Bill Wynne and Halehaku Seabury-Akaka

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Wynne

Bill Wynne and Halehaku Seabury-Akaka

Post by Bill Wynne »

If you happen to be within driving distance of the modest hamlet of Ewing, NJ...

Halehaku Seabury-Akaka - who with his group, Na Hoa, garnered four Na Hoku Hanohano Awards for their debut CD release - and yours truly have teamed up for an evening of Hawaiian song and storytelling at Villa Rosa Ristorante in Ewing, NJ on Tuesday, June 18th from 6:00pm until 9:30pm. Chef Vittorio Aconi is preparing a menu of Polynesian-themed delights in addition to his acclaimed Italian menu. By word of mouth alone, reservations are already flooding in from as far away as Baltimore, Brooklyn, and Queens.

Villa Rosa is my current permanent base of musical operation as I have been performing the Great American Songbook there several times a month, and the owners have been begging me to do a "Hawaiian Night." And because NYC and Washington, D.C. get more than their fair share of Hawaiian performance while this central New Jersey town rarely has an opportunity to hear Hawaiian music, I am catering to my hometown crowd. It is also my gift to the local Hawaiian community who raised me on their music and introduced me to their unique culture. I have not performed Hawaiian music at a public venue in my home town in many a year.

Hale and I are both known for two things - falsetto singing and steel guitar. But as we have not played together in nearly two years, it remains to be seen if a steel guitar will be part of this evening. (I didn't want to mislead anyone into coming great distances only to discover there is no steel guitar.)

But if you are a fan of traditional Hawaiian music and are inclined to hear the amazing talent of Halehaku Seabury-Akaka and can get to I-95, the New Jersey Turnpike, or a train station, join us next Tuesday evening. It would be great to meet forum members in person. For reservations, call 609-882-6841.

- Bill Wynne
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bill, I will try to make it.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Recommend!!! We don't even get to hear this group in Hawaii! 8)
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Bill says,
the owners have been begging me to do a "Hawaiian Night."
I hope this stirs the crowd and starts a trend!!