Are you thinking of selling a ProFex II ?

Post here if you're looking for something special
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Are you thinking of selling a ProFex II ?

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I don't want to commit myself exactly yet to buying a replacement unit, but I'm sending my ProFex II back to Peavey for battery change (I'm still on the original battery that's been in there since 1994). I'm told the possibility exists that there could be damaging corrosion from such an old battery and that the unit might need to be replaced if the corrosion is too bad. So, I'm trying to cover my bases and if we find that my ProFex II needs replacing, I'd like to have a ready avenue to pursue in order to not lose a lot of playing time searching for one.

This is kind of like wanting to have my cake and eat it, too, but if anyone has a ProFex II that you don't actually have up for sale at the moment, but would be willing to sell if you had a buyer, please contact me.

Chances are, since my unit is still functioning correctly, there may not be any corrosion damage, but if there is and it's bad enough to warrant replacing the unit, I'd like to be able to have an immediate resource to go to for buying one in that event.

Thanks most sincerely. :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Keith Howard

Post by Keith Howard »

Jim,
I have a Profex II that I don't use. It has the batteryless mod and checked out/updated by Ken Fox about 18 months ago. Also have the big midi controller/footpedal unit with it.

Has Newmans presets loaded. Works well, I currently use a Walker Stereo Steel and a M One effects unit so this is just a spare sitting around. Not really for sale but if you were in a jam. I'd let it go for what I paid for it which I think was $225.00.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Keith, thank you so much! I'll know, probably within a few days, how my ProFex II is faring. Peavey is going to go through it as they change the battery. I guess it must not be too common for one of those internal batteries to last 19 years. :eek: You know, for some reason I've just never given a second thought about a battery being in there.

Since the unit is working perfectly, I'm told it may be okay and I may have dodged a bullet, but Peavey's concern is that, even though the unit is still working, there may be leakage from the battery causing corrosion and if the corrosion is bad enough the circuit board could be damaged beyond repair and, in that event, the unit would need to be replaced.

I'm definitely ready to buy if that worst case scenario occurs.

By the way, a friend of mine here locally has one of those Walker Stereo Steel rigs and he loves it and says it's the absolute best sounding rig he's ever had for his steel. :)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Jim, I think I read where Ken Fox was gonna quit doing that kind of work, but he used to check the Profex II's out for damage and then put in the batteryless memory chip. That way you'd be done with it. He even had some instructions with photos that showed what to look for and how to replace the chip yourself. Maybe that's still available or maybe someone else does that kind of work.
Jerry Knapper

Pii

Post by Jerry Knapper »

Jim, I have a Profex II w power supply that was upfitted in 2001. Overall it is in good condition but does not have the Newman settings in it. I would sell it for $165.
jerico47@sbcglobal.net
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Thanks, guys. :) I'll know in a few days how my ProFex is faring ... it's on its way to Peavey right now.