left arm tension

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Bartram

left arm tension

Post by Lee Bartram »

I have recently noticed that I have suddenly developed a bad habit of my left arm tensing as I play, I never used to do this so I don't know why now, Anyhow I try to concentrate on relaxing it as I am playing but then other things suffer while I am concentrating on this.Any ideas of how to get out of this and relax more.
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

I get this too, though I have always done it.

Here is a related thread:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 1ecb07d6f9
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

There are so many possibilities that speculation is near-futile without seeing you but your mention of this being new after having been playing without the problem raises the obvious question: can you identify anything at all that has changed in your life or your playing? It could be anything from new tasks at a day job to a new bed to changing to a different sized bar or different height seat......sometimes it takes an outsider to jog something obvious to the front of your brain.
Any thoughts?
Lee Bartram

Post by Lee Bartram »

the only thing I can think of is that the arthritis in my hands have gotten worse and maybe I am without noticeing it gripping by bar tighter ????
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Does your wrist either hump or dip in the transition from arm to hand? A chiropractor in the audience of a gig pointed out (he saw me wince a few times, ans volunteered some advice) told me to adjust the guitar height so the wrist was as level as possible.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects