Don Sweatman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

George Keoki Lake

Don Sweatman

Post by George Keoki Lake »

News has reached me that DON SWEATMAN of Staten Island, NY., has left us. Don was a very quiet talented gentleman who was a charter member of the ALOHA INTERNATIONAL STEEL GUITAR CLUB. Not only a fine steel guitarist in his own right, his hobby was building some mighty fine steel guitars and often giving them away. It was one such guitar which he built for the famous Hawaiian Cowboy, SOL K. BRIGHT which was presented to Solomon during his only visit to the AISGC Convention in Winchester, IN. Sol loved this beautiful multi-wood fry-pan and can be seen/heard playing it on many YouTUBE videos. While attending the AISGC concerts, Don would often repair members guitars. He did so to my old 8 string bakelite Rickenbaker which was suffering an internal electronic ailment just prior to my performance. Mahalo Don...you will be missed by so many members who met you !
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I didn't know Don, but I'm sorry that I didn't, especially since he lived so close to me. RIP Don.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Sorry to hear about Don........I met Don around 1979/80 when he was recommended to me by The Bluegrass Club of NY to repair my lap steel......I believe that Don and Bill Creller were the go to guys for repairing and refurbishing steels.......
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I spoke with Don about 9 months ago and we discussed the wooden 8 string fry pan he built. Don was very knowledgable and a good craftsman.
He was always willing to chat steel guitar with anyone. My uncle Vern knew him quite well from the IHSGA.
David Yannuzzi

Post by David Yannuzzi »

I am so sorry to hear of Don's passing . When i first started playing Steel ( lap and pedal) I had an Emmons student model that needed some help . Mandolin Bros. gave me his phone # and said he might be able to help . Don Helped me with my Steel and was very knowledgable about steel guitar and especially hawaiian music .

I ended up buying and 8 string magnatone from him and took a couple of lessons from him .He was a wealth of info and just the nicest guy .

I sold that magatone but still have a notebook with some tunes he tabbed out for me . I remember he had and Gibson Lap that had a really early serial # that he would play that sounded great .

RIP DON
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

RIP Don,
prayers for all his family & friends.
bruce & lynn
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
jim flynn

Post by jim flynn »

Condolences to the Sweatman family He was a Good man!
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

I met Don twice and had the pleasure of accompanying him at one convention. A marvelous player and a terrific human being.

I still use a bar he made me from some unknown polymer. The guy was technically brilliant.

I will try to post some video of him here soon.

R.I.P., Don.

~ Bill