Need Advice on 2nd PSG

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Audette

Need Advice on 2nd PSG

Post by Ben Audette »

Glad to become a part of this great forum. I am a newish player looking to upgrade from the Carter Starter a notch. I am debating a between an Emmons Student model available locally or getting one of the Stage One steels that I've read such good things about. The prices of each are similar.

The Emmons comes with volume pedal and case. It has 3 pedals and 2 knee levers on the right side. It is slightly unique from other Emmons Student models that I have seen in that in addition to the 2nd knee lever, it has a raised wooden neck. I thought maybe it was similar to the "Black Rock" series, but it has the flat metal end plates and not the wrap-arounds. Perhaps the neck is a homemade job. I've played the Emmons, and it sounds and feels good, but it would probably need to be honed in a bit by someone who knows what they are doing, so that is an extra cost that concerns me, as well as the possibility of needing to add new knee levers at some point.

I'm sort of leaning towards the Stage-One at this point because the 4 knee levers and all-pull set up are more what I'm used to with the Carter Starter, but I've been going back and forth and would just appreciate any advice from those with more experience. Thanks!
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

I saw a picture of that Emmons and my first thought was that it looked odd. Funny there is no pic of the front of the cabinet, is the Emmons logo on there? I think you'd be better off with a 3&4 setup anyway. I sent you an email, you're welcome to come check out my Stage One any time!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Stage One!
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

look at the list of guitars I have owned at the bottom of this post .... i'm expecting a new stage one in mid June ....enough said !!!!
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Dave Simonis

Post by Dave Simonis »

I'd also check out the Justice S10 3x4 model...a lot of guitar for less than $1500 new:

http://www.fredjusticemusic.com/id38.html
Dave Simonis

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

As far as I know, the Stage One is not an all pull, it is a pull-release.

The method of tuning will be different than what you're used to, more similar to a push-pull.
Bill L. Wilson

Opinion on a 2nd steel.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Having played a Justice at the Phoenix show, I think my 2nd steel will be a Justice SD-10, 4x5. And Fred is really a great guy, very knowledgeable, and builds a fine steel guitar.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Just go for a Universal and be done with it. :)
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

I completely agree on the Justice Guitar. I don't think even builders of student guitars would recommend moving from one student model to another student model. Short of a new justice , i think you should also consider a good used pro model...they come up for sale very regularly.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

My first was a Starter too, and it served me well for about a year as I was learning to play. My first pro level guitar was a used Mullen SD10 3x4 I bought locally, to which I later added an extra vertical lever. Its still my favorite to take on the road and play at shows with. Im still a new player! :P

A used pro steel from a forumite or dealer is a good idea (I've bought two here since joining), and there are plenty reasonably priced for sale. I'd recommend a newer all-pull changer for your first pro guitar, just because they are relatively easy to manage, but thats up to you. Consider the ease of adjustment and availability of parts, should you feel a need to tinker with it (hint: you just might!). A good deal on a used name brand model will hold its value. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you! :D Good luck with whatever you decide on. Keep us posted.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

I use a Stage One. Aside from great tone, stability , and ease of upkeep, I consider it an economy model, rather than a student model. There is one thing that might put off some people from playing them, and that is that the co-pedant is fixed. No customizing the pedals and levers, but for my needs through the foreseeable future this is not a problem. If you get one and decide to sell it, it will be a cinch given that the waiting list and time is getting longer every week for Doug's Stage One and Encore models.

After about a year of play, the only upkeep aside from errant G# strings is a little Teflon lube here and there. The better I get, the better the Stage One sounds. I am glad I got this as opposed to an older vintage instrument because I spend my time playing, rather than tinkering on mechanicals. That is fun too, but my Sho-Bud or ZB will come in time. :wink:
Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 29 May 2013 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Faced with that choice, the Stage One, hands down. I would not buy a better built, less functioning guitar as a successor to the carter. Since you already have a full set of knee levers, you would not want to step down unless you're going to spend money to put the rest of the levers on the Emmons guitar.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Norman Boling

Which Guitar??

Post by Norman Boling »

I think everyone that tries to play PSG shares a common urge to look for a "leg up" to a guitar that will give a boost forward in the "easier to play" and "sound better" categories.

It helps to know what kind of music interests you when choosing a guitar. Robert Randolph and Lloyd Green seem to have done ok with a single neck while others like to include Texas sounds with an additional neck and more strings.

The old joke about how to get to Carnegie hall is really not a joke. Practice is the key of course and commitment to succeed is just as important.

Where there is a will there is a way. I play a fine old Sho-Bud LDG though a cord to an old Sho-Bud single channel amp and as of yet Lloyd is not a bit scared nor has he called me to ask about licks or other stuff.

I know I already have a capable guitar, the rest is in the hands, the head, and the heart. And best of all?? It's fun.

Good luck to all that love this instrument.

Norm
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Ben,

I have been fortunate to play several in the category you seem to be looking for: Carter Starter, Stage One, ETS, Rittenberry, Justice, Mullen, and a couple. For me, it's Justice.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I agree that you should check out all the lower priced brands as mentioned. My above comment was based on the fact that the OP just listed the Stage One and Emmons as his choices. Possibly because he has a line on a used one of each, in which case the alternate selections would may be out of his price range.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

For just a few hundred more than a Zum Stage One you can get the Zum Encore which is basically a Stage One with 5 knees and the ability to change or modify your copedent. You can also choose your pickup. It's very inexpensive and gives you much more than any other economy model out there with all the room you need to grow as a player.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,