Robert Randolph interview

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Michael Strauss

Robert Randolph interview

Post by Michael Strauss »

Relix magazine has an interview with Robert Randolph. Read it at:
http://www.relix.com/features/2013/08/2 ... hk0ghtFSSq
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

Gosh I wonder if he can play country music on the thing. :roll:
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bob Ritter wrote:Gosh I wonder if he can play country music on the thing. :roll:
Why would he want to, Bob? Country music is not really part of the culture in the urban areas of NJ, and most likely not part of his. I say this as someone who grew up in that area as well.

I've heard him fool around with some Country stuff, but probably nothing a bona fide Country player would be in awe of.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bob Ritter wrote:Gosh I wonder if he can play country music on the thing. :roll:
Does Bill Gates know anything about computers? :\

Robert's a very accomplished player, and can play just about anything he wants to. ;-) He's not really into whiny country stuff, but he could make fools out of most of us...if he wanted to. When I first heard him, I sorta thought "What's the big deal?". It was only after really listening that I discovered...man, he's got the chops!
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

I know he can guys . I remember when he first came on the scene that was the big discussion on here. Yeah his is good but does he know how to play country on the thing. Look he is a recording artist and a consummate pro musician of course he can play country on the thing.
:lol:
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bob Ritter wrote:I know he can guys . I remember when he first came on the scene that was the big discussion on here. Yeah his is good but does he know how to play country on the thing. Look he is a recording artist and a consummate pro musician of course he can play country on the thing.
:lol:
:)
Michael Strauss

The important thing about Robert is he is everywhere. His new album has a big tour, he's on Leno and Letterman and getting a lot of press. He's plays with musicians like Clapton. He's not just a guy in the back playing this odd instrument, he's front and center it's Robert Randolph and the Family Band. He's doing more to promote the instrument we love and haven't seen since the late 60's early 70's with Garcia, Poco, The New Riders and Commander Cody when PSG crossed over from county to country rock and rock (Pink Floyd and David Gilmour on slide). He also is responsable for getting The Slide Brothers album made. No he doesn't play county but he does play PSG.
my 2 cents.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

It was the Cd "The Word" that got me into steel guitar. They played it in rotation on my cable ch.
He can play the blues also check this out he comes in at 8:30.
http://youtu.be/SgXSomPE_FY
Michael Strauss

Dennis, thanks for sharing.
Jon Sawyer

Post by Jon Sawyer »

I love the Word album too.

Also, there are 289 RR Family Band audio recordings available to stream or download (free) at the live music archive.
http://archive.org/browse.php?collectio ... field=year

That Slide Brothers album might be my favorite disc of the year so far; either that or Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite's "Get Up" album.