I used BB tracks on these songs

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Richard Tipple

I used BB tracks on these songs

Post by Richard Tipple »

I used to think BB backing tracks were not up to par for actual recording sessions. But that was a few years back before they added ,,Real Tracks,,

With the mastering software I use now, with BB,, I think a useable session track, can be made with BB ?

I used BB on all these recordings,,
What do ya think ?

I only added steel & vocals,,everything else is BB

http://www.reverbnation.com/richardtipple

Please excuse my vocals,I haven't sang in years, but I gave it my best :(
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Sounds good. While asking at the forum is good, a lot of us here know what BIAB sounds like, real tracks or not. I think a lot of people can pick out a BIAB sound track, no matter where it is. Therefore we know
the sound and our op-ion is flawed.

Better off to ask those who have not heard BIAB.
heavily medicated for your safety
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Ken, I hope your not totally discounting BIAB tracks. There are lots of places where they are very useful and okay. I use them to play at home. They're more reliablel than some dumb as pickers. Irefer to BIAB as my "house band"!!!!

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

I posted this for some who do not have BB & maybe wonder what it can do or sounds like. I know of the thousands who are forum members, not all have BB.
Guess I should have said that up front :?

It makes a great back up band,,no slackers, the band plays for nothing & I can control the guitar player :)
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Richard - great job. As you know, BIAB is no different than any other instrument in that it's sound is only as good as the person using it. You are one of the ones that know how to make it work for you and sound professional. Depending on one's musical skill and how deep they want to go into the programming, BIAB can be anything from cheesey to well executed professional backing tracks. Yes, it is not as good as a capable, well disciplined group of musicians that are able to play as you direct them on your songs, but it's often much better than some session players I've heard.

Some people miss the point of using BIAB. I use it for the drums and rhythm parts when I record, and play the lead parts myself. I can work when it's convenient for me, not subject to other people's schedules, etc... It's made it possible for me to do complete songs in my home studio. I think only other musicians can tell the difference between BIAB and live musicians..... and not all musicians notice it. I've experienced this many times with my own recordings.

I enjoyed your songs both music and vocals. You did a great job and you should be proud of it.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Hay, thanks Rick, I think you explained it better than I could.

Its kinda funny, I did have a couple people ask me who the musicians were :lol:
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Thanks for your post Richard. In my rush of my original posting, I mispelled "reliable" and the expression should have read "some dumb ass pickers".

I had BIAB back in 2002, and I admitted then that it was sort of "rinky-dink". People who comment negatively on BIAB are often people who use live musicians and then when these musicians make mistakes, they manually electronically correct the mistakes by copying good notes or sections from another part of the recording to replace the bad stuff. There is nothing the matter with doing this.

There is something for everybody out there!!!

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Perfectly said Rick. Thanks.
Geo

Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

George. No, I think BIAB is wonderful. I'm just pointing out it has it's own sound and is somewhat easy to pick out.
heavily medicated for your safety
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Yes Ken I understand.

However, there are a lot of folks out there who don't know to what they're listening.

On another note (no pun intended), I saw a new CD album the other day and it said (So and so) "and his Trax Band". I'm assuming that the album is made up of tracks.

Like I call my BIAB my "house band"

Geo

Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

I've had Band in a Box for years, and I think you did a great job on your recording. Larry
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Thank you Larry, it was a combination of live musicians and BIAB about 2005. Have a good day.

G

norm mcdaniel

biab trax

Post by norm mcdaniel »

Hi guys--Ive used Biab for a long time I like it pretty well. Ive used real players a lot as well but im satisfied with BIAB and Ive never had a drunner get drunk and fall off the bandstand once :D :D
Norm in Waco Tx