Unknown, no markings. Has anyone seen one like it?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Rauen

Unknown, no markings. Has anyone seen one like it?

Post by David Rauen »

clearly it is a 6 string lap steel, square neck. No markings.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Looks like an Audiovox to me.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Seconded. One of the earliest electric guitars ever made, although this is a later model, late 30s.

If it isn't, it certainly was designed after one. It doesn't have binding, though, which is a little unusual. There are other things which also might cast some doubt for me, too.
Frank James Pracher

Post by Frank James Pracher »

David your profile says you are located in Washington, I think Audiovox steels were made and sold up in that neck of the woods? There was a write up in Vintage Guitar magazine sometime back about it.
"Don't be mad honey, but I bought another one"
Dale R Stiles

Post by Dale R Stiles »

How about a 1940's Bud-Electro by Tutmarc's son?
Peter Huggins

Post by Peter Huggins »

I'm thinking Tutmarc also, but Father or Son, I dunno. The headstocks on most of the Audiovox guitars used 8-string mando-style tuners, although the guitars were 7-string (!) The headstock here seems more elegant. Give Rick at Guitar Maniacs in Tacoma a call, he might know something.
A big THANKS to all my friends, here and everywhere !
Tom Gray

Post by Tom Gray »

Looks more like the work of Paul Tutmarc to me, though I make no claims to be an Audiovox expert. Bud usually mounted his pickups on a slant.
David Rauen

Guitar maniacs

Post by David Rauen »

Peter Huggins wrote:I'm thinking Tutmarc also, but Father or Son, I dunno. The headstocks on most of the Audiovox guitars used 8-string mando-style tuners, although the guitars were 7-string (!) The headstock here seems more elegant. Give Rick at Guitar Maniacs in Tacoma a call, he might know something.
I was having a conversation with Jason Lollar about a fender amp and he mentioned Rick. I just didn't put 2+2=4! Thanks! BTW, "belly of the beast"

Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Wow. I really like that body shape. Cool horseshoe pickup - sound OK?
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

Oh, the great Seattle steel guitar craze! Hanburts were built 2 blocks from where I live. Great article on them a few years back. Note the similar horseshoe magnet pickup on the Hanburt: http://www.vintageguitar.com/3535/hanbu ... c-guitars/
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Dale R Stiles

Post by Dale R Stiles »

Tom Gray wrote:Looks more like the work of Paul Tutmarc to me, though I make no claims to be an Audiovox expert. Bud usually mounted his pickups on a slant.
Thanks for pointing that out, Tom -- I think it was a point of pride for Bud that he slanted the pickup before others. And I think you're dead on that his father didn't slant. But I'm sure no expert on this either.

Funny, the body shape is almost identical to Buds "Serenader" or Paul's "436a" and the pick guard is shaped like Paul's "436". Horseshoe looks like pictures I've seen of Tutmarc pickups.