A Shoe Filling Thought

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

How long has it been since you heard a "Country" song with a melody that would make a good instrumental? :\
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

doom & gloom! :roll:
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

I'm 26 and adore country music since I was about 9 or 10 years old. I've studied hundreds of country artists, many directions of the genre (Old Time, Bluegrass, Rockabilly, Countrypolitan, West Coast Coutry, Western Swing ...) and must say that there's only very few major artists today that I like. Most of contemporary country music to my ears is noisy, non-melodic, cluttered, screetchy, conceptless and boring. Of course country music has seen many changes since the foundation of the Grand Ole Opry in 1925. But the corner stones of this genre - poetry, storytelling, musical virtuosity, guitars, fiddles and steel guitars etc. have always been there. I do not know any rock, hip hop, pop or jazz listener stating that he would have lost his genre.
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

But fortunately there's a lot of good independent artists out there like Sturgill Simpson or these guys here http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/theyl ... -nashville :)
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Wow, many contributors sound like those of previous generations complaining about the new hillbillly music, rock and roll, bebop, etc.

Hey, decide to get on the bus, take another, or sit on the bench. But don't complain. It's not going to stop the bus from running.

All that being said, there has been a HUGE change in entertainment. Terry put it very well: "Today's fans are not really motivated by music anyway, they're motivated by the visuals and sex appeal. Back in the day, stars became stars because of their music, their sound and style. Today, you simply can't become a star without being a sex object. Look around, and you'll see that. Music is secondary, and the "look" is now the big draw."
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Hey, decide to get on the bus, take another, or sit on the bench. But don't complain. It's not going to stop the bus from running.
Eric, Terry is right. I my case, I rode the bus until it stopped taking me where I wanted to go. It can run all it wants, but I'm not getting back on...
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

How long has it been since you heard a "Country" song with a melody that would make a good instrumental?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI56hQOsmos

(?)

Are we yet again dealing with the idea that the noises you hear on what are claimed to be "country radio" and "country TV" are actually going to be GOOD? Because once you get over that fundamental con job - that music is "country" because someone tells you so - you will find dozens, perhaps hundreds, of great songs year after year after year (the inference is that you used to like "country" therefore you should like what you're being fed as "country" now).

My greatest "problem" with music these days is that I find careful and repeated listening to be most enjoyable, and I'm just swamped with great music (though I do find great music among many different genres).

If it's compelling melodies you're after, you may find mining the "singer-songwriter" genre will turn up more gold than "country"; certainly people like Ray LaMontagne and Norah Jones can turn a wicked tune.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Alexander wrote:
I do not know any rock, hip hop, pop or jazz listener stating that he would have lost his genre.
Not sure about this, some genres simply died, or only live in small clubs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1qJ03lUek
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

David Mason wrote:... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI56hQOsmos (?)
...I'm just swamped with great music (though I do find great music among many different genres)...If it's compelling melodies you're after, you may find mining the "singer-songwriter" genre will turn up more gold than "country"; certainly people like Ray LaMontagne and Norah Jones can turn a wicked tune.
I can't agree any stronger with David's post! (I love Ray LaMontagne's music as well, and thanks for the link BTW...that was smokin!)

I think life's just too short to waste any breath complaining about current trends in popular music. Sure it sucks, but I didnt care for disco back in the 70's either. Times have never been better for listening to music if you really think about it. Especially if your taste in music is diverse and growing, as there is a wider range of stations on cable, satellite and on the internet than ever. Seek and you'll find a channel, artist or playlist that suits your mood. Sometimes you'll hear songs you have never heard before, both old and new. Lately Pandora's Bakersfield station is in my favorites list. Takes me right back to an era I missed out on as a kid. Pedal steel guitar is up front and center! ;)