seaman »

Hi everyone,
For a 10 string PSG E9 tuning, about how many hours of good quality sound is reasonable to expect from a new set of strings? This may vary from player to player and guitar to guitar, but I wondered if there was a 'general average'. Of course if the strings start sounding dull, dead or tinny/twangy, it would be time to change them.
I'm a newbie on PSG and was going to change strings just like I do on ordinary guitar-with string winder, needle nose pliers, etc. If there are any tricks which would be useful to know, I would appreciate hearing about them!

Also I've noticed that different shoes really make a difference in my ability to effectively push the pedals down. Maybe this is just inexperience on my part but for some reason it seems easier with sneakers than with hard-sole shoes. Anyone else ever experience this effect?

Thanks for your time and help!
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

You got it right when you said that the time to change strings depends on the player and the guitar. You also know it depends on the brand of strings, the humidity and a host of other factors.

When should a newbie change strings? You'll get a lot of thoughts about this but I would say that, as a newbie, you don't worry about it. Oh, if you're really going at it and practicing all the time then maybe change strings every couple of months (gasp!). The point is, the condition of your guitar's strings will not be high on the priority list as a beginner. My opinion.

What type of footwear? I've worn it all, from boots to tennies. Actually, truth be told, cowboy boots with their higher heels do pivot better over the pedals. But they're not something I typically wear. Wear something comfortable. You'll get a lot of different opinions on this, too.

Best of luck.
Walter Seaman

Post by Walter Seaman »

Eric Philippsen wrote:You got it right when you said that the time to change strings depends on the player and the guitar. You also know it depends on the brand of strings, the humidity and a host of other factors.

When should a newbie change strings? You'll get a lot of thoughts about this but I would say that, as a newbie, you don't worry about it. Oh, if you're really going at it and practicing all the time then maybe change strings every couple of months (gasp!). The point is, the condition of your guitar's strings will not be high on the priority list as a beginner. My opinion.

What type of footwear? I've worn it all, from boots to tennies. Actually, truth be told, cowboy boots with their higher heels do pivot better over the pedals. But they're not something I typically wear. Wear something comfortable. You'll get a lot of different opinions on this, too.

Best of luck.
Thanks Eric I appreciate this feedback!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you have a good guitar, it'll stay in tune pretty well. Change strings when they start drifting.

While you're learning this crazy thing, footwear matters: changing sole thickness, stiffness, or shoe heaviness will feel WRONG.
Until you don't have to think about how to do what you're doing, try to stick to one shoe style; you just don't need the distraction.
Once it's halfway reflexive, you'll notice it doesn't matter anymore.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

You didn't mention whether your guitar has pins or slots.
I have 2 with pins, 1 with slots. I find slots slightly more irritating.
With slots, I put the ball in the slot first, hold tension on it as I feed it in the tuner and keep it on as I crank it down. Basically the hand not cranking holds the string in an S curve.
For pins, I put it in the tuner first, putting on the pin as the ball gets near the pin.
PUT THE BALL ALL THE WAY AGAINST THE FINGER. Otherwise the string tension cam break the pin
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Soft soled moccasins work the best.

Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Erv Niehaus wrote:Soft soled moccasins work the best.
For some. When I was learning, anything other than stiff leather (dress shoes, cowboy boots) felt odd.
Now I CAN play nearly anything, but soft mocs and stocking feet feel annoying. YMMV and apparently does.
Choose one and stick with it for awhile.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i prefer stiff smooth-soled boots. they slide on the pedals right, pivot on the heel, have solid up and down action with no slop in the system or hang-up on the pedal like you get from soft soled footwear.
Walter Seaman

Post by Walter Seaman »

Thanks everyone this is very valuable feedback! The video of Sarah Jory changing a string while still singing and then tuning it before going into a break is very cool!
I have a Fender Sho Bud so the ball-end strings are what I'll use. I appreciate all these responses!
WS
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

There was thread on this same topic a little while back and Paul Franklin offered his take. He said that strings should be replaced after about 12 hours of playing time, if I remember correctly. Sooner than most of us admitted that we do.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

I go to Wally World and buy water shoes, they are $9.00 and look like black tennis shoes. They look pretty good and you can feel it if you step on a ant. Check them out, really cool for the cost.
Ken Campbell

Footwear

Post by Ken Campbell »

Anyone else put a little block of wood under their heel?
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Check out Sarah's PSG footwear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHyf5uMlP1s
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

one more note about changing strings...i looked at rusty young's steel when we opened for poco once and his stings were really corroded. it impressed me. he sounded good as ever. the strings on my p/p are getting that way now and i don't plan on changing them til they just don't respond properly anymore.

paul and tommy and some others need fresh strings constantly due to the recording they do, which is understandable. plus, they can afford to.
Bill L. Wilson

Changing Strings.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I played 40gigs on a set here awhile back, but they really started sounding bad, so now I don't leave'em on that long. I've cut it to 16gigs, or 2mos. New strings always sound the best.

And I'm sure Paul, Tommy, and all the Big Guns get endorsement deals on their strings. And rightly so, if I made strings, they would be 1st on my list for sure. It's good business sense, cause look at us, we all want whatever they use in order to up our game. We buy bars, strings, steels, books, lessons, and anything to try and sound like our heroes. If I ever thought it would help me play 1/10 of 1% like them, I would buy strings for all of them.

I have to say, Cowboy Boots is the best pickin' footwear for me. And Oklahoma made Roundhouse Overalls, complete my attire.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

One thing I noticed on the 12 hour string idea. I apply it to the 3rd string. then next 12 hours playing time I change strings 3, 4, 6. then 12 more hours 3rd string or a new set.
The guitar I play out I don't like to go beyond the 12 hours playing time on the 3rd string as it will pop.
The PSG that sits at home for practice.. 3rd string will last up to a year or so.
I think I may pick harder than most and also pick harder live ...
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

nothing says sharp western wear like a pair of loafers.

playing regularly i used to break 3rd strings every few weeks, but for the last 10 or 20 years they seem to last months at least.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

chris ivey wrote:nothing says sharp western wear like a pair of loafers.

:lol:

I find that strings last between days and months, depending on the conditions. Playing outside in the humid summer weather, and they can be dead in a few days. Playing inside, and wiping them off every half-hour, they may last for months.[/img]
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I'm with Erv. Minnetonka Moccasins work well for me too. But be careful ordering them online, because they tend to run at least two sizes small.
Tim Konecky

Post by Tim Konecky »

I have a 2 year old son that keeps me busy a lot of the time... so... frequently I find myself sneaking down to the basement to "get a couple minutes in" behind the steel. For me... it doesn't matter what I have on in terms of shoes at the time. Chucks, flippy floppies, bare feet, tennis shoes (why are they called tennis shoes? I don't play tennis!)... whatever I have on at the time is cool.

For me, the less restrictive the shoe, the better. I know some guys say that cowboy boots are the way to go, but I disagree at least in my case. I feel I don't have the ankle freedom to move my stuff around to get those single pedal to another rolls. That may be because I don't have the best pair of boots to pull it off but I'm not convinced that a great pair of boots would be an upgrade.

Wear what you want to wear... wear what is comfortable to you... don't pick your footwear based on what kind of band you are in. 99% of people won't even notice unless another steel player is in the crowd. Even if he shows up, he'll probably think you figured out the holy grail of shoe selection.

With all that said, you should probably just go out and buy a pair of low top Chuck Taylor's. Black to be specific. But I won't hold it against you if you buy some white ones. Just throw them in the wash every once in while to get the stank out.
Jackson Blackjack
Fender Deluxe
Peavey Nashville 400
Walter Seaman

Post by Walter Seaman »

Thanks for all these posts guys! Your experiences and tips are really interesting to learn about.
Zoran Kosir

Post by Zoran Kosir »

Hi,

change strings when they start drifting. That's it.
I change strings on my Promat guitars when strings are dead (depend how namy hours a day you're playing). Promar guitars are quality guitars, especialy with a new guitar changer ... no string breaking. They have are nice guitar tone, nice sustain and beatifull tone.

http://www.promat-steel-guitars.com/

Regards
Zoran ;-)
PROMAT PRO S10, PROMAT SE10 Economy, Goodrich, Fender Steel King.