Re-Rigging Your Guitar on DVD

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mickey Adams

Re-Rigging Your Guitar on DVD

Post by Mickey Adams »

Ive been contemplating posting a series of videos on stripping your guitar of all its rods and starting over. The fact is that once you remove the rods, as long as the changer(s) has returned to the proper "resting" position, and the changer works properly, it can be reconfigured accurately, and precisely with just a few pointers from a tech....How cool would it be to get under your guitar and change a Push, or Pull without worrying about gimping the whole damn thing?
If I decide to do this..in depth, you can be assured that you WILL be able to eliminate several common problems with your guitar, keep it in tip=top shape mechanically, and adjust it yourself without the worries of shipping the thing to Timbuktu (thats where I live)...to fix it...I would of course charge for the DVD, but it would be reasonable...and id probably will not regret it..:-)...Im thinking of charging 4000.00 per copy....LMAO...Ok somewhere between that...and...a dollar...Sound off..please
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

Last edited by Dickie Whitley on 23 May 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Thats a great idea Micky.Just under standing how how the fingers work would be great.I learned that the hard way.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Mickey, I would be very interested. I am pretty mechanically-minded, and like fixing my own stuff. I've figured out a good bit on steel, but I do live on the far side of the world, so very hard to get assistance/advice, and I find that watching someone with many years at it, like yourself, even if I know the basics, I still pick up tons of little tips and pointers that make it all so much easier.

As part of the guarantee on the video, we do get to ship any steel we disassemble and can not put back together to you, right? No?, Well, ok, I'm still interested....

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Mickey I think that's a great idea...and $4000.00 is fine with me if you throw in a new D-10 G2, all pretty like your new one...If I'd been smart I'd a taken you up on your free offer to go through another Mullen just because you were bored...IDIOT!!!...not you, me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Randy Myers

Post by Randy Myers »

I would be very interested. Learning how it all works
RI 52 Tele
Epi Sheraton
60's Supro lap (c-6)
Blues Jr
Randall RG75
Washburn J28 Cedar top
MSA U12 8 4+1
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Did Mullen agree to that? Surely some of the tricks you learned are theirs?
Maybe convince them to sponsor the project.

It could be useful if other brands also could sponsor it, IF one of the subjects you present is specific to their brand.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

There is no trade secret information to be divulged, no....They all share common functionality...even though the designs are slightly different...
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D Great idea Mickey, I've been needing just such a tool, since I lost my rodding chart when I took my Fessendon down for some cleaning and found that 4 KL crossrods were binding up cause they were cut too long ...(wtf?)so when the Al strip that covers the back holes is screwed in place it pushes against the rod ends....how much and how soon Mickey....Stormy :mrgreen:
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Personally, I'd never recommend a tear-down unless the guitar was in bad shape, because while it's one thing to just take it apart and put it back together, I feel it's quite another thing to do a really competent setup job (like Mike Cass, Kevin Hatton, or Paul Vendemmia). I have no doubt that some of the steels that are put up for sale are the result of owners thinking they can do their own work, only to find they can never even get it back as good as it was before their "tinkering". :|
Clark Doughty

Mullen Takedown

Post by Clark Doughty »

I can vouch for MIckey's ability to explain in terms that we can understand just how to completely dismantle and put it back just like it was. I had never done this before but Mickey guided me over the phone on how to take it apart piece by piece and put it back together and it's just as good or better than it ever was and I had absolutely no problems. Some of you may have seen my post on the Mullen Takedown. I did this so I could send the body to a professional re-finisher and I now have a completely beautiful custom finished guitar and will post pictures as soon as I complete a couple finishing touches. Go for it Mickey. I think there is a real need for something like this and from my personal experience you are the one to do it. Thanks for your help and I'll send you a picture in the next few days..........clark
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

Put me on the list. Can't wait!
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

Some time ago I approached Bobbe S. about offering a Push/Pull school. I told him that no matter where he held it, I would be there. It never happened due to time constraints on his part. I would certainly be interested in your DVD's as long as they are very detailed and not just a broad brush.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Sounds like a plan Mickey. RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Mike Archer

I want a copy

Post by Mike Archer »

hey Mickey
I want a copy bro
by the way nice c6 work on your new video
teaching!! :D
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Keith Davidson

Post by Keith Davidson »