Anti-virus: whom to trust?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Brint Hannay

Anti-virus: whom to trust?

Post by Brint Hannay »

For several years I have had AVG Anti-Virus (paid version, but not the full "Internet Security" package) on my computers. From time to time the program tries to push installation of their "SafeSearch Toolbar".
Google search attempts sometimes seem to shunt to "mysearch.avg.com".

Googling "mysearch.avg.com" turns up a bunch of people ranting against AVG in obscenity-laced accusations that it is Malware and hell to remove from their computers.

I know that such rants from disgruntled computer users are to be taken with many grains of salt, but we are all paranoid these days, including myself, that legions of ill-motivated people armed with technical knowledge far beyond us are lurking in the lawless Wild West of the Internet to exploit, cheat, and violate us either totally hidden or cleverly disguised as innocuous or even as good guys.

So how is anyone to separate fact from fiction? Is AVG, or any other "Anti-Virus" program, trustworthy, useless but harmless, dangerous, real, fake? How is the poor ordinary consumer to know???
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

FWIW,

I tend to read the reviews at CNET.COM.

I currently use AVAST (free ver.) which is highly rated. Running various versions of WinXP. It is a bit of a resource hog but, you have the ability to tweak settings.

I also run Malwarebytes (free) occasionally.

I download software only from "trusted" sites.

h
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I used AVG for a long time, but finally had to can it. It was always loading stuff that I didn't want. My computer would slow down and I would check my task manager and there would be three or four AVG things running. Dumped AVG, end of problem. I only use Malwarebites. (Thanks Wiz)
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

On my task manager just now I found 8 AVG items active, using a total of 64 MB of memory. Is that a lot? (Firefox is using 154 MB).
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I've run ESET for two years without a hitch. The price is great if you buy the familty 4 PC version, otherwise it's overpriced.

Once a month I run Malware Bytes and Spybot. I ran Trend Micro (TM) for many years until it allowed trojans to kill my computer on two separate occasions. TM quit submitting their software for independent review and TM started a lot of annoying update popups. Lately I see that ESET's rating was lowered greatly by Consumer Reports and Trend Micro was rated highly here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

Looking back through a year's worth of data on the above site, it would appear that Trend Micro with cloud protection is doing well now and that ESET has slipped greatly.

A lot of it depends on your habits, security and firewall settings and whether you have a router firewall behind your modem etc. I have installed microsoft security essentials and Verizon antivirus software on many of my customer's PC's with disastrous failures in protection.

Greg
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Waiting with baited breath (or is the bad breath) for some definitive answers. I have been running Trend Micro Internet Security Pro (or something like that) and have my doubts. I also run a paid version of Malwarebytes all the time now since I got hit with that FBI ransomware virus that Trend so nicely let through. That left a real bad taste in my mouth (probably the reason for the bad breath) about Trend.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on my Win 7 system. It is integrated into Win 8 (but called Windows Defender in Win 8).

I also have a paid version of Malwarebytes.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Richard,

As a guy with "geekish tendencies" I don't believe there is a "definitive" answer, at least in the long term.

New threats appear on the scene daily. Someone like AVG may be on top of things today and miss the boat tomorrow. That goes for everyone else.

Several mistake that I(my .02) see many folks make:

1. They don't download directly from the mfg or trusted site, Thereby often receiving software bundled with "bloatware".

2. Folks download all the defaults without opting out (uncheckin boxes) for additional software or product notifications.

3. Not enabling automatic updates for definitions or the "engine" itself.

I use Avast these days. I switched from Avira about 9 mos ago when I was having issues with their automatic updates.

fwiw.

h
Richard Sinkler

I always buy from the manufacturer or the software at a computer store as I did My Trend software.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Trend Micro, backed up by MBAM
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Waiting with baited breath (or is the bad breath) ...
It's actually bated breath. If you had baited breath you'd have a worm on your tongue. :P
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

Symantec Endpoint Protection Corporate since 10.0.. Now on 12.1?

On my Win2k12 server I use nothing.. Why? I never use it to connect to the internet except for Windows Updates and it's behind 2 firewalls...

My company uses WebRoot... I can say that it's fast as hell... Whether or not it's good or not is unknown...
Richard Sinkler

Cal Sharp wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:Waiting with baited breath (or is the bad breath) ...
It's actually bated breath. If you had baited breath you'd have a worm on your tongue. :P
Who says I don't?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Most of the "techies" that I associate with use the Microsoft Security Essentials and recommend that to their clients.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

The most important part of computer security that I can impart to anybody here is: log into your computer using an account with less than Administrator privileges!

I don't care what anti virus programs you have on your computer. As good as they are nowadays, and Trend Micro is among the very best, the bad guys are constantly altering their malware delivery systems to slide through before the new definitions are published to detect these changes.

I have uploaded malware samples to VirusTotal, directly out of email scams, and found many that had between zero and three positive detections, out of about 42 security products. A few hours later that number usually improves to about half. But, it can take over 24 hours for all of the major anti-virus houses to detect a new variant or fresh piece of malware.

In 24 hours, the malware has done its job and is abandoned. Programmers go to work repacking their executables, .pdfs and .jar files.

But, despite the odds being against us, if we operate with reduced user privileges, we can reduce our infectability by about 90%. Yes, there are a few malicious programs that can run in "userland" to act as spambots, DDoS tools and info stealers. But, the majority depend on victims running as Administrators.

Note: Standard and Limited users can still be tricked into supplying Admin credentials (in a UAC box) if they really believe that the file is legit. This is where having modern, up to date, frequently updated, in the cloud definitions, anti-malware protection saves your ass.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Chuck Miller

Post by Chuck Miller »

Totally agree with Wiz. But it's hard to get users to understand that.

I still use AVG free version on the boxes that don't run Linux.

Chuck
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

with less than Administrator privileges!
Wiz,
Is doing this anything can you might be able
to explain here how to do?
I've heard of this before, perhaps from you,
but never understood how to accomplish
using or setting up such an account.
Thanks,
Russ

(Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit)
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Russ Wever wrote:
with less than Administrator privileges!
Wiz,
Is doing this anything can you might be able
to explain here how to do?
I've heard of this before, perhaps from you,
but never understood how to accomplish
using or setting up such an account.
Thanks,
Russ

(Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit)
Ask and ye shall receive!

Go to Start > Control Panel. When Control Panel opens locate the User Accounts icon and (double) click on it. When the main options window opens, click on "Add or remove user accounts." A UAC prompt box will open and ask for your administrator level password. Type it and and click on Yes.

At this point, a new page will appear listing all user account names and privileges, with several user account options beneath it. If you have been operating as an administrator from day one, you will see your account name, with the designation "Administrator" and whether it is or isn't password protected. Assuming that no account is listed as a "Standard user," click on the link below the accounts which is labeled: "Create a new account."

Give the new account a different name than your current account, then, of utmost importance, set a different password that only you will know. Save it on a piece of paper and place it in a safe place. Do not bother to set up an administrator account without a very good password.

Next, change the radio option selection from Standard User to Administrator. Review the details, select an icon, then click on "Create Account."

You have just created a new Administrator account, but it is not yet active. So, close all programs, then log off (Start > arrow next to Shut Down > Log Off). You will be at the Welcome Screen, where you will see your old account and the new account listed. Click on the new account, type in the password and click Enter.

Doing this creates the necessary folder structure, basic desktop icons and start menu for the new account. This account has Administrator privileges and should henceforth only be used when all else fails. Do not use it to browse the Internet in general. Use it to update Windows drivers, or to update, install, or uninstall programs that refuse to complete under the soon to be established Standard user account.

With the new Admin account password protected and setup, log off. At the Welcome Screen, log onto your regular account. When the icons have loaded, go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and drill back down until you locate the account you are using at that moment. Click on the name and picture that represents your account to manage its properties. Find the (probably 6th) option to "Change the account type." Make sure that the selection is set to, or change it to "Standard user" and click "Change Account Type" to apply the change.

I recommend not changing your password for your usual account, but you may do so if you please (from the same manage your account screen that allowed the change of account types). Just ensure that the password for this account is not the same as the newly established Administrator account.

Now, log off your account, then log back into it. You will now be operating as a Standard user, meaning you will have less direct privileges than before. You can learn more on my web page explaining user account privileges.

From this point onwards, you will have to type a password into the UAC prompt when installing or updating programs. Sometimes, you will have to right click on a shortcut, or installer file and select Run as Administrator, then type in the password.

Operating in this mode can reduce the likelihood of your computer silently being taken over by a drive-by or exploit kit malware attack, by up to 92% (See my blog article about this)

Good luck Russ! And, welcome to Userland, in advance.
Security Consultant
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

I have ran AVG Free for many years now, and have had zero problems, other than I sometimes have to get the core updates on my thumb drive at church and then install them at home (5GB per month limit ISP here).

A note here, anytime you download and install anything... read EVERY install screen. Most people just start clicking next, next, next, and then all the sudden, they have all kinds of tool bars and other junk on their computer. Many of those screens that aren't read had a check box to deselect the install of the garbage...

I also highly recommend downloads from the writers site. If the download link takes you somewhere else, don't do it, go find a better software.

I currently run Win XP Pro SP3, and will probably go to some Linux variant before the life cycle ends. I'll have to keep at least one XP box for my church projection software and ham radio software.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Wiz,
Thanks very much for those
Administrator instructions.
I'll print them off and
make the changes.
Thanks,
Russ
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i use Avast free version
to protect a pc from intrusion, do as Wiz recommends
set up the administrator account first & then use another account for everyday use on da web
with the user account the no good ******s can't really get into the heart of yer puter
it does protect your puter for darn sure
it's really easy to do...;-)
Don Lanier

PC Health and Safety

Post by Don Lanier »

There are several great programs that will keep your computer clean and safe,

SPYBOT Free version
HITMAN PRO Paid version
MalwareBytes
Avast Free version
CC Cleaner free version

Using these programs will keep your PC as clean as the day you bought it, I recommend you dump your Cache and cookies
monthly, and Defrag a couple times a year...

Ive used Avast for years and its stopped numerous Trojans etc, but no one program is perfect, you need to combine a couple to keep things clean and running like new, BOTS or cookies can pile up on a computer and drain system resources slowing your operation, Boot time etc way down, CC Cleaner removes these as does SPYBOT....

Spybot takes a while to run on a computer the first time, but youll be shocked at the number of things it stops, cleans and then Immunizes you from...its easy to install and easy to use, you download UPDATES, Then run the program, and it scrubs all these little BOTS that are sucking up RAM etc...

Hitman Pro is a program thats faster then most and uses a host of Cloud based programs to find and remove the bad stuff, tracking cookies and Malware. Ive used this on some really infected computers and it can cut thru the garbage and get the trojans and such out.

AVAST Paid version has a sandbox feature that basically opens files and email in a remote area and prevents the spread or activation of viruses and trojans although Ive never had any problem with the FREE version...It will try and get you to buy a Paid version but you dont have to do anything other then download a new key once a year.

Download these programs at CNET its a trusted software site and has the free and paid versions.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/
Richard Sinkler

I am using Trend Titanium Internet Security Pro. I like the program, but every year when I have to renew and I go through the install, it really screws with my computer. Of course, it doesn't like Malwarebytes and has to uninstall it. It never gets through the uninstall completely and then tells me the files are corrupted and I have to get a new copy (well you stupid f**ks at Trend, your program corrupted them when you tried to uninstall Malwarebytes. MB worked fine until you got your hands on it. And of course, at this point the MB uninstall will not work because Trend already screwed up the files. Revo uninstaller does get it uninstalled, but when it tries the MB uninstall at the beginning, it errors out, but you can get past it and get it uninstalled. Revo is a great program.). This happened on both of my computers. I ordered the backup disk when I re-subscribed. Turns out the program won't install from it and I had to do the download version, so I feel Trend ripped me off for the price of the CD. For 2 computers, it took almost 4 hours to update Trend. This WILL be the LAST year I buy their crap.
Robert Leaman

Protection

Post by Robert Leaman »

I run Kaspersky Pure 3.0 on both my computer and my wife's computer. We have no problems.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

Look into the Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete. It's wicked fast, unobtrusive, has every thing covered except email (but even then if an email tries something evil, it stops it). Also has a cleanup feature, and a computer optimizer assessor. I've had it for several months, disabled most of my other security suite software except for email spam. They have excellent customer support, people from the US, not India. There are lots of reviews on the web. FIrst security software I'm completely satisfied with (I've tried all the usual stuff)