Dobro technique question...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Lipsey

Dobro technique question...

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I play pedal steel and lap steel, but just switched my lap to GBDGBD and would like to learn some of the technique that seems unique to dobro....rolls, hammer/pull-off, interweaving melody with chord picking patterns....maybe add a whole new flavor to a few tunes during a gig...I'm looking for how to accompany and solo in a band situation...

Can anyone suggest a resource that would cover that stuff?

I already know lap theory, chords, scales, slants, etc., so I don't need an intro course. And I am a visual learner, so I'd like tab more than audio, although having audio also to hear what stuff really sounds like would be good.

Just bought a Beard Road-o-phonic here on the Forum and want to treat her right...

Thanks!
Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 25 Feb 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Jimmy Heffernan has some excellent dobro instructional material. Check out http://www.jimmyheffernan.net/
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Forum member Troy Brenningmeyer has a site with video lessons plus tabs. He has stuff that can apply to both reso and steel http://www.lessonswithtroy.com
Dave Thier

Re: Dobro technique question...

Post by Dave Thier »

Steve Lipsey wrote:I play pedal steel and lap steel, but just switched my lap to GBDGBD and would like to learn some of the technique that seems unique to dobro....rolls, hammer/pull-off, interweaving melody with chord picking patterns....

I already know lap theory, chords, scales, slants, etc., so I don't need an intro course.

Thanks!
Rolls, hammer on/pull offs, and the like are usually addressed in introductory dobro material.

The previous suggestions of Jimmy Heffernan and Lessons with Troy are excellent suggestions. Good luck!

Dave
Ulrich Sinn

Post by Ulrich Sinn »

I would also add the 2 books by Michael Witcher.

While the first book is more of a rudiment it still has a lot to come back to over again later on.

The second book: the fiddle tunes are very good sounding and a bit of a challenge to play to his speed.

By far the best on playing melodic style is David Hamburger's "The Dobro Workbook". Overall an excellent book, but the melodic section really puts it head and shoulders above.

None of the 3 books are in the "Everybody Can Play Dobro" category. All of their material sounds much better than I will ever be able to perform it.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Mike Witcher is a hip and exciting player. I love a lot of the things I heard him play when we jammed. He's got some great pull-off stuff happening, very rhythmic; not sure if it's in his instructional materials, but it's worth a look.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Thanks, guys!

Heffernan simply wouldn't read my question...kept sending me generic replies. And his courses seemed more suited to someone starting from the beginning and going all the way through...

Troy's stuff looks perfect - can pick and choose and fill in the bits I need most to get me going, along with getting some general training as I go...

I just ordered the Hamburger book to start with, fill in everything from the beginning before I move on...

I'll also check out the other recommendations...

Thanks again!
-Steve
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Brian Christiano

Post by Brian Christiano »

Steve, I am surprised Jimmy Heffernan didn't respond. He is a super nice guy and talent. Was a close friend of Mike Auldridge, who recently passed away.

Greg Booth also has some stuff on YouTube. He does some drop tunings and more country style stuff out of Alaska. Good instructor.

Jimmy also does one-on-one using Skype. He said he will do 15, 30, 45, or hour sessions, your choice. I took three classes from him at ResoSummit 2011.

Both Jimmy and Greg are PSG guys as well so speak that language.

Rob Ickes has several DVDs out. Not sure if he does Skype instruction.
Brian A. Christiano, MSME, P.E.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Ulrich Sinn

Post by Ulrich Sinn »

Should have read:

Overall an excellent book, but the section on playing in "Melodic Style" really puts it head and shoulders above.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Brian-
Jimmy did respond, but he just gave somewhat generic replies to my very specific questions....given my background, I don't need or want to start at the beginning...and I found other sources, so stopped pursuing him...

I'm really happy with the Lessons with Troy organization and material...I really want examples that will let me apply my knowledge and extend it...and I'm betting that the Hamburger book will fill in any basic gaps I am unaware of...
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Jimmy Heffernan's 100 licks. DVD and tab. Its straight to the point, he just starts showin' you various Dobro licks. He'll show variations and build on some of them, but no theory or technique instruction, he assumes you already can play. Since you already have theory and technique, I think this would be a good fit for what you want to learn.
James Trout

Jimmy Heffernan

Post by James Trout »

I would also recommend Jimmy to any player at any level. I usually preview the lessons to verify they will be something worthwhile to learn (I've done the same thing with Troy's site too). What I really enjoy about Heffernan's lessons is you can get more than just song melody - usually lots of licks and techniques that get you into that "true" resonator guitar style and sound. I've been getting lessons from Jimmy for over a year and found him to be very responsive and helpful...
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hey, Steve, big dittos on the Dobro workbook, definitely eye opening info on melodic style. and a great approach to breaking scales down into three or four note patterns as melodic ammunition. Also Jimmy's 100 licks, fabulous. Some really tasty licks you'll use every day, and how to use them over various progressions.
I think you'd get a LOT out of my Theory and Number system course for Reso, it starts with beginning theory but quickly moves into all kinds of chordal and position ideas, including a thorough look at using the harmonized scale for slants and licks all over the neck.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Thanks, folks, for all of your suggestions....I'll be working through them...got plenty to do to get me through the rest of the rainy Oregon winter...

My ultimate goal is to be able to play interleaved melody and accompaniment in a solo - sort of like solo fingerstyle guitar...most of what I've seen so far has been separate licks and rolls....maybe to start it is just doing a roll while using mostly one of the strings to slide up and down and pick out the melody? I think I'll probably get there by studying them separately and using those skills to put it all together...
Ulrich Sinn

Post by Ulrich Sinn »

4 tracks from the Michel Witcher Books:

http://vimeo.com/mikewitcher/videos
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I gotta go with the Heffernan stuff, too. The green Stacy Phillip's book is pretty good, too. And sometimes, a little "review" of the rolls, scales, patterns, and the like, can be helpful. And slants---Stacy covers a lot of what I've heard Mike Auldridge call "hockey-stick" slants. Three note chords, but in addition to the slant, the string in the middle may need to be pulled behind the bar. Stacy is a whiz at that stuff.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Steve,

If you've got a handle on the fretboard and where to find chords, partial chords and the like, and have a good handle on technique, then I'd advoacate putting together your own arrangements to incorporate the ideas you speak of.

I've been enjoying taking a song and arranging it myself, always utilizing a picking pattern that pushes at the edge of my ability, while weaving the melody into the patterns.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't look to others material for advancement of your skills, but it sounds like your able to figure much of it out yourself.

I always hate being a slave to others tab and approach. That said there is a "language" of licks that will help you "speak" the music, but go for your own arrangement, I say!
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I play dobro a lot. I like the Mike Witcher instruction the best. Second choice is Jimmy Heffernan.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Brian McGaughey wrote:If you've got a handle on the fretboard and where to find chords, partial chords and the like, and have a good handle on technique, then I'd advoacate putting together your own arrangements to incorporate the ideas you speak of.

I've been enjoying taking a song and arranging it myself, always utilizing a picking pattern that pushes at the edge of my ability, while weaving the melody into the patterns.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't look to others material for advancement of your skills, but it sounds like your able to figure much of it out yourself.

I always hate being a slave to others tab and approach. That said there is a "language" of licks that will help you "speak" the music, but go for your own arrangement, I say!
Very well said Brian ... I like to listen to how others might approach a song and perhaps pick up a few licks, ideas and understanding ... but in the end, it is more satisfying and beneficial to come up with my own arrangements while, as you said, pushing to the edge of my current abilities ... I can finally see this approach starting to pay off (only been at the Resophonic for about 8 months now) ... I am beginning to "understand" the instrument's personality and nuances and how to match those up with where I am as a player and my own melodic style of playing ... lots of fun ... moreso than trying to copy or play already dictated arrangements ...
-- Rick

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Rick & Brian -
Absolutely! I haven't played in a cover band for 15 years, because I'd rather be completely coming up with my own versions of everything...

I just like to learn technique (see my original post title), and the way to do that is by playing stuff someone else came up with, until there is enough under the belt to strike out on my own...

I want to learn the basic IDEAS for licks and rolls, pull-offs, etc.,, and train my fingers to do that sort of thing, and that starts by learning some licks and rolls...I haven't found any other way to do it...

I'm enjoying the Lessons with Troy as a way to do that....and my copy of David Hamburger's Dobro Workbook should arrive today, which should fill in some of the low-level basic stuff if there is some that I don't know about...
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

Check Rob Anderlik's site. He has many tabs, videos of classic dobro tunes also many videos. He is a great instructor plus its free.

www.robanderlik.com/

Tom
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Steve Lipsey wrote:Rick & Brian -
Absolutely! I haven't played in a cover band for 15 years, because I'd rather be completely coming up with my own versions of everything...

I just like to learn technique (see my original post title), and the way to do that is by playing stuff someone else came up with, until there is enough under the belt to strike out on my own...

I want to learn the basic IDEAS for licks and rolls, pull-offs, etc.,, and train my fingers to do that sort of thing, and that starts by learning some licks and rolls...I haven't found any other way to do it...
Understood Steve and certainly valid ... I'm still learning myself and any tips I can get from other players or teachers are welcomed ... good luck and play on!
-- Rick

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I like what Tom Wolverton says: check out the first Witcher book. His right hand rolls are fundamental in what you want to be doing. And yes, the Heffernan 100 riffs is great too: together you can't go wrong.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

...and if you really want to play in a modern bluegrassy style, just "bite the bullet" and get a sharp ended bar like a Scheerhorn, Tipton or Lap Dawg.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.