Newman Courses for More Advanced players?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lana Carroll

Newman Courses for More Advanced players?

Post by Lana Carroll »

Searched the Forum last night but I didn't find an exact answer so I figured I might as well ask.

I've been playing E9 for about 5 years and I've never had the pleasure of trying out Jeff Newman's materials. I'd consider myself an intermediate player. I've got a lot of scales and licks under my belt, and a little music theory, but I'm currently working on improving my ability to move around the fretboard more, especially during back-up. I was thinking a Newman course might give me some new ideas or help expand on what I already know. There are a lot of courses listed there on the site. Any recommendations?

The ones that caught my eye were Just Jammin and Bandstand Backup.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

bandstand backup is a great course but it's pretty basic.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

"Music to Back Up By" and "Music to C6 By" (if you have a C6 neck) are both, IMHO, fairly challenging, especially the Mooney stuff on the former.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

"Music to Back Up By" and "Music to C6 By" (if you have a C6 neck) are both, IMHO, fairly challenging, especially the Mooney stuff on the former.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

"The Chord Connection" is most informative and good for playing back up. :D
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Ray, can you say a little more about what the "Chord Connection" course covers?
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

It covers Knees and peddle positions for find passing notes and chords along with easy reference to 7th on either side of the major being played that can utilize either lever. It really helped to broaden my playing ability and add to the voicing ( if that is the proper terminology). I wished I could tell you more but this only my 3rd year and I don't know a lot about the terminology. :(
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

Thanks Ray, that's super helpful.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

I'd strongly recommend his book titled "An E9th Chord Dictionary", subtitled "Quick Reference Guide and Chord Progressions". It offers positions, discussions, progressions and flow charts using these chords. I've gotten a lot out of it. It also has the benefit of being inexpensive and easy to pencil in your own notes.

Also the Up From the Top courses are worthwhile as are the 3 speed picking courses. Just Jammin is good, but you might find some of the songs take a lot of study, e.g., Crazy, as beautiful an arrangement as it is.