New to Pedal Steel, found a 1948-1950 Gibson Console Grande

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stephen Bedell

New to Pedal Steel, found a 1948-1950 Gibson Console Grande

Post by Stephen Bedell »

Hi everyone,

I have been playing guitar, bass, drums, and mandolin for twenty years (in my early 30s now). I recently went to my first estate auction and found a non-descript, brown rectangular case sitting on a piano bench being ignored by everyone. Being from the vintage guitar world, I knew what that brown meant... Gibson. :)

I opened the case, and there was a sunburst Console Lap Steel in its original pink lined Geib case. I knew what it was immediately, but I am not versed in vintage lap steels VERY well. It didn't have a SINGLE part installed though. I figured it would be really fun to try to get it up and running again over time. I went digging around the other boxes of random musical stuff and found none of the parts. Then another box caught my eye, it had two silver plastic lap steel fingerboards sticking out of a bunch of microphone stands etc. Trying to not look too excited, I carefully went though the box and saw two familiar yet strange oval shaped P-90s. One had 7 poles, one had 8. I know Gibson pickups pretty well, and I seemed to remember that Gibson at one point used pickguard materal (black and white) for bobbins. One of these was black, and one was black/white. Anyway, I figured, what the hay, there is NO way I'm going to win the console (just graduated from college and broke :) ), but if by some miracle I did, here were the fingerboards and the pickups.

I had to wait NINE HOURS to get the chance to bid. Seriously had to watch individual boxes of ammunitiion, individual plates and creepy dolls be sold. It was extremely boring. BUT, I finally got my chance.... and won the console for $175 !!!. I couldn't believe it. Other people there had bid $250-350 for cheap, imported lap steels and an imported banjo!

I ended up winning the spare parts for $35.

Here is the best part, I get everything home and discover 99% OF THE ORIGINAL PARTS in that box! Everything! The nickel plated original legs, the electronics (unmolested, but I will need help for a small issue), the weird clear knobs, the bridges, the covers, the unused original pickguards. Literally 100%, EVERY original nickel plated screw was in a medicine bottle. Even the little machine screws that mount the tuners to the brass inserts.

It has been modded (very cleanly) with telescoping legs.

Now, it can't be all good news, it is missing:

three tuners (has three 60s replacements, but only two are good)

and... here's the tough one, the original, 7-string nickel plated nut is gone.

This is where I really need help: Do any of you have an original7-string nut laying around? I did some research, and I know I could probably find a machine shop to make one, but it wouldn't be the same to me. Wouldn't be nickel plated etc.

I will have a wiring question or two when the time comes, but I'll post about that later.

Very happy to be here and to have this ole' dude. It was bought, possibly new by Ira Bruce Stark of Virginia. He played it in gosphel and country shows. It was his estate selling it. He took GREAT care of it. He must have taken the pickguards off when it was nearly new, as they are unscratched and there is no fade below them, just lots of wear. he even kept the screws for them all these years. Amazing.

Here is a before pic of how I found it, and an after when I finished reassembling it. I have included a picture of the 8-string nut hoping that someone will have a 7 laying around. Thanks.

If you want to see bigger versions of these, just click on them, thanks.

Last edited by Stephen Bedell on 22 May 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

The box of parts had an old volume pedal in it too. A "Goodrich" Model 122.

I forgot to mention, Ira even saved all the little corners that broke off the fingerboards. I decided to only install screws in the center four holes, and I installed them only about 70% so the boards could expand and contract as they need to.
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Congratulations on a great score!
I would just get a machine shop to make the 7 string nut. It's going to be very difficult to find one, unless, of course, your good luck holds!
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Yeah, the idea of someone having an extra one.... extra from what? You may find an owner who has fabricated a few non-original ones. If you're at all handy with tools (sounds like it) you can cobble together something functional. LMII and Warmoth sell pretty big pieces of bones (check saddles too), a plain metal rod will work if you have some kind of "comb" behind it to set spacing (a comb will do!). The urge to rock will overcome the need for original perfection.
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

Good news!

Everyone keep your fingers crossed, a user here named "Tommy Wayne" just emailed me saying he may have one. Wow, wouldn't that be great!
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

The urge to rock is definitely growing. I can't wait to try it through my amps. It has taken me 20 years, but I have a 66 Vibrolux Reverb, a Tweed Deluxe, and a Marshall 100 watt tube half stack. Distortion will be interesting, but I really want to hear the cleans on the Marshall since it seems pedal guys gravitate towards solid state? The marshall will stay very very clean but can be warm too with the 4x12
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

I am going to take a few pics, but the main problem electrically for the ole Console is that the previous owner cut the pickup leads (and didn't label them, there are two per pickup) about an inch outside of the pickup. All the funky old school grounding tabs are there, but ID'ing which wire goes where will be fun. Im wondering if I will end up out of phase or something if I get them backwards. Really unfortunate that he cut them, but I can't complain as he kept the rest of it together. The harness is all untouched otherwise. Can't wait to Deoxit the pots, they are feeling a little dried out.