D8 or D6? Advantages

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Dering

D8 or D6? Advantages

Post by Larry Dering »

From a players perspective, how much use do you get with the extra strings on a D8? I have 2 six string lap steels with C6 and E tunings. Your take?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Those two extra strings really come in handy when you play tunings with added notes like C6th, A6th, B11th, or C#m7th. It extends your range.
Ray Montee

In response.................

Post by Ray Montee »

What Erv says is largely true........

However, I've found that the C6th/A7th tuning can provide one with everything needed for melody playing. I'm now playing my seven string with the same tuning and the bottom string does give me a little extra: E C A G E C# C
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

There's no downside, to my way of thinking. It certainly seems easier to play things in the correct keys when you have more choice of bass notes. I guess if the only thing you were doing was playing melody lines over a band, they might just be in the way, but most of us spend a lot of time alone, trying to play with ourselves. Maturely.... :lol:
Larry Dering

Thanks Erv and Ray

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks for the info, I am struggling with the desire to buy a dual 8 string, but wanted to somehow justify my cause. I was sure the extended range is nice to have but wanted a more experienced players take on this. You guys are not making it easy. Looks like I will have to man up and buy something. I respect your opinions.
Larry Dering

Dave stated "more choices."

Post by Larry Dering »

As Dave noted, more choices for bass notes. Since retirement I do more playing alone to tracks, etc. What is the favored scale length?
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Larry, you can always string up an 8 string guitar with 6 strings...obviously the opposite isn't a possibility.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Iestyn Lewis

Post by Iestyn Lewis »

I can't speak about playing them, but know this - you will have a much harder time selling a D6 when you get tired of it, because everyone thinks they need 8 strings.
Bill Hampton

Post by Bill Hampton »

I come from a dobro background so I like to have the 5th note on top. When I do this with 6 strings in a 6th tuning, I lose the root on the bottom -- so I like to have at least 7 strings.
The narrower string spacing of an 8 string is a difficult adjustment for me though.
Tony Russell

Post by Tony Russell »

Bill Hampton wrote:I come from a dobro background so I like to have the 5th note on top. When I do this with 6 strings in a 6th tuning, I lose the root on the bottom -- so I like to have at least 7 strings.
The narrower string spacing of an 8 string is a difficult adjustment for me though.
Ahh Bill - I come from a pedal steel background (using the fifth on top in C6th) and also can't work easily with less than 7 strings! Seems to be a theme here whichever direction you're going or coming! I use both a 7 and and 8 string dobro. :whoa: but not at the same time :lol:
Tony Russell Davis