Free at last free at last!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bo Legg

Free at last free at last!

Post by Bo Legg »

I’m going back to my Strat and Tele and let someone else screw the legs on and off that heavy load of addiction.
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Wow Bo I didnt know you could do that and get away with it. :lol:
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Don't sell your gear..................you'll be sorry later on. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Ya ! -- leave all the heavy lifting to us young guys !!!! - 8)
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bo got tired of being overlooked every year for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Bo’s most notable contribution to PSG was his amazing revelation of the scientific approach to the technique of pick blocking as referred to in a previous topic,

In view of Bo’s statement here I really think it imperative that we take a second look since it may be lost forever.

click here
Bob Russell

Post by Bob Russell »

Stuart Legg wrote:Bo got tired of being overlooked every year for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Bo’s most notable contribution to PSG was his amazing revelation of the scientific approach to the technique of pick blocking as referred to in a previous topic,

In view of Bo’s statement here I really think it imperative that we take a second look since it may be lost forever.

click here
I had overlooked this before. Finally, a detailed scientific explanation! Hall of Fame material, no doubt!
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Bo-I thought you had cartage.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Chris I’m telling my new girl friend how to do the cartage, but I made the mistake of giving her a 5min. break and now I have to retrain her!
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bo maybe you should have waited till she got out of High School.
Bo’s idea of a date is taking his girl friend to McDonalds and let her play on the slide. :lol:
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Reason number 1
I got tired of folks picking out 25 songs with a lot of steel guitar in them and at the gig tell me I didn’t play the steel parts like they were on the CD. All the while the drummer plays every country song “boom chicka” all night, the guitar player does his Chuck Berry imitation and the bass player is playing a solo. Not a down beat in 6,000 bars of music.

Geez if your going to screw up a country song at least get the words right.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Sounds like a band change would have been a better call.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

No. 2
I’m feeling if I had devoted the time I've spent on the PSG to my guitar "I coulda been a contender"
He has always been my favorite musician.

Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Giving up steel guitar is like giving up alcohol. You'll be back. :lol:
Dave Bertoncini

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

Gave up both...still no alcohol, but am back to the steel addiction after about 20 years away from it
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

There you go. He'll be back in no time. :lol: ;-)

I give up alcohol at least once a week.
I haven't given up steel yet. :D
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bo sounds determined and says he’s going to sell all his Steel Guitar stuff!

Except for 3 PSGs, 1 non-pedal steel, 1 dobro and 8 steel guitar amps.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) I gave up alchohol 10 yrs ago and never looked at another beer since....I left the psg cause at the time I had to make a livin and there were more bass jobs at the time. But I never lost my craving for playin psg so I got me one and voila I'm still as mediocre as I was then but now I don't have any pressure to make the almighty $$$....WEEEEEEEEE... :mrgreen: ....yeah Bo'll be back hehehe.. ;-)
Joseph Meditz

Post by Joseph Meditz »

If Bo had only said he was going to his Tele, then that might've meant a steel guitar divorce. But since he said Strat first that means the trem will be getting a lot of use. Sooner or later the question arises as to why one uses a trem when you have a steel. So, IMO, it's just a matter of time until he takes that contraption out of its case again and plugs it in :)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I understand him to a certain extent. I've noticed that, recently, having spent so much time and effort using a tone bar, when I come to play such things as the twelve-string guitar, I seem to have lost some of the strength I used to have in my left hand, and find myself rattling where I never used to rattle before. I used to be proficient on about 30 instruments, but you cannot retain proficiency without continual practice, and the steel guitar tends to take away the time spent on other instruments.
In reality, the instruments I am most proficient in are the cittern and the lute, and maybe the guitar. I'm planning on getting back to those instruments and coming up with a new mediaeval album, the last being over twenty years ago.
So I see where Bo is coming from.
But he won't ever give up the steel guitar, as neither will I, because it's part of an array of instruments at our disposal.
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Alan , You would be good in a reniasance fair or a mid evil times show , where you can play those interesting guitars, We have such places here in Chicagoland area, Dont know if you have places like that where you live.
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Every time I hear Adrian, I get the bug to take my Tennesse Rose out of the case a see if I can make some steel guitar licks.
Kiss Curl
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

To quote a famous person from the past: I am "free at last, free at last".

As a teen-ager, and for many years after, I was afflicted with steel guitar virus. The steel-guitar was the most important thing in my life, which excluded school, work, family, and income, for many years of my life.

Finally, I saw the the light on my 70th birthday while playing a country music show with a cast of musicians and dancers who collectively may have equaled my age of 70 years.

I then and there decided to end all of those years of being gone from my wife and my children and try to make up for lost time. I'll never be able to make up for my absent years, but I am still trying.
Keith Davidson

Post by Keith Davidson »

Kiss Curl

Nice guitar playing there and a cool vid to boot.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

What have I gotten myself into?

How many Leggs are there, and are they prone to sneaking up on you and giving you a kick in the derrier?

Is there really a haunted hallway in Bo and Stuart's home?
Li'l Izzy for Guvner