Some nice Pete Drake steel playing?

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marcus Provis

Some nice Pete Drake steel playing?

Post by Marcus Provis »

Hi guys

I Found this on you tube of the Blackwood Brothers Quarter with Porter Wagoner, and what sounds like Pete Drake on the steel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kYSndjh5M

:)

Marcus
Emmons Black Rock S-10, Hilton Volume, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King, Fender Champion 40, Line 6 Echo Park Delay, Bullet Tone Bar.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I recall Pete doing a session with Kitty Wells and especially the song PASSWORD. Wish I knew how to bring it to life but I don't...at least I can remember how good it was !!
Henning Antonsen

Post by Henning Antonsen »

Henning Antonsen
Emmons LeGrande III
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Thank You !!! I never would have gotten that run if Tom Vollmer had not told me it was on the C6th neck. Hadn't hear it in over 20 years but it was just like yesterday !!! Again...Thank You !!

Regards, Paul
Last edited by Paul Graupp on 28 Jan 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Don't know who the steeler is...but would bet money it is not Pete.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Gary...Some of Pete's instrumentals from that era are the same C6th lick. For Pete's Sake and Southern Sunday are two good examples. No other player to my knowledge ever used it. It was really His Thing !! Perhaps that he used it on Password/Kitty Wells, sort of to a lesser degree, identifies it for me as being Pete's work.

He even used it on Teresa Brewers recordings from that time period, and she was a pop/rock star. While he was a giant in that time period, a lot of players and writers, myself included, ignored him. There was even a story that he recognized the diffetence in his work and others but saw that difference when he went to the Bank !! I, sadly, have never been able to ignore that failure on my part and regret it to this day...

Regards, Paul
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Pete Drake was known for his "head sessions" (arrangements at sessions). He was also a shrewd businessman; I've heard he had contracts with several artists that they didn't go into the studio without him or if no steel was used he still got session pay for the session.

Those same "Pete Drake Licks" were used on many sessions. He made a good living off that same set of licks.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

A Note...I crossed paths with the Drifting Cowboys way back in the past. It was Don Helms who told me about Pete's passing and I recall how hard it hit me. How could that be...we were born in the same year ???
David Hartley

Peter Drake

Post by David Hartley »

I was watching him on YouTube recently. (search for pete drake talking steel guitar forever).......

That was clever technology, I think, from many years ago..

There must surely be a modern equivalent of the voice box gadget?
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Paul,

I would agree that the player on Password sounds like Pete, but the Kitty Wells tune....don't think so.

Gary
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Gary Carriger wrote:Don't know who the steeler is...but would bet money it is not Pete.
Get your check book out.......Its Drake...He played this C6th style for about 8 years on nearly every Opry acts recordings.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Paul...I was trying to think of someway out of that situation but could not ! Thanks for the hand up !!

Regards, Paul