Ordering a steel- Anyone ever get a dud?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Doug Paluch

Ordering a steel- Anyone ever get a dud?

Post by Doug Paluch »

I know somebody out there has had one. I just ordered a Mullen, and I know they make world class steels, but what if its a dud?
Yikes!!
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

if its a Mullen its not possible to get a DUD
never even heard of a bad one
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

While I suppose it's conceivable that some defective guitars would get made, most of the guitars are built by people who will play them before they ship them. I bet it won't ship til Del plays it and pronounces it satisfactory. I also am willing to bet a substantial amount of money that if your guitar is not satisfactory, they will make it right.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 22 Apr 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ray Montee

The EMMONS Guitar Co.........................

Post by Ray Montee »

I telephone ordered my Emmons P/P and rec'd it in 1972. The phone service was superior and altho' it arrived at my home with a broken G=string and a faulty volume pot, this was corrected by the first outgoing mail from Emmons.

I agree......... If purchased factory new, I'm confident you'll find a DUD a hard thing to find.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

If the Mullen you ordered is new from the factory, you can bet that it will be the best, as for used Mullen, I've never seen a bad one there either. The Mullen crew, and Mickey Adams are top notch people, and will see to it that you are satisified. A very satisified Mullen player. Larry B.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

"Anyone ever get a dud?"

I never have.......but my steel did......
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

I would have to say that there are some that just have the "IT" factor, and the rest just pretty consistent. (talking tone) Can't explain it.

As for a Dud, no.

We stand behind the guitars we build. Can't please everyone, but if it is something we did then it will be taken care of before it gets out the door. 99.9% of the time.

Don't worry Doug, you will see in a week or two.
Keith Howard

Post by Keith Howard »

A little off topic but... I've bought 5 steels in my first 12 months of playing the darn thing. Bought them all sight unseen (all used). Not a dud in the bunch but certainly different characteristics. The newest was a one year old GFI.

My last purchase was a 1989 Mullen D-10 from Mickey. I bought it when he got it in and before he tore it down for the rebuild. I knew it was a good one when he kindly offered me my money back (after he completed the rebuild). Don't get the wrong idea. He did not try do back out of the deal just made it clear that If I didn't like it when I got it that he would do a full refund and keep it himself.

Point is, can't go wrong when dealing with good people and the folks at Mullen, along with their reps, have demonstrated this time and again.

Even so, If you really hate the guitar... well, I'm looking for another Mullen to add to the collection.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Doug, you gotta trust me on this, you will not get a dud Mullen! Especially from the factory!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Doug Paluch

Post by Doug Paluch »

No offense intended to anyone, especially the fine people at MULLEN! The Pre RP I sold had an exquisite sound. I just couldn't do E9/C6 and study 6 string all at once...

My experience comes from 6 string electrics. I'm sure every one of you that has played an extensive variety of electrics know that once in a while a great playing guitar just doesn't have the tonal characteristics that one would expect. One of the best playing teles I've ever owned had a super scooped midrange, and just wouldn't give up the goods. It truly was a dud. No amount of swapping could fix it.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Mike Mantey just said it, they stand behind 'em. And I'm pretty sure if Del doesn't think it sounds like a Mullen, it won't ship til it does.
Relax.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

I ordered a new Mullen RP U12 in 2011 and it's flawless. It also has a great sound and I doubt I will ever have a better sounding or playing steel.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I have yet to purchase a new from factory steel. But among the many I've owned, a couple were truly duds, so somebody got a new dud...
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Wow! I think worrying about that is way down there. I think all the builders are reallyl great people. Fact is everybody I have met in the Steel Guitar World has been nothing but supportive and understanding. These folks are not going to let you own a dud. Just enjoy all these great people who are willing to help you.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i guess everyone's forgotten the 'ivano' episode already?
Last edited by chris ivey on 23 Apr 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Well Chris, I tried looking it up and all I got was confused? So what was the bottom line?
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I have bought two of my Emmons from the factory and they were both great and I love dealing with the Lashleys. I would have no problem buying another from Ron Jr. in a minute and I bought one from a Forum member that I checked out with Billy Cooper, his and my friend.
Todd Brown

Post by Todd Brown »

This thread isn't about Emmons, so don't even start that. So, back on topic...Niels, that is a very naive comment. Maybe you've been lucky enough to not own a dud guitar or maybe all of them you've owned have been duds and having never owned a great sounding steel, you don't know what a great sounding steel sounds and feels like when your playing it. I gotta say Michael Van Allen is dead on with his comment. Some guitars are duds. That is a fact. It could be built perfectly. Not one flaw. But still not have that sound and feel. When you're buying online, it's the luck of the draw! They don't all sound equally as good and even the builder came on here to say basically that! You have to sit behind it and feel it as you play it to know if it has it. Out of almost a dozen steels I've owned, only 2 stand out as having that special sound and feel. What's that tell ya?

That said, you're in the hands of one of the top half dozen builders who build them perfect every time. Notice I said build them perfect. Not that they all have that sound, but you can pretty much guarantee these few will not send you a guitar with things mounted crooked or uneven. Some will. Gasp! But I've never seen a Mullen, whether it was built for a pro or not, that was put together poorly. Cross your fingers...
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

I think most of the time it is like "HowardR" said! ;-) I have never seen or heard a "Dud" with someone like Tommy White in the drivers seat! And I have seen him driving many "Brands" over the years. :roll:
Sho-Bud Steel Guitars, 3 Super Pro's, 1 Super Pro II (Rose) & 1 Finger Tip
Fender Guitars & Basses
Peavey Amps & Sound Equipment
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ok..i won't mention names, but if i received a brand new guitar with 'obviously' lousy fit and finish of end plates and also had such poor communication from the builder that everyone got p.o'd and in another case if i'd payed in full and still didn't receive what i'd ordered for 'many' years after the date and only with a fight, yes, i'd call the whole 'deal' a dud.
so...it can happen.

ps..topic title:
ordering a steel...anyone ever get a dud?

mistakes can happen. manufacturers with integrity can remedy these problems.
how they deal with it can ease alot of pain, or cause more grief.

if you think i mention it alot, if it had happened to me personally i'd never stop screaming about it.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Doug, having ordered a new Mullen, I'll venture to say don't worry about that one.

"Dud" steel has a connotation to me like "lemon" automobile- you could have a string of bad ones or one here and there, each with a different problem. The famous brand mentioned delivered overseas late and poorly built was indeed a nighmare story from a company with a pretty good rep.

As for mine- I've owned, traded, bought and sold many steels over the years and most were great in some ways, not so in others. To be a "dud" it has to have something seriously interfering with tone, sustain, or playability, (to me).

My first double neck was a famous brand keyless, extremely difficult to change the 3rd string E9, (and yes, I knew what I was doing) and would sometimes break 4 or 5 3rds before keeping one on up to pitch. Nightmare- in addition, while the C6 neck sounded fabulous, the E9 was dull and lifeless. Swappable pickups, so it wasn't that. I truly loathed that guitar.

I had one of a well-regarded mass-produced brand, and while it had a lot going for it, it just died above the 12th fret. No good for me.

One from a very respected builder, that had such shoddy construction it was amazing. Several other players have seen the same issues, while many others are highly satisfied.

Another truly beautiful, well-crafted guitar I had displayed an odd weirdness with tuning stability- I was constantly having to tweeze and adjust for different chords, especially in the studio. Maybe it just didn't like me.

While I've had really consistent performance from several major brands, I do know of some people who've had duds from some of those lines. But it's my personal experiences that would steer me away from a couple of brands.

Wear and age can also certainly create some duddage.
For instance, I've had quite a few students trying to learn on ShoBud crossovers, which generally sound great, and are nearly unplayable (tuning issues). An (expensive) rebuild could turn them into stellar guitars- but as is, for a beginner- duds. I have bought some used guitars people thought were duds, to find they just needed adjustment and TLC to play perfectly.

From my experience, I'd be shocked if a new Mullen was substandard in any way.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I guess I am naive, and lucky, and I know I am blessed. I have owned close to 100 guitars and never owned a dud. I have owned guitars with problems, but I was always able to fix them either myself or with a luthier.
Especially with electronic instruments. I have seen bad pots and pickups and bad intonation misaligned hardware, mis fit strings, but I guess I just misssed the infamous DUD!
I do think though most Duds can be resurrected! :lol:
Randy Gilliam

2 duds

Post by Randy Gilliam »

I have Bought 2 new Steels That I thought were Duds! I Wont Mention the Brands Because they are still in Dudness I Mean Buisness! Randy G. :x
Doug Paluch

Post by Doug Paluch »

I know my new Mullen will be amazing. I'm certain of it. In hindsight,, I shouldn't have started this thread. I, in no way want to cast a shadow of a doubt on such a reputable company. I wouldn't have ordered a Mullen unless I wanted one of the best names on my guitar, and the reputation and "sound" that goes with it. Someone close this thread! I don't want my name on it!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I understand your concern Doug. I don't see where you have dissed Mullen guitars at all. I believe Mike stated the issue as honestly and as well as can be said.

Some instruments have exceptional tone, while others are more average. I would say that all Mullen machining, quality of build and assembly is very much equal, but there is a quality with wood that makes some resonate and vibrate more than others, same as all other wooden instruments.

Having owned at least 3 Mullen guitars, I can say that none of them sound exactly the same. They do all have a distinct timbre and characteristics that are consistent with the fine Mullen feel and sound, however.

When you find the one that makes you grin and makes you want to play it, never let it get away from you. When the grass looks greener, compare yours with something else. You'll be able to tell right away if yours is a keeper.