Black Mullen PRP D10, SOLD OUTSIDE ***FORUM!***

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Mickey Adams

Black Mullen PRP D10, SOLD OUTSIDE ***FORUM!***

Post by Mickey Adams »

One of the few 4 pickup Mullen D10s, formerly owned by Gary Hogue...
8+9 Polished, completely overhauled SPLIT CHANGERS, Dobro timbres!...Pics coming...1st come first serve...PMs please
These guitars have a place in steel guitar history. They've been around the block, in the clubs, banged, bumped, had drinks spilled in them...Yet, when I have the guitars in my shop and Im tearing them down, I can still, feel the vibe they possess...Numerous people loved this guitar over the years, and this one is going back to original condition...She's not ready to retire. When I get through with her...She'll be miss America again....Hope ya like it Gary!!>..
In the early 90's, Gary and Junior were experimenting with Emmons stereo amplifiers. This Guitar was one of their first attempts at creating a stereo guitar to mate with these amps....Junior, feel free to chime in!....

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 30 Jun 2013 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Bumper
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Keith Howard

Post by Keith Howard »

Mickey,
Are they using a tip, ring , sleeve stereo cord/jack or does it have two output jacks for two amps?
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I had this discussion with Del this morning...Still not sure...I think it was wired to work with a stereo Emmons amp that was a flash in the pan kinda thing.
Just so you guys know....I think what Im going to do is just send this back to Mullen and have it COMPLETELY restored to original condition, less the mica. Gary was a great player and a lot of people down here in TX looked up to him...So its kind of an homage thing...When she comes back, not sure I will sell her...But if I do, she will be 3500, maybe a little more...I missed the chrome peeling off one of the endplates, so thats going to have to be renewed as well...
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Mickey, I remember this guitar very well ... this was Gary's second Mullen and is a 1988 model. It'll be great to see new life breathed into this guitar. It's funny ... I have (at least once) played every Mullen guitar that Gary ever owned ... except ... this one. I never did anything more on this black guitar other than sit down at it and check out the feel of the pedals and knee levers.

This was right about the time, I believe, when Del had not only changed from the "old" pedal design, but had started polishing the pedals to the look still seen on Mullen guitars today.

I remember Gary pointing out "the new end plates" that had no screws on the front. Del must have just switched over to those in '88 because my first Mullen (built in Dec 1987) still had the screws on the front end plate wraparounds. I'll never forget Gary showing me the front wraparound of the end plates on this guitar and saying, "Hey look, man! No screws!" He was all kinds of excited about this new look.

I haven't seen this black guitar in years, but I remember vividly how it looked when Gary had it brand new ... WOW ... it was definitely a beautiful guitar! I also remember thinking, "How can a simple black mica guitar be so downright drop-dead gorgeous?", but it was!

Without a doubt, Gary Hogue touched the lives of everyone who knew him and were blessed to hear his music and witness his great musicianship. I know he'd be proud to see this guitar brought back to original like new condition. :)

Congrats on the acquisition of this guitar, Mickey ... it is indeed a piece of steel guitar history.
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I got to sit down at this guitar when it was brand new. Gary had it at Charlie Norris music one day when I dropped by and remember the screw deal on front to because all others I had seen had the screw on the plate. If I remember correctly, Gary had it plugged into two amps and was showing me the tone settings for the pickups. Gary was a great guy and just always awed me as to what he could do on the steel. That's going to be a real piece of musical history.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
billy tam

PRP Hogue guitar

Post by billy tam »

Mickey email sent.
Billy Tam