Logic verses Lust in steel guitar purchasing ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Lenhart

Logic verses Lust in steel guitar purchasing ?

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I know that:

(1) it doesnt make financial sense
(2) there is nothing wrong with either steel that I have
(3) it wont make me a better player
(4) I wont sound any better
(5) its probably not a better steel than the GFI and Justice steels that I have,,,,,

but I still want an Emmons !! :) or :(

I guess I have steel G.A.S. !

Can anyone else relate to this ??
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

Larry I have a 84 SKH D10 Emmons with great tone That I gig with. A 97 D10 LLII that's killer, you would think that I would be Happy with them but no I'm waiting for a 78 PP D10 to be delivered next week. I think its a sickness. Billy
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

My lust factor is pretty high right now, but my funding is pretty low!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Joseph Meditz

Post by Joseph Meditz »

If you mean a modern all pull Emmons, I would agree with all five points since it is probably not significantly different than your Justice. (Excuse me while I climb into my flame retardant suit.) Furthermore buying something just for its name is a form of idolatry. On the other hand if you mean a good Emmons push pull I would almost disagree with all five points. (I am no expert on steel guitars, but the popularity of Emmons PPs and Sho-Buds among the pros is telling. For instance Norm Hamlet does play a GFI. However, in the really big gigs he always seems to be on an Emmons PP and sounds great.)

Comments on the five points:

1) If you sell the two guitars and buy a PP the financial impact is negligible.
2) That you are not satisfied with your guitars means there is something wrong with them or, in the least, you don't resonate with them. Hence they are wrong for you.
3) If you play an instrument you love it will make a you better player.
4) Since tone must be a strong motivation here, you will sound better.
5) This last point is arguable, but so what.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Joseph, this post was meant as a joke. :D and what's wrong with idolatry any way...
I have gretsch and Gibson guitars with Chet Atkins name on each of these cause he has always been my guitar hero...it might be that way towards the Emmons steel as well....to me,,,chet atkins is to the guitar, what buddy emmons is to the steel...the most influential person on each instrument...but thats another post ! I edited my post cause I got to thinking it might have sounded rather smart alleck on my part, and I dont want to create bad feelings. It was probably a dumb post to begin with, but just expressing some feelings...actually I have never had a desire for p/p Emmons.
Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 20 Apr 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

There's always a lot of emotional content in steel purchases, otherwise we'd all play GFI or Franklin. Or perhaps a few Buds, ZBs and push-pulls. But there's an emotional connection from the feedback of a push-pull, I felt it when I owned one (well, I still legally own it, but burglars altered my status as possessor).
Am I positive that a Zum or Mullen is so objectively markedly superior to the GFI as to be worth the higher price? Naah. But I still tried to get Bruce or Del to build my next guitar (they both declined, I want 10&7 on a U-12 and I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to work that hard).
Emotions have proved powerful at getting folk to part with the money. And there's nothing wrong with that.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I want 2 more MSAs, a Legend and a Studio Pro, And a Williams and a Zum and a Mullen and an Infinity and a Jackson and...

Donations for the collection are now being accepted. Please specify which guitar you want me to buy with your money. Thank you.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Myself, I can only own one guitar due to income. If I could buy another, I would buy something to set up at the house and leave set up. That particular guitar would be the heavy one. The lighter one would be in the car on the way to the gig. I think you should buy the Emmons and not worry about what we say.

Mike: I've sent you a sizable check for the donation cause.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Oh yes, it makes sense:

(1) it doesnt make financial sense
(2) there is nothing wrong with either steel that I have
(3) it wont make me a better player
(4) I wont sound any better
(5) its probably not a better steel than the Sho-Bud that I have,,,,,

But I still wanted that JCH that was built for Lloyd.

I'm weak, I know......
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Jan Viljoen

Universal GAS

Post by Jan Viljoen »

Interesting topic that is part of Palaeo-Psychology.

I don't want to write a thesis on this, but I will give a couple of pointers.

Musical instruments are not only tools to express emotions, but they fulfill other purposes as well.
1 They are part of a trade just like artisans use tools to build stuff. Most craftsmen have more than one hammer, hacksaw, file, etc. Each tool usually has more than one use.
So every musical instrument, even of the same kind, has a different sound which brings out different emotions, in the players mind and the listener's.
Not all pianos or saxes sound the same, not even with the same reeds or mouth pieces. Same with steel guitars.

2 The mere possession of tools and other equipment secretes endorfins in our brains that soothes our nerves and calm the emotions. Of course it can be an addiction, just like any other vice.
Same with steels, amps, vp's, tuners, strings, etc.
Its all part of the same game.

So, if one can live a normal life and acquire instruments to realize one's aims and pleasures in life AND have a normal family relationship, then just go on.
If the acquiring syndrome gives problems then of course it will have to be dealt with.
I can tell a lot more about the workings of the mind, but so far enough said.

On a personal note, I have no desire to own a PP, but I would sure love to have a good red lacquer machine.
(If it is a Williams, Jackson, Show Pro, Rittenberry it will soothe my desires) :roll:

Let the games begin!

8)
Sierra S10, Stage One, Gibson BR4, Framus, Guya 6&8, Hofner lap, Custom mandolins, Keilwerth sax.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peavey112-Valve King and Special, Marshall 100VS.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Question: How many steels (Or guitars or saxophones ect) do we actually need??

Answer: Just one more honey, I promise this is the last one.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin