Ernie Ball Steel Bar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Bressington

Ernie Ball Steel Bar

Post by Larry Bressington »

Anybody tried one?
A.K.A Chappy.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

I have been using one basically since I started.Im sure there is better on the market but I like mine and it has always been a good bar so I have never bought another one.
Larry Bressington

Ok thanks dan, i see they got some for about $20.00, i need one for abroad but only gonna get used about twice every 5 years, i just don't want one that has drag and i'm not known to cut corner's but eh?? :\
A.K.A Chappy.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

The EB bars work fine, if a bit small and light for some folks - EB has two weights, a lighter one with a white plug and the heavier with a red plug, both of which are the same size and both of which are true bullet bars with quality plating, no drag, no snag.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I have an EB.The first bar I ever bought.A little draggy,but workable as a spare.My main ones came from Don Edwards years ago and do fine,although I keep telling myself I really ought to get a BJS bar sized for a U-12.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The newer EB bars are better than they used to be. Of course, they're likely not as good as a BJS, but at a fraction of the price, they will normally suffice for all but the most demanding players. They make a good back-up accessory...just in case you ever lose or forget your regular bar. :wink:
Michael Schuppe

Post by Michael Schuppe »

I've got one with the red plug - not a bad bar at all IMO.
Howard Smith

Post by Howard Smith »

I've been using an Ernie Ball Bar, and a Dunlop Bar as well. Just recently bought a BJS bar, and there's no comparison between the others and the BJS. The BJS bar is much slicker, and I think has better sustain as well. When don't you get what you pay for...is so true.
Carter D10 8/5, Hilton VP, BJS Bar, Sonic Research Strobe Tuner, Elite' Powered Speakers, Fender Telecaster, Traynor YCV40 Tube Amp
Larry Bressington

Thanks fellows, i ordered one, i think it'll be ok, just not in mood to blow a $100 bill on one i'm going to use twice in ten years. :D
A.K.A Chappy.
Gary Jones

Post by Gary Jones »

When I worked for EB in 1978-79 we got our tone bars directly from Jim Dunlop. They were the exact same bar that Dunlop sold, only the ceramic dot in the middle was different for EB.
I don't know if that has changed since, but I suspect they are still the same bars. For the money I think they are as good as any bar on the market.

Gary Jones
Rumors of my death are only slightly exaggerated
Howard Smith

Post by Howard Smith »

Larry I don't understand how you will even be able to play, if your only going to play twice in 10 years.....what's the point?
Carter D10 8/5, Hilton VP, BJS Bar, Sonic Research Strobe Tuner, Elite' Powered Speakers, Fender Telecaster, Traynor YCV40 Tube Amp
Larry Bressington

It's for another country where i will be leaving the bar and picks at.
I already ask myself ''why bother'' ? even when i play everyday howard :lol:
A.K.A Chappy.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

texas....now, that's a whole nuther country!

coubtry jack
Howard Smith

Post by Howard Smith »

Well Larry we need to figure out how to keep you around. We need all the Steel Players we can find nowadays. It's becoming a lost art. I understand the frustration. I've only been playing a little less than a year, and it seems like I have more bad days than good ones, but I'm not getting any better lookin either, so what the heck, might as well keep trying to learn something.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Now I just want to remind you all, I'm talking about me. I can't tell 2 cents worth of difference in most of the bars. For instance, I have an Earnie Ball and I also have an old Emmons Bar and I also have a bar that has no name on it anywhere so don't know what it is. I can't tell any difference in the three at all. Yes, I can tell the difference in the BJS compared to the other three being the tone is brighter with the BJS. I still love my old Emmons bar, I've had it since I started playing and just hard to part with. To answer question, yes Earnie Ball bars are fine for any level player, again, my opnion only. And another thing, size does matter.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Did any of you know that Ernie Ball was a fine Pedal Steel p;ayer going back to the late 40's and 50's ? He played in the C6th Jazz style and had a double row of foot petals. I saw him playing with Tommy Duncan and then Wade Ray. He was way ahead of most everybody.
Sacramento Western Swing Society Hall of Fame, 1992
Larry Bressington

Thanks fellows i love BJS but i'm keeping that one here...Howard, i got to go visit Mummy in England and have a Tea and play her a few tunes at Dad's new wedding :lol: So i'll be back to annoy everyone, and i sure as hell int leaving my BJS bar over there as part of my 'Surlpus' rig...That $20.00 fix for the Ernie Ball bar should do just fine :D
A.K.A Chappy.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I had 2 EBall bars when i started playing. They were cheap and I didn't know any better.. I played the crummy plated finish off both of them. They tarnished, scratched and just wore out.

If you can't tell the difference.. what does it matter ,
Larry Bressington

It just showed up...It is very shiny and smooth across the strings up to now...A 'Medium' IS 7/8....You never know, i might down size from a 15/16th. The weight is nice and flexible.
A.K.A Chappy.
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

Like for some of you, my very first bar was an Ernie Ball. It was the only one I was able to buy in a guitar store in Italy.... Cheap, not that big deal. Even the common & cheap Dunlop 920 is much better!
Didn't use it that much but it shows marks of use as well.
It "lives" in a pouch in my car as a spare of the spare, of the spare, of the.... :D
Gianni

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

One way to tell the difference in bars is to scrape them across the highest (first) string... most bars you'll feel/hear the noise, BJS won't.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329