Best Sounding Emmons?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

This is a very interesting thread and some different concepts on the P/P sound. I just acquired a couple month ago a 1975 P/P that is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. Got it from Charlie Moore from La. and thanks Charlie. Even the guys in my band and people at our Opry that don't even play comment on the sound of it.
I've owned about 6 P/P guitars in the past and all but one were great sounding guitars. The 80's model I had just never had the tone or feel for that matter of the rest of the guitars. Don't know what it was but just didn't sound good to my ears.

I have noticed in this thread that all the great sounding guitars that are mentioned, there is always a great player sitting behind it. Never heard anyone say, that old Joe Blow down the road has a really good sounding guitar but he can't play it. My point being, are these really exceptional sounding guitars or is it the player? Could I play Randy R's guitar and folks would say it's the best sounding P/P they ever heard, I doubt it. The P/P's in my book are one of the greatest sounding guitars that have been made but I think too much emphasis is put on the player raher than the guitar. Those guys mentioned can make anything sound good.

P/P's aren't for everybody as Herb stated in another thread but those of us that like the feel and sound of the P/P will always love them. P/P's staying in tune has never been a problem with me if they have been set up correct. I haven't even touched the tuning screws on my guitar in a month and it stays right on.

This is serial nuber 2103D, just wandered if anyone knows any history of this guitar?
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Henry...thanks for putting a serial number to go with your pic. I'd like to see a database put together of p/p's with serial numbers to go along with photos.
I kinda think that after we've all shuffled off this world, p/p's will be the Strads of the future...as far as steels go. It would be nice to document them for future generations of players. Too bad that wasn't done with Strads a couple centuries ago.

So...here's 1992D
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I just can't understand why such great sounding steels are ruined cosmetically by looking like a cheap 1960's coffee table.

I can just about accept a steel covered in a solid formica colour (red, green, blue etc), but they just look plain tacky with an imitation wood finish.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I don't see the formica... I see the Emmons.
I guess it's a case of seeing the forest or the trees.
To each his own...
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Richard, I do like the solid Black or Red guitars and I like the glossy wood mica but I don't like the matte finish on any guitars. It sorta runs the looks to me. Laquer guitars are pretty but not practical because they ding up too easy. My guitar is the glossy mica and I think it's rather pretty. Yours very pretty too Skip.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.