Interview with Paul Franklin and Vince Gill on PremierGuitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Leo Melanson

Interview with Paul Franklin and Vince Gill on PremierGuitar

Post by Leo Melanson »

This is a fantastic video for all steel and tele players ...

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1 ... ign=Buffer
Boston area country musician
Mullen G2 player
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

thanks for sharing, leo,
brilliant video!
:)
Jack Hanson

Bravo Premium Guitar, Paul Franklin, & Vince Gill

Post by Jack Hanson »

"Fantastic" may be underestimating this link.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

that was a lot of fun. can't wait to hear that record.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Mule Ferguson

Post by Mule Ferguson »

They played Fooling Around. on Willie's Roadhouse Thursday. I liked it so much I downloaded the CD from ITunes.
Mule
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

As soon as the local Wally World gets the CD, I'll get it.

One incorrect statement on Paul's guitar.
Paul Franklin used a Franklin double-neck pedal steel on Bakersfield. His father made the instrument out of formica
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Leo Melanson

bakersfield CD and Benado Steel Dream

Post by Leo Melanson »

The interview inspired me to download the Bakersfield CD. It is loaded with great steel and guitar. Old classics done in Vince Gill's range with extended solos gives them a new fresh spin .. and are a pickers dream. PF really shines and is out front more than usual .. highly recommended listening.

Also the Benado PF Steel Dream looks like a great product. Reverb, Delay and Gain in one lightweight box setup for Steel. GAS GAS GAS
Boston area country musician
Mullen G2 player
Chuck Blake

Post by Chuck Blake »

I was driving to the Office today and heard on satellite radio that someone had sent an email criticizing Charley Monk for playing the Vince and Paul collaboration. Also if I heard correctly the person felt Vince and Paul should play and record their own music and not make a big deal about covering others material.

I don't get it....what a great tribute CD. What great music.

Some people are never pleased :?:
2010 Rains 3x5 SD10, 2006 Rains 3x5 SD10 Powered by Quilter Tone Block 202 and 15' and 12' Custom Speaker cabs
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

This is also being released on vinyl for those who prefer it old school. Can't wait to get mine!
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Paul Franklin is one of the musicians who made me want to play steel guitar and Vince has been one of my favorite artists for years. Both of those guys have inspired me to sing and play. Vince and Paul play with feeling, I would've loved to have been in the studio when they were recording the "Bakersfield" record. Listening to both guys in the studio would be awesome! The Franklin steel Paul played on the record is beautiful! I wonder if he still plays the chrome Franklin or is the guitar he uses now his main guitar
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

David Gertschen wrote:This is also being released on vinyl for those who prefer it old school. Can't wait to get mine!
Dangit, I bought a down loader earlier before I saw that. The vinyl comes with an MP3 rip too. Ahh well, its a damn fine recording.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Chuck Blake

Post by Chuck Blake »

I agree Brett.....heck I wish I could master Paul's facial expressions :D

At least I could look the part....
2010 Rains 3x5 SD10, 2006 Rains 3x5 SD10 Powered by Quilter Tone Block 202 and 15' and 12' Custom Speaker cabs
Steve Perry

Post by Steve Perry »

Chuck Blake wrote:I was driving to the Office today and heard on satellite radio that someone had sent an email criticizing Charley Monk for playing the Vince and Paul collaboration. Also if I heard correctly the person felt Vince and Paul should play and record their own music and not make a big deal about covering others material.

Some people are never pleased :?:
Some people are just stupid... :roll:
Curt Trisko

Post by Curt Trisko »

I was driving to the Office today and heard on satellite radio that someone had sent an email criticizing Charley Monk for playing the Vince and Paul collaboration. Also if I heard correctly the person felt Vince and Paul should play and record their own music and not make a big deal about covering others material.

The person who sent that email must not be familiar with country music. Country music is replete with references and tributes to other country music artists... you just gotta accept it. Look at the song "Luckenbach, Texas". The songwriter references Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson... and then those two recorded it, essentially paying tribute to themselves.
Ben Banville

Post by Ben Banville »

Hey Leo,

Thanks for posting that wonderful in depth interview. It's a gear head's delight! Them boys sure can play ;~)
BenRom pedal steel, 1963 Guild Starfire III, Gretsch 5120, S.A. Robelli Strat, Fender 1957 reissue Mex. Strat, Fender Highway One Tele, Schecter Jazz-6

"Ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in"...Leonard Cohen

Ain't nothing quite like hearin' that high lonesome bent sound!