15/16 vs 7/8 tone bar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Karen Sarkisian

15/16 vs 7/8 tone bar

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I tried a 15/16 Zirc bar at the dallas show and really liked it. any downside of 15/16 over 7/8 ? my current bar is 7/8 BJS and I am hesitant to make the switch as the Zirc bars are costly. Butch is apparently out of Hughey bars which would be of equivalent size and weight to the Zirc bar. My hands are not huge so maybe sticking with 7/8 is better ? Opinions appreciated, thanks !
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

karen..somewhere along the way i acquired a dekley i" bar. stainless i imagine. i started using it regularly many years ago and find i have trouble going back to my 7/8 bars except for practice at home which i don't take seriously. if it's not way too big for you, i would think you'd grow to love the 15/16...maybe a slightly cheaper stainless steel model. something about the mass and weight is addictive and tone inspiring. i'd like to try the 15/16 also and would if it fell in my lap (ouch)
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I bought a 1" BJS and liked what it did for the tone. Later on I got a 15/16" BJS and love everything about it. Wait until Butch gets some 15/16" made up.
Karen Sarkisian

Doug Earnest wrote:I bought a 1" BJS and liked what it did for the tone. Later on I got a 15/16" BJS and love everything about it. Wait until Butch gets some 15/16" made up.
Butch told me it would be a while unfortunately :cry:
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Karen I switched from a 7/8" to a 15/16th Hughey lite several years ago, I don't have big hands either but I found the larger diameter bar gave me better control - and as you point out the weight is the same so it was more the better control it gave me.
This is a very personal thing of course but if you thought the larger Zirc felt better, then try the BJS.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My two favorite bars are the 15/16" BJS John Hughey bar and the 15/16" Zirc bar. And I don't have big hands either.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I also prefer 15/16 and would recommend the Bullet Bar:
http://www.bulletbars.com/ as another option.
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

A 7/8ths bar is faster.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I have bars from one-half inch up to one and one-quarter inches, but normally play with a 7/8" Sho~Bud bar. As Kevin said, a heavier bar will slow you down a little on the fast moves. I've been unable to hear any appreciable difference using a larger bar on any steel but my Fender, where it does seem to help the sustain a little.. One other drawback of larger bars is that they obscure more of the frets up in "Hugheyland", and that makes them harder for some players to use and play in-tune.

Despite all the hype and the differences that players say they hear when using different bars, almost no player can listen to someone else and tell which size, type, or brand they are using.

Something to think about, anyway. :|
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I use a lot of different bars.... BJS, Black Zirc, White Zirc, Stainless, etc. 7/8, 15/16, and 1". The different sizes/weights have different feels. I don't have issues switching among different bars.... 2 minutes of adjust time. Get a bunch of different ones and trade in and out when the spirit moves you.... I think that it helps your playing to be able to adapt to different situations.

Karen Sarkisian

Thanks for all the replies I think I will order a zirc bar as bjs won't be available for a while.
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Karen I used a 7/8" steel bar for several years and really liked it. Then I bought a 15/16" Zirc bar. It is extremely easy to handle and very smooth on the strings. You have to experience it to believe it IMHO. It's my favourite bar without question. Also, I don't have big hands.
Last edited by Dennis Saydak on 14 Mar 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
john widgren

Bars

Post by john widgren »

Karen,

A 15/16 zirc bar will probably weigh close to a 7/8 steel bar, so that won't be much of a factor, and you may like the little extra dia.

I have many many (many) bars, but I always come back to a 7/8 diameter bar.

My all time faves are two vintage 60's Emmons bars.
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
john widgren

bars

Post by john widgren »

PS: Collecting bars is cheaper than collecting steel guitars....Yay!
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

The physical density of the zirc bars is noticeably lower than the BJS bars. My 3-1/2" x 15/16" Zirc is actually lighter than my 3-3/8" x 7/8" BJS bar. Weights of various size BJS and Zirc bars I own - sizes measured on a pretty accurate vernier caliper, weights on a gram scale:

White Zirc 3-3/8" x 7/8" - 190 grams
BJS 3-3/8" x 7/8" - 238 grams (actually measures 3-13/32" on the caliper)

Black Zirc 3-1/2" x 15/16" - 224 and 226 grams (I have two)
BJS - 3-5/8" x 15/16" - 291 grams

Personally, I strongly prefer the larger bars for pedal steel, but I am tall and have large hands. I prefer both the extra diameter and extra length, it's just more comfortable for me.

I think both Zirc and BJS are great bars, I mean really great. They are as smooth as silk, and just feel better than anything I've touched. I find them slightly different tonally, I guess I prefer Zirc for some things, and BJS for others. The Zirc smooths the sound out a bit when I'm pushing an amp, but still has great sustain and feel. I guess my take is that the BJS is just a bit glassier tonally, at least in my application. I wouldn't want to live without both, and carry one of each of the 15/16" bars to gigs.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

mike nolan wrote:I use a lot of different bars.... BJS, Black Zirc, White Zirc, Stainless, etc. 7/8, 15/16, and 1". The different sizes/weights have different feels. I don't have issues switching among different bars.... 2 minutes of adjust time. Get a bunch of different ones and trade in and out when the spirit moves you.... I think that it helps your playing to be able to adapt to different situations.

^this
Too many people get hung up on having the "right" thing . It could be picks , bar ,you name it even the right shoes ! Get used to playing with different gear and when you have to "improvise" you won't get in a panic .
just my tuppence worth .
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Karen, asking what size is better is like asking what color is better. It's entirely subjective. Whatever size is better is the size you prefer. I use a 1 inch bar, but that doesn't mean you should. I have a BJS and a zirc. They're both in my paca-seat, and I use whichever one I feel like at the time.

I feel that the John Pearse "frozen" bar is every bit as good as the BJS and zirc bars. Maybe even better. The only reason I don't play with one is that they don't make one long enough to suit me. (I play a U-12.) I suggest that you add one of these to your collection. You won't regret it.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Jerry Overstreet

Re: 15/16 vs 7/8 tone bar

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Karen Sarkisian wrote:I tried a 15/16 Zirc bar at the dallas show and really liked it. any downside of 15/16 over 7/8 ?
In my experience, there is no downside.....no advantage either. It's just different. I used a 15/16" for a while in the early 00's. I found no difference in the comfort or tone of the larger size, so I sold it and am quite happy with the several designs of 7/8" bars I've been using for 30+ yrs.

Only way for you to tell is try it. It might be the bomb for you....or not.
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

I find that it is easier for me to lift a larger bar 15/16 or 1 inch than a 7/8 bar. I have a BJS of each.

If you are looking to try a larger bar, but don't want to drop the big bucks, try a poloma stone slide http://www.stoneslides.com/home They are very light fun to try out and only about $25 after shipping. I like to use one on bluesy numbers...

Gordon
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

Lots of good responses so I will just add - I have small hands myself and still prefer the 15/16 over the 7/8.

I like my BJS 15/16 bar a lot better than any of the 7/8 and 1" ones I have tried, but I have yet to try a zirc bar.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

One thing I like about the zirc bar, especially up here on the Tundra, is that it feels warmer to the hand when you pick it up.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

PS: Collecting bars is cheaper than collecting steel guitars....Yay!

If I had to pick a "Desert Island Bar" - well, I just wouldn't go, that's all. :D The ones I seem to use the most (this week) are:

1" X 3.375" stainless bar, hollowed out to 5.5 oz;
1.25" X 3.75" leaded crystal bar - 5.5 oz;
1.25" X 3.75" delrin bar - 4.25 oz.

To me, the most important things are:

sound including sustain:
ease of handling (pick up tail for "penciling", pick up bar entirely);
length - If you get interested in pursuing the nearly-infinite number of forward and backward slants on a 10-string C6th - all those interlocking "W" and "Z" and "L" shapes - you need at least one really long bar just to be able to hear them.

Among electric guitarists and pedal steel players, the quality of "sustain" seems to trump everything else flying under the "sound" or "tone" banner. If a steel guitar sustains for a really long time, it's a good one; if a steel guitar sustains for a really, really long time we know it's great one! And the 12 oz behemoth bars rule the roost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DoKX-ObX5g

How'd he DO that? :whoa:

(I like decay, too)
Steve Pawlak

Post by Steve Pawlak »

I think you've got it all covered there David
I had a slide player in my band that would use a plastic pill bottle or Bic lighter in a pinch
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I've narrowed my preferences down to a BJS 15/16, a zirc 15/16 and a hollowed out (came that way) Dunlop chrome bar. As mentioned above the zirc is warmer on a cold day and a bit lighter. The big advantage of the Dunlop is that it has a super mellow tone.

It also occurs to me that the 15/16 bar might have a small bit wider contact area with the strings due to its increased circumference over the 7/8" bar. I think the heavier bars have more sustain and the 15/16 bars have a less shrill sound above the 12th fret. Urban steel legends????????

Greg